Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinetesori

Frameless cabinets with ice box latches

carolinetesori
13 years ago

I need help from all you beautiful kitchen design enthusiasts. I'm going for the Christopher Peacock white with marble look, albeit on a budget. I underestimated my love of inset cabinets (darn it, darn it) and went with frameless/full overlay to save on budget and figured the overall look would be close enough...sigh. I also didn't think logistically about hardware on frameless and how it's more difficult (but not impossible - thanks to this forum) to place icebox latches on them, which I REALLY want. It requires matching doors and, in my small kitchen, there are only very few matching doors and they are sporadically placed. One set on top left, one small set above the fridge, and one set on a bottom cabinet on opposite end of the upper one. double sigh. So now I'm a little disheartened with the renovation that I've saved for years & years for.

I know it's fine to mix hardware but most people seem to have some congruity with it - all glass cabinets or all uppers are icebox, etc. Mine would be all jumbled. What do you think?

Can anyone with frameless post pics? I've seen Willow Decor's beautiful kitchen (she has on her uppers so it flows nicely). Anyone else have some?

Thanks so much for all your insights.

Comments (9)

• Fori
    13 years ago

Would people notice if you only used one half of the latch, the part with the handle? Or if you installed both parts on one door and never actually turned the latch? I'm not sure...but maybe, depending on the hardware. (It would sure be easier to open your cabinets!)

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

Well if it's any consolation, I did bust the budget to get the inset cabinets so I could use the icebox hinges and now I'm playing around with all the hardware on the installed cabinets and I am considering NOT using the icebox latches at all.

A whole kitchen full of those little "tails" on the handles of the icebox latches add a lot of busyness/visual clutter to the kitchen, I'm realizing. On the other hand, cupboard latches (the oval knob style catches) look more streamlined (to my eye) and using them on every cabinet looks harmonious to me, rather than busy. Icebox latches introduce a strong horizontal line which I hadn't anticipated where I am trying to emphasize verticality of tall ceilings/stacked cabinets.

The kitchens where I've seen ice box latches used most successfully always seem to use them selectively (NOT everywhere) and often on lower cabinets rather than uppers. I'm thinking of some kitchens I've seen here...katieob and meredithanneo's kitchens come to mind... there are others I'm forgetting, I will see if I can find any photo links for you...

I think if you truly love them this much (have you gotten one and played with it yet?) you may be sad if you don't put one somewhere...would they work under you kitchen sink cabinet? To me that would be a sensible spot to have special hardware...you only have one sink cabinet (presumably?) so I feel that hardware can more easily stand on its own (just my opinion, and I tend to be very symmetrical/matching in my personal preferences, FWIW)

• carolinetesori
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, littlesmokie, I meant CUPBOARD latches! I called them the wrong name. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I LOVE the round/oval knobs and you're absolutely right, they look much more understated and streamlined. They are beautiful and I need to have them somewhere!
    Glad you busted your budget for the right cabinets, wish I did! I went over on upgrading the appliances (went with professional instead of mid-range), got the marble I wanted, moved two walls to open up the kitchen and provide much better flow, but then cheaped out on the cabinets figuring I had to save SOMEWHERE, but I really shouldn't have. would've/could've/should've...need to embrace what I have and learn to love it! I think beautiful CUPBOARD latches would help! Even if it's a scattered mess. Any thoughts? Why can't things just be E-A-S-Y??!

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

Hi Nantucket, good to have the clarification of the look you were going for. I do believe cupboard latches play nicely when mixed in with regular knob type hardware. The ice box latches, not as much in my opinion ;)

I guess the issue is just how to use them on frameless cabs...what about fori's ideas? Someone (maybe artemis78?, sorry I can't give proper credit because I'm not sure) posted a cupboard latch from Van Dykes that can be adjusted to be permanently open. Looking at it, it looks like a regular latch, but there is a mechanism that allows you to just grasp it and pull like a knob with no turning and thus no need for the little piece that would normally be on the face frame of the cabinet for the latch part to go into (Did that make sense?) Since the hardware is then just decorative, maybe you could experiment with some of fori's ideas above?

Here is a link that might be useful: Convertible cupboard latch

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

Here is a link to the gallery of one of the kitchens I mentioned earlier, in case it is of interest. You'll notice she's used latches on the lowers and regular knobs on the uppers...demonstrating that mixing it up can work nicely together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meredithanneo's kitchen

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

Here is one of my-and many people's!-all time favorite kitchens: katieob.

It looks like she's used cupboard latches on the uppers and some icebox latches on the lowers. (I'm not sure if links are broken or if some photos have been removed, but I'm actually only seeing one photo at this link and I'm not sure whether you can see her hardware very well...)

Of course both of these kitchens have inset NOT frameless cabinets, which was your original question, but I thought they might be helpful for others reading and nice eye candy if you hadn't see them :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Katieob's kitchen

• carolinetesori_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Thanks for the posts and pics littlesmokie! Such beautiful kitchens. Fori, I have been thinking about what u wrote quite a bit too and I am going to try it! I'm hoping it will work, if so, ill post pics! Ok, I'm getting a little vigor back, thanks very much!!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

well, if you're interested in keeping on a budget, maybe it's a good thing you won't have too many latches. the cheapest i found them was at Regal, for $25 each. my cabs are beaded inset, frameless.
    i used the latches on uppers and sink cabinet doors, three different sized pulls: 6", 3" and 12", crystal knobs and drop pulls. and almost forgot: i also threw in some cup pulls on a few drawers just to keep 'em wondering. five different types of hardware! sorry, no pics of the crystal knobs in these pics. i don't think it's jumbled at all. there was actually a method to my madness, so it doesn't look completely nonsensical. i love the look. go for it!

{{gwi:1585001}}

{{gwi:1446454}}

Here is a link that might be useful: cliffside ice box latches

• slush1422
    13 years ago

WOW so glad I came across this post. I'm running into the same issue. I LOVE the cupboard latches but will have a few single doors, and since we are doing IKEA cabinets they are all frameless. I am trying to find a way to be able to still go with the latches instead of knobs, or how they will look with mixed hardware.

Please post a pic Nantucket23 on what you decide to do! Still trying to work on DH being on board with the latches.