Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debsan_gw

My new kitchen--minus a few details. . .lots of pictures.

debsan
15 years ago

Well, it's been almost done now for a couple months. Still need to figure out backsplash. Anyone have any ideas for me? I have some copper tiles that I'd planned to use as accent tiles, but I can't find the perfect combo. Trouble is, the kitchen is dark, so everything seems to look too dark. I was leaning toward something green that might complement the copper tile, but since I haven't found anything that's just right, I may go with a nice light neutral like white or off-white. I love carrera, but I'm not sure how it would look with the rest of the kitchen. Also, the range hood is going to get a copper accent on the front soon.

Here's the kitchen & dining area

Oops, I should have closed that cabinet door.

Ahhh . . that's better!

Prep island is great--especially the cool trash chute with trash pull out and the fun & funky copper veggie sink.

One more close up of that trash chute. Homage to the trash chute, because I love it so much!

Front of island, with outlet for the laptop(s). Perfect for drinkin' coffee & catching up with GW.

Comments (21)

• Christine Clemens
    15 years ago

Wow! It is beautiful. I especially love the window, the countertops and that island! How cool is that? Perfect spot for entertaining. What brand is your refrigerator?

• steff_1
    15 years ago

I'm working with copper accent tiles, too. Slate is the best match so far. You can get it in lighter colors and mix with other tile to keep it from being too dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn gauge slate

• steff_1
    15 years ago

Oops. I meant to add that I love your kitchen. The cazo sink is a great touch. The trash chute is awesome. I'm moving my trash containers to the island, so will put the possibility on my list.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

What a welcoming place you have created! I would love to drop by for coffee! :>) I really like how how the supports for the countertop overhang were designed- great combo of form and function!

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!!! I love that trash chute! We didn't put the trash on the island (too late to change) but would have copied your idea if I had put it there! I love the curved island too, so great for conversation when you're sitting there.

• lyno
    15 years ago

You did a great job! I love your cabinets, countertop, your trash shoot, and sink...well, all of it! What kind of wood are your cabinets? So pretty!

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Debsan, OMG, we're twins! I just put cherry shaker cabs with walnut pegs in my kitchen with soapstone and black hardware, too. I even have the same style of mullions on my french doors. They're white, though, to match the trim in my house. Obviously I love your kitchen!

I've been planning on carrara subway tiles, but for a variety of reasons have been putting that off. If you go that route, I can get a sneak preview of how it'd look. I also think the ming green that Anita(nomoreblue) used would look great.

Your trash chute is so clever and I love your gorgeous arched window!

• stiles
    15 years ago

Love the curves! Great idea with the trash chute. I think a tumbled slate would complete the warm look or how about glass tile maybe with a coppery or green sheen?

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

I love your island! I wish I had space in my kitchen for a beautiful curved island. And that trash chute is genius - but do you find you can smell the garbage through it? What type of soapstone is that? I love the veining.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Unique and very cool. Congratulations! I think your backsplash needs an 'edginess' to it that marble or tumbled stone wouldn't have...Well maybe the tiny marble bricks have it. I was thinking of glass, but I'm sure there are other options. Something sharp and clean with some zing.

• debsan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aww...shucks. You're all so nice. Thanks for the nice compliments and the feedback, now let me see if I can answer some of the questions.
    The fridge and the cooktop are both Jenn-Air.
    The cabinets are natural cherry.
    The windows and doors are all knotty alder stained to match the cherry.
    The soapstone is Vermont Green Mountain.
    The trash chute was custom-made by Jim Sullivan a copper craftsman. Great guy BTW!
    Haven't had any problem with garbage smell, but the two cans in the pull-out aren't too large, so they get emptied often.

Regarding Nomoreblue's Green Ming, she actually posted a picture for me of it. It would be a definate possibility.
    I also considered green slate and tumbled copper slate,as well as glass tiles, but I still haven't settled on anything. I'd like to find something fresh or something with a little edge as rhome suggested. Any ideas?

By the way Laxsupermom, I've always wanted a twin, when can I see what my twin's kitchen looks like???

• rosie
    15 years ago

Congratulations on an already-loved kitchen. Your island must be an absolutely wonderful place to work and chat. I want a trash chute too!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I LOVE that soapstone. We went with Green Mountain too-- will be installed in just over a week-- can't wait!

Wonderful kitchen! The trash chute is such a clever idea. That's going to be a really fun kitchen to work in. Enjoy!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Love your cool touches, really nice kitchen!
    congrats and enjoy!
    vic

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and very sharp island.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

debsan, I should have sortof finished pics mid-April. We're DIY and I haven't worked on the kitchen at all lately.(needs trim, paint, etc.) My parents are moving to GA at the end of the month, so I've been helping them sort and box things up on the weekends. Currently they live 2 1/2hrs away from me. We'll be staying with them for a week for Easter and hope to start working on the kitchen again when we get back. Maybe I'll find the perfect backsplash tile down in Atlanta. ;-P

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

Congratulations! Beautiful kitchen. Love the arched window with the curved island. Well thought out and warm space. Enjoy your new space!

• startbright
    15 years ago

Beautiful combination - you will definitely find the right back splash. I agree light, perhaps with a shine to illuminate the area. By the way, what sink did you use to compliment the soapstone? Can you post a close up?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Did you see Redroze's fantastic 2x8 tile backsplash? It's classic and understated/low-key, but also a little edgy and definitely contemporary because of the sleek proportion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redroze's blog -backspash detail 2/3 down the page

• debsan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Starbright, after considering Blanco silgranit sinks, I chose the Swanstone Ascend in Nero. It is very versatile. It's larger than I'd imagined, so I'm very glad that I didn't get any of the larger sinks I'd considered. I will post a picture as soon as I finish all the dishes leftover from yesterday's St. Patrick's festivities.

• HU-387143
    8 years ago

Nice! Where did you get the trash chute?

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner