Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsweenc

Rabbit trail -- Mirrors in the kitchen

jsweenc
14 years ago

I have no business getting lost in this topic, but I ran across this picture in searching for stainless backsplashes for behind the range. I just love the m;rrors on either side of the range to create the impression of windows, and the way it brings light in. Good thing everything is already past changing or I may have moved the range to an inside wall just to incorporate this! I also love the chandel;ers hanging in front of the m;rrors.

Boxerpups, do you have any more pictures of this kind of thing?

And does anyone know where to get a backsplash just like this one for (relatively) cheap?

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble and Stainless Steel Kitchen

Comments (20)

• Diane Clayton
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, if you don't need the space for cabinets. Mirrors are placed for good Feng Shui if your back is to the door while cooking. That way you can be protected from marauders or noisy neighbors. My all stainless steel back on my Thermador range will have to act as a mirror of sorts. I used to have a mirror above the warming rack but now finally have a range hood. A glass tile backsplash should also do the Feng shui trick.

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Noisy neighbors, LOL! (Did you mean nosy neighbors?)

I don't know anything about what makes good Feng shu;, but I know when my gut says "I like that and I'd do it if I could" (i.e., inspiration).

We are surrounded by lake and woods so neither of those scenarios would be a concern, but I do still like the way it looks, if I didn't already have windows so close to the range.

• amberley
    14 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE this pic. I would have done something like this if I had a kitchen, say, 3xs the size! I am planning to do a mirror as my rangeback, however. I am getting an antiqued one though, so splatters don't show up. I like the idea of stealing some natural light there, as it is the darkest part of the space.

• histokitch
    14 years ago

I have an antiqued mirror that's waiting to be installed for my backsplash in my bar. Hopefully it will be in next week. The cabinets are mahogany and the counter is cararra. At this sink, your back is to the door, so maybe it will help the feng shui in the room.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

I think I would feel like I would have to dress up to cook or something in a kitchen like that!

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, fleur! Only if you were more inclined to pay attention to your reflection than what's on the stove! Oh, but the chandel;iers... I get it. Yes, fancy but gorgeous.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

LOL. The last thing I want to see in my kitchen is my own reflection in 2 great big mirrors, even if it's the occasional catch of the eye...Could scare me, as I never look quite like I expect to any more. I don't want that type of thing wrecking my baking fun, during which I can usually forget my cares and woes. ;-) I had to comment, because usually, we have similar opinions on things. But it is quite an elegant look, and if you love it, truly, I hope you find a way to have it. :-D

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amberley and histokitch, I look forward to seeing your m;rrors installed. Sounds like it will be a wonderful t0uch to both your spaces.

rhome, that's so funny! I really didn't think about the fact that I would be seeing myself in those m;rrors, only how they reflected light. I think they struck me because we tried really hard to figure out a way to put w;ndows on either side of the range but couldn't make it work. I am so far from being elegant, and my k;tchen is too! Also, I didn't think about the fright I or anyone else might get walking into the k;tchen in the middle of the night in semi or darker darkness. It really is a good thing I didn't see this before the point of no return; it may have been a regret. But I will keep this picture in a file for fun anyway and hope someone else here can use it!

• histokitch
    14 years ago

Between the Farrow & Ball paints and the antiqued mirror, Amberley and I have a lot in common in our kitchens. It's a race to the finish since we're both under construction. She's doing a lot more labor, though I did some grouting all by myself last night.

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, yes, the amazing paint thread. I tried to keep up, honest, but I was way out of my league even re@ding it! I am a simple visual-go-by-gut person, and I can't see the big picture of the subtle differences you were all discussing. It was highly informative and enjoyable though, and I hope it bears good fruit for you both. I am amazed and in admiration of all you DIYers, even grouting if nothing else. I have let my GC and his crew do all the labor, aside from decision-making (labor for me). From what I've seen, you are both on your way to incredible k;tchens!

• clergychick
    14 years ago

Please excuse a bit of a side track on this rabbit trail!

I am also planning for a mirror in my kit*chen. We are reproducing a mantle that is in the farmhouse that my grandfather grew up in -- it will be the mantle/hood over the cooktop. The original has a mirror in it.

So amberley and histokitch -- can you tell me where you found your an*tique mirrors? Thanks! --Amy

• histokitch
    14 years ago

Any glass place can antique silver a piece of glass. My glass was a window pane from the original windows in the Flatiron Blg in NYC. An architectural salvage place in NYC silvered it for me. It only matters to me, though, because I love that building. Any glass will do. If you google "antiqued mirror glass" you'll get some good websites.

• John Liu
    14 years ago

If I had a mirror in the kitchen.

It would be slightly convex (like a funhouse mirror, but much more subtle). The mirror would slim my reflection. The lighting would flatter. The Theme From Rocky would play every time I walked in front of the mirror.

And someone else would make breakfasts.

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for a great laugh, johnliu. You could program the mirror to go off like those bass that sing "Take Me to the River" every time someone walks by. But I don't believe the part about the bre@kfasts. You'd be miserable if you weren't cooking. Maybe once a week.

• autumngal
    14 years ago

Hysterical!

My neighbor has mirrors for her backsplash. It's kind of neat, but also distracting.

My mother insisted on me putting a large mirror over my stove in one of my first apartments because of the feng shui. I can't say that it helped much of anything, but it looked good and it was a great apartment.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

LOL johnliu...now that is a vision!!!

I didn't know you could get any glass antique mirrored...good to know. I love the idea of the fireplace surround with a built in mirror so that would be interesting.

I never thought of a mirror in a kitchen. Kewl topic.

• marybeth201
    14 years ago

Where did you get those beautiful chandeliers?

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

marybeth, since yesterday they have existed in my imagination only, as far as I'm concerned. : ) They belong to someone else (see the link above), and they would probably be ill-at-ease in my ranch type h0use with 8' ceilings. But they are gorgeous and I love looking at them in that k;tchen.

• User
    14 years ago

I have mirrors in my kitchen. Cathing reflections takes some getting used to, but I love the additional light and sense of expansion.
    {{gwi:1584093}}

• jsweenc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very cool, dian! Thank you for sharing! It does look like it brings a lot of light in. Lovely k;tchen too!