Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ucl led & plug mold- peke and others

Posted by a2gemini (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 11:39

Peke asked about the UCL and plug mold

The lights are GMLighting Larc3 LED dimmable -so yes they are hard wired. We needed to use a transformer for the lights. The lights are white but dim nicely and are 3000K
Initially, we had them flush against the trim - but we had shadows and Sparky moved them back about an inch so the lights are centered 1.5 inches from the trim

photo IMG_7012.jpg

photo IMG_7009.jpg

The plug mold came from Sparky aka electrician. They are standard GFCI strips and GC built a 45+/- strip to mount them.
I think you can see the a bit of the 45 degree angle strip if you look closely.
Sparky also used "conduit" to hide the wires as well.
I didn't like the industrial look of the angle plug mold that I saw. My only regret - I left a couple plugs in the backsplash.
Note the trim hides the lights completely (except for one bridge due to a cold air return in the wall - but only kids or shorter peeps will notice it)
 photo IMG_7258-1.jpg

For the lighting in the glass cabinet - we used Kimberly triple bright LED tape light with a dimmer. It was supposed to be single bright but it was backordered, so they gave us the triple bright at the same price.
 photo IMG_0007_2.jpg

The last of our LED lights are in the sunroom - we used Kimberly triple bright tape lights in this area also.

For the rest of the kitchen, we used 5 inch cans with Cooper LED kits and Lutron dimmers. The incandescent lighting is by Hubbardton Forge
 photo IMG_7252.jpg

photo IMG_7131.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ucl led & plug mold- peke and others

So where did they put the transformer for the ucl's? I'm sure my GC knows these things, but I have no idea how they do that stuff!

Thanks for the photos!

o

The transformers are in the basement under the kitchen.
You can also put them up in the top shelf in the back of a cabinet.
My pleasure on the photos.

o

A2Gemini, thank you for posting the pics. I like your idea of no plugs in the backsplash. I think I will try that too if I can find the electric bar to put under each upper cabinet.

So the LED UCLs are hard wired, but they still need a transformer to lower the voltage? So you would have 1 transformer per LED light? Same with the tape light in the glass cabinets?

Peke

o

The LED cans do not need a transformer. We used Lutron dimmers designed for LED lights.
There is one transformer for all of the UCL LEDs
A second one runs the glass cabinet.
A third one runs our shelf/above cave LEDs
You will need a transformer for each switch run.
Also check on the lighting forum - I think someone is making LED UCL lights that don't need a transformer- but maybe I just imagined seeing a no transformer system.
Transformers are expensive -so do look around.
Make sense?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here