Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Island cabinet layout

Kristen Hallock
11 years ago

Here is a picture of the kitchen layout. The cabinet selections arent set in stone yet. I need help finalizing. I think since I already have pot & pan draws flanking the range, I should change the 42" drawers that are in the island.

The island is supposed to be 48" wide by 66" long. On the end by the range I was planning a 21" wide double trash pullout facing the main sink. Then across from that would be a 24" sink base that would face the range and hold a prep sink. I know the picture above is showing a 27" SB. But I think I'll change it to 24".

On the other end of the island (facing the kitchen table), I was toying with the idea of having a 12" deep cabinet to hold cookbooks. We had something like this in our old kitchen, and we have alot of cookbooks to hold. But I am wondering if a 48" wide 12" deep cabinet is too much? Should it be 24" wide and have another 12" wide 12" deep cabinet on either side? or will the 48" wide cabinet look fine?

Then the middle of the island is undetermined. I figured on the sink side I have 33" left. So maybe a 27" wide bank of drawers and a 6" wide open wine rack? And on the fridge side I have 30" left of space. So maybe just a 30" wide bank of drawers?

Comments (9)

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

Do you have enough cookbooks or other things that you could use open shelves instead of cabinets?

If it was me, I think I'd put in two 24's; a single 48" cabinet would have some pretty big doors. Putting a 12" on either side of a 24" cuts into your usable space a bit.

Have you already laid out where all your belongings will go in the new layout? If you have any less used, bulky items, maybe you should go with two 24" wide, 15" deep cabs - not too deep for your cookbooks in one half, but a lot more space if you want to store anything else in the other half. Since you don't have the rest of the island nailed down, it wouldn't be taking away from something you already have.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are just going with Kraftmaid cabinets and they do not have 15" deep cabinets from what I can tell.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone else? Is a 48" wide 12" deep cabinet too big? I do have some mixing bowls I guess that would looks nice in an open shelf, or behind a glass door here. Or should I go with the 2 24" cabinets?

• User
    11 years ago

Any semi custom cabinet maker, including KM, has 15" deep cabinets as a modification available. Talk with your KD. Should be about a 15% upcharge for those particular cabinets.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! I will ask. I didn't see 15" is the spec book so I assumed they only had 12 & 24" for base cabinets.

• smiling
    11 years ago

That area will be very near your fridge, maybe you could think what drawer/ cabinet mix would work well for your "tupperware" storage containers, wraps, foils, baggies, unless you already have that planned for another location.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I've rethought the cabinet layout a bit.

Please tell me what you think of the items I have listed here and give me feedback on where I am storing different things.

Thank you!

I'm really interested in the island bookshelf - should I do a 48" wide one? Or split it to 2-24" bookshelves? If I cant fill it up with cookbooks (I do have alot), i could also keep my kids crap in here that they like to use like crayons, coloring books, etc... I am leaning towards regular doors if I do this, so it hides the mess.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

On the bookcase/storage area, you could do two 15 doors flanking an 18 in bookcase.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats not a bad idea too!

I just came back from Lowes and had the guy make it an open (no doors) 48" wide bookcase. But maybe it would be better to have the setup you described with the 18" middle one wide open for cookbooks and the 15" on the sides could be to keep my kids' crap in (crayons, coloring books, random crap) with doors on those.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!