Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stretchad_gw

Relative cabinetry prices: brand vs. brand

stretchad
16 years ago

We're going to redo our kitchen but aren't quite ready to approach Lowes/HD for quotes on cabinetry. I was wondering if anyone has sufficient knowledge to know which brands are generally cheaper or more expensive. My assumption is that ikea is the cheapest, but I'm not sure how it goes from there.

SO, can those of you who respond supply your ranking of cabinet brands from cheapest to priciest?

This might help those of us who are early in the planning stages...

Thanks!

Comments (203)

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Holly - please read the comment directly above yours - start your own thread with this question!

• D
    9 years ago

Any info available on Mouser & their Centra series cabinetry

• Buehl
    9 years ago

*sigh*

Iseeparis, please see the comment above yours and above Holly0222's.

It should also be noted that the information in this thread is 7 years old - so the information in it may or may not be current/valid. Prices, quality, etc. of things like cabinets can change over time and 7 years is quite a while ago.

• holly0222
    9 years ago

Already did buehl

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

7 years is a lifetime of annual increases in the cabinet world. 3-5% a year means as much as a 30% difference between now and then. Also, many lines introduce new features at "no charge" and have an overall price increase much greater than the 3-5% in order to pay for that no charge feature.

• D
    9 years ago

"Sigh"

Ok

• Seth Preisler
    8 years ago

If I do an apples to apples, will a local retailer be less expensive than Lowe's? How much of a price difference between local retails will there be?

• Henna B
    8 years ago

Any suggestions on Kemper cabinets --- I know someone had raised a question but it was never addressed? Thanks

• aef808
    8 years ago

I am looking at Decora from HD or considering having a cabinet maker build custom.... Any advise from Hawaii??

• xedos
    8 years ago

Yes, shop the locals and go with the person you feel best fits your needs and personality. You'll be somewhat limited on "brands" because you live on an island.

• GreenDesigns
    8 years ago

The designer is more important any than the product. Even 8 years later this should be the takeaway.

• olds88lady
    8 years ago

Lost my lower cabinets when the dishwasher flooded the kitchen. Merilatt no longer makes the style. Oak Cabinets were 24 Years old but were in great condition considering the age/abuse that a family of 4 plus 2 dogs can do.

Now I'm shopping and have received quotes from 10K to 20K. I cannot change the layout as the Corian countertop was not damaged and will be reused. Are the standard cabinets built today a lesser quality than they were 20 years ago? I'm looking at Schrock, Decora ( from local Lumberyard) and loved Brookhaven but that one is out of the range of the insurance reimbursement.

• stacyc001
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Several people asked about Kemper with no response. I am choosing between Kemper and Dynasty. I am adding to a kitchen built in 1920 and has original built in painted wood Shaker style cabinets. Since I am adding to existing and painting the old cabinets the same white as the new ones I order, does anyone think I need to upgrade to Dynasty from Kemper? To my eye the finish looks similar, though I like a color better with Dynasty. Kemper is now all 1/2" wood and uses Blum glides which is the same as Dynasty. Both are framed. Anyone have Kemper? Thanks!

oh, and Dynasty is saying MDF insert wears better than a wood insert with the contraction and expansion due to temps and humidity. Thoughts? Always though wood would be a better product. Now don't know. Thanks again.

• johnszzz
    8 years ago

We are building new home and trying to decide btw wellborn premier line painted for kitchen and wood glazed for bathrooms vs mid-continent or aristocrat. Any suggestions what is higher quality and not a builder grade cabinet?

• johnszzz
    8 years ago

i meant to write Aristokraft, not aristocrat

• live_wire_oak
    8 years ago

All of those are builder grade cabinets. Availability of cabinetry is local. Find a line that offers 1/2" side construction, soft close doors and drawers, as standard., not as an "upgrade" that you have to pay extra for. You also want the line that allows you to have a 14 3/4" deep cabinet, had a wide variety of Minton doors, and offers an integral decorative end from the factory.

• tamizami
    8 years ago

live_wire_oak - do you know any lines that fit your recommendations? thanks in advance!

• arialvetica
    8 years ago

tamizami -- I haven't researched all of the features mentioned, but I think Starmark/Fieldstone might fit the description. We are going with Starmark because we're in South Dakota (where they are constructed) and prefer to source locally wherever possible. :)

• Eileen Carlotto
    8 years ago

Help- i want walnut wood for my cabinets- CRYSTAL is beautiful but being a custom line i think they will be expensive as they charge more for walnut but the wood is lighter and prettier. the walnut in the CANDELIGHT seems darker but they don't charge more money for it as they are a semi custom co and have walnut as one of the basic options. ideas???? the PLAIN AND FANCY walnut option was 23,000 for a 32 linear ft kitchen. I'm trying to keep it to more like 15,000

• Brad Hampshire
    7 years ago

Where are you located? If you want custom or semi-custom, Hampshire cabinets can do common Walnut, and select Walnut in both lines. You can also do particle board or plywood, frameless, framed, and inset or beaded inset in semi-custom or custom lines and the price is often times comparable to Medallion or KraftMaid in the semi-custom line. The level of finish is as good if not better than Wood-Mode custom cabinets.

• modzohreh
    7 years ago

Okay, wiser folk on this thread will smile knowingly at my starry eyed enthusiasm, but I've bitten the bullet. Here's a list of cabinet makers ordered by price. Not quality. Huge caveat: Based only on this thread with a few rudimentary Web checks by me to make sure that the company's still around. I know no more about cabinetry than that I'm in the market for a new kitchen. In other words, I'm just a punter. Get it? Not a pro.

Occasionally, you'll see prices that are based on comments above with the year of the comment. Ahem, prices are mostly from 2008. No, not adjusted for inflation, markups, new fads, price points changing.

Still helpful? I'd give it a qualified yes. Please do modify the list, if you don't mind copying and editing the list and in your post. One thing would be nice to do would be to group brands. Maybe by mass-market/ semi custom/ truly custom. Also, anyone who has shopped recently and has comps, give us the basics on your kitchen with relative prices, if you care to.

Here goes:

Ikea

Haas

Aristokraft

Homecrest

Shenandoah

Scherr's

Kraftmaid

Kitchen Craft

Schrock?

Diamond/Thomasville

Kemper

Merrilat

Mid-continent

Old River Cabinets (11x10 kitchen 13K 2010)

Medallion (HD) / Schuler (L)

Keyline (lower price Crystal range)

Wellborn (20K 2008)

Showplace (13K 3008; 20K for 25 lin ft 2008)

Fieldstone/Starmark (9x10 kitchen mix high and wall
    $19K 2010, with lots of upcharges)

Omega Dynasty (20K 2008) (0.6 Candlelight said paulines)
    (26K 2008)

Cabico (about 30% less than Candlelight paulines)

Candlelight (16K 2008) (semi custom) ( one poster reported sourcing $100 price diff to Kraftmaid) (paulines: plywood
    construction 30% upcharge)

Decora

Lifetime

Plain and Fancy

Brookhaven 2d (18K 2008) (25K 2008)

Canyon Creek

Dura Supreme

Shiloh (23x12 kitchen w/ island 39K 2010)

Bertch (23x12 kitchen w/ island 44K 2010)

Crystal (23x12 kitchen w/ island 55K 2010)

Grabill (23x12 kitchen w/ island 40-60K 2010)

Kahles

Custom Wood Products ( one comment 5K less than Crown Point)

Quakermade

Omega Pinnacle

DutchMade

Signature Custom Cabinetry

Crown Point (24 lft upper and full plus
    island: 37K 2008; o: ~45K 2010)

Columbia

Woodmode

Rutt

Neff

Quality Custom Cabinetry (45K 2010)

Hertco

Moser

Smallbone (125K 2008)

• modzohreh
    7 years ago

Some info on the big box/ major manufacturers:

MasterBrand (ordered according to MB website)

Aristokraft
    $

Homecrest
    $-$$

Diamond
    $$

Schrock
    $$

Kemper
    $$

KitchenCraft
    $$-$$$

Decora
    $$$

Omega
    Dynasty Series (Semi-custom) $$-$$$

Omega
    Pinnacle Series (more custom than Dynasty line) $$-$$$

According
    to one poster, all the following are MB: Aristokraft, Capital Cabinet, Decora, Diamond, Georgetown, HomeCrest, Kemper, Kitchen Classics, Kitchen Craft, Maple Creek,
    Omega/Dynasty, Schrock and Somersby MasterBrand Cabinet Family Link

Masco

Kraftmaid

Woodgate

Mill's
    Pride

Elkay

Schuler

Medallion

• modzohreh
    7 years ago

Darn, tabs didn't work in above post. MasterBrand cabinets are: Aristokraft $

Homecrest $-$$

Diamond $$

Schrock $$

Kemper $$

KitchenCraft $$-$$$

Decora $$$

Omega Dynasty Series (Semi-custom) $$-$$$

Omega Pinnacle Series (more custom than Dynasty line) $$-$$$

According to one poster, all the following are MB: Aristokraft, Capital Cabinet, Decora, Diamond, Georgetown, HomeCrest, Kemper, Kitchen Classics, Kitchen Craft, Maple Creek, Omega/Dynasty, Schrock and Somersby MasterBrand Cabinet Family Link

• modzohreh
    7 years ago

Masco are:

Kraftmaid

Woodgate

Mill's Pride

• modzohreh
    7 years ago

Elkay are:

Schuler

Medallion

• ssssss0606
    7 years ago

I have fortunately stumbled on this forum and I am already learning a lot.

Does anyone know of or have any experience with Grand J&K Cabinetry? How is their quality, pricing etc. with relative rating amongst others listed here. Manufacturer only provides 1 year warranty - wonder if that is an issue?

I have not heard of any discussion other than what's on J&K's website. They are solid wood 3/4" thick door panel, 5/8" cabinet grade plywood shelf, dovetail drawer, 1/2" solid wood sides, 1/2" cabinet grade plywood box, soft close,

Thank you.

• _sophiewheeler
    7 years ago

Chinese. As are most of the cheapo no warranty cabinets.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    7 years ago

The specs say they use a toner to pre-finish. That is what many low end manufacturers use so the finish is more consistent on their lower grade blotchy wood. Have you ever seen a maple or cherry finish that almost looks painted? Too consistent? From what I've been told, it's the toner. If you Want the real beauty of wood, stick with a penetrating stain, not a finish that just sits on the surface.

• lstryer
    7 years ago

Any thoughts and experiences with Greenfield cabinets - cost and quality- as compared to Signature, Brookhaven, and Rutt Regency?

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Medallion is InnerMost at Home Depot.

My HD cabinets came with a Medallion invoice.

• Rudebekia
    7 years ago

This comment will be a no-brainer for many here, but it was an enlightenment to me in my current kitchen remodel. Price the brand of cabinets you want and the exact same layout at different venders. I just bought my Shiloh cabinets at a dealer for nearly $4000. less than another dealer across town. Things like lumber yards or wholesale distributors (mine is the latter) DO often have experienced designers and the exact same product but with far less markup. Anyway, for a person on a budget who wants a good product at a good price, I was thrilled with making this discovery. I somehow naively assumed same product=same price wherever one shopped. So not true!

• paul_ma
    7 years ago

I continue to be amazed at the lifetime of this thread!

Since it continues to remain active I'll post a status report:

I got my cabinets in 2008 after watching this forum for awhile. I got Canyon Creek cabinets on the recommendation of my kitchen designer, in spite of being able to find almost no information about them here.

I was very happy with the cabinets at the time, and I remain pleased. They are well built all wood cabinets (no particle board / MDF). Being semi-custom I was able to have them sized to fit my space. They have held up very well - still look like new except that I'm not very good at keeping them clean.

I would buy these again. I don't know why Canyon Creek is so low profile.

• mmjg
    7 years ago

The garden website was a great help when we were remodeling
    our kitchen in 2014. Especially on the flooring and cabinets. I thought I would add a few comments to help
    the next kitchen remodeler. We completely remodeled our kitchen, taking it down
    to the studs. We looked at about 10 different cabinet lines at all the big box
    stores and custom cabinets recommended by several contractors. We went with Omega
    Dynasty. They have been great, the cherry is rich and warm. There was very little difference except price between Omega custom line
    and Dynasty. We found great contractor ( All Pro Builders ) that let us purchase the cabinets and he
    would install them as part of the overall job. We were responsible for the measurements and
    working with the cabinet wholesaler. We saved at least $20K doing this. The
    cabinet were made to our exact dimension.
    For example, the space for our tall storage cabinets was 59 1/2 “. We
    had one cabinet made to 30’‘and the other to 29”. They can make them to ¼ “ specifications.
    No filler space with any of the cabinets. Also the cabinet designer at the wholesaler
    recommended getting designer overlay which provides an extra 1” at the top so
    that crown molding has something to be nailed to. If you live in southern CA, I
    would check out Western States Cabinets. the link in Houzz is below. We bought Cahill solid cherry. We found in Southern CA, most of the custom cabinets
    from cabinet makers call their cabinets Cherry but they are usually made of
    alder and stained to look like cherry. See pictures and reviews by mmjg June
    2014 and March 2014

http://www.houzz.com/browseReviews/panial/all-pro-builders-inc

http://www.houzz.com/browseReviews/notjustanotherkitchen/western-states-cabinet-wholesalers/p/10

• Jonathan Miner
    6 years ago

Wow! Thanks to stretchad for starting this very informative thread. I'm embarking on a kitchen remodel this fall and live in WA. I've been evaluating the Canyon Creek cabinets and they look pretty dang good. I can't find any sort of pricing info though. My kitchen isn't huge about 10 x 16. Anyone used Canyon Creek for a similar size remodel and willing to share rough pricing for your cabinetry and any other thoughts? Thanks!

• Anne
    6 years ago

Redoing our kitchen, any comments on Aristokraft cabinets and Forevermark cabinets?

• Hockeymom
    6 years ago

Have to make a decision this week for a kitchen (l shape with island) in southern NH. Ive priced and priced: HD (american wood mark and thomasville) along with Lowes (higher priced ) and frustrated with them as the difference between every day price and "sale" price is ridiculous.

I've also gone to several lumber yards and priced the following:

JSI

Homecrest

contractor choice (um not much choice but competitive price but just cant do too much)

mid continent

dynasty

wolf classic

kitchens direct out of Portsmouth Nh (great price anyone ever hear of them?)

can anyone rank these for quality for me?

going with a shaker door style with crown molding. Soft close doors. I definitely prefer the full overlay doors over the partial overlay. I need the kitchen to wow but just don't have the budget to pay 10K on cabinetry alone.

Thanks everyone!!

• _sophiewheeler
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Cheepchinesecrapola shouldn't even be mentioned in the some sentence as Dynasty.10K is. a VERY low cabinet budget for demanding mid grade features and quality. You are in builder grade no choice territory. Compromise with something. Quality or budget. I recommend budget. It's not a realistic budget for decent mid grade quality. Cheepchinesecrola only looks and works for it's 15 minutes of fame.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

If you're in Southern NH, contact

Plaistow Cabinet Company

or

http://www.kitchens-baths-stores.com/cabinets-in-new-hampshire-c-30/cabinet-concepts-s-956/

I found Shiloh cabinets to be excellent quality and not horribly expensive. You have options other than big box stores.

• mmjg
    6 years ago

Anne Aristokraft is the budget line of the Masterbrand cabinets. Some of the earlier posts show the ranking. Many kitchen contractors use Aristokraft because they look good but not built with the same material or wood used in the better cabinets. Also, they only come in 3" increments. for example, you need a cabinet 14" wide. Well, they only come in 12" or 15", so you get the 12" and have a 2 " filler. Often Aristokraft and some of the other lower quality cabinets are called builder grade. The names is misleading. You might think that builder grade is better but usually it is the cheapest. If you can afford it, Dynasty/Omega is the top of Masterbrand cabinets. Sometimes they have discounts. Go to a cabinet wholesaler and ask. I don't know anything about Forevermark cabinets. Hope this helps.

• Hockeymom
    6 years ago

So I've upped my budget a bit..... trying to decide between Dynasty, Thomasville, Homecrest and Echelelon. Can someone please rank by quality.... so i can judge the prices i have. Please please please.

• randymwagner
    6 years ago

Corrine, If you can get Dynasty by Omega at a similar price as the others then go for it! Be sure they are all quoting apples:apples (delivery, installation, etc)

• PRO
    HL Consulting
    5 years ago

I just went to Home depot today and they told me that Decora cabinets they multiply by 2.5 to estimate the cost per linear foot of cabinets. That ends up about $800 LF for cabinets priced at $300 LF in the showroom. Last I checked Woodmode was $1000LF and there is no comparison in quality. I know this is an old thread but if anyone has any more updated information on Woodmode cost per LF it would be appreciated. I'm doing new construction and I have a BIG kitchen! I don't want to blow my entire budget on cabinets! Thanks for any help you can send my way.

• PRO
    David Hecht Custom Kitchens
    5 years ago

Jeweles, we are a Wood-Mode dealer and, as you said, there is no comparison between Wood-Mode/Brookhaven and Decora. We never price by linear foot as it's next to impossible to get an accurate price that way. Door style, wood species, which cabinets you want where, etc, all determine price. My advice would be to bring your home plans to a Wood-Mode dealer and have them design and price out a kitchen for you! Brookhaven is also a very very nice cabinet that will cost a bit less than Wood-Mode if you're trying to save a few dollars, and you won't have to go to Decora. Hope this helps!

• Satarupa Bhattacharya
    5 years ago

We are considering the following cabinet brands for a small galley kitchen: Columbia, Sollera, Bellmont. Shiloh. Any advice regarding how well these brands hold up? We would like to have painted Slab doors in white, so it seems MDF doors is the only option there. It is and will be a pretty heavily used kitchen. Does it make sense to go frameless in order to maximize space? Are we sacrificing quality in the process?

Thanks in advance folks!

• michterry77
    4 years ago

I’m doing a kitchen remodel and considering a painted cabinet with Home Crest or Kabinart. Any opinions are these companies?

• Hockeymom
    4 years ago
    We almost went with homecrest. For the price it was a good cabinet..... we ended up upgrading to omega because there was a big sale that made it more affordable. I wouldn’t hesitate to use homecrest on our next kitchen.
  • Hanieh & Fariborz
    4 years ago

How can we find out if Omega has sale going on?

• Hockeymom
    4 years ago

All cabinet have sales you just have to be proactive and talk with multiple Omega dealers in your area. If your flexible with when you are remodeling or at least ordering your cabinets chances of getting a great deal improves. i believe we ordered our cabinets 10/11 so chances are the sale is going on now!!

• lcrouter
    3 years ago

So the contractor we were working with used only Mid-Continent Cabinets. After working with him since early June to put together a plan, he just told us yesterday he won't be able to start our kitchen until at least January. My husband is a contractor (works in commercial and medical development) questioned the breakdown of $25,000 for pretty standard cabinets which we think bugged the GC. I have $15,000 in Bosch appliances sitting in a warehouse and an engineer's plan for a beam to take out a wall. We are frustrated and disappointed. My husband is now considering coordinating our reno himself. Any suggestions on to pursue cabinet work - we our outside Orlando, FL...