Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seydoux

sink size

seydoux
10 years ago

I have two options for a kitchen sink. I am going to have a quartzite counter top and I can buy either a 32x19 or 30 X18 sink. I am concerned that the 19 might be too deep
and cause weakness in the countertop. Any input. the counter guy says he can cut it, but I am concerned for long term durability.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Messymarsy2:

If your fabricator installs the sink with a Hercules Universal Sink Harness, he's just turned it into a 10" deep steel truss. If I stood in your sink and you on the top next to me and we began jumping up and down, your side would probably break first.

Get the sink you want and don't worry.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    10 years ago

My thoughts... A wider sink (right to left) will be more useful. Another consideration... a 19" deep sink will cause you to bend further to reach the faucet. It will push the faucet back one inch. Where the water drops in a sink determines where you will work. That inch could be the difference between a back ache and comfort.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree with Drrachiele's post. Been there with the aching back! Mine was made worse cause the counter strip in front of the sink was wider than necessary causing me to lean over more to reach the faucet. Also my faucet was a high arch style so it was just a few inches from the back wall of the sink. For my new kitchen I am getting an apron front sink so no more leaning; I haven't decided yet whether it will be stainless steel or the Kohler. And my faucet will reach toward the center of the sink rather than the high arch style.

Why are you only limited to two sinks? There's so much variety out there as to dimensions, material (stainless, enameled cast iron, Silgranit), one bowl or two, etc. If your counter fabricator only offers two tell him you'd rather buy your own separately. You need to get one that really suits you cause you won't be able to change it later.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Also agree with drachiele. I should have paid more attention to the arc of my faucet as I wish it was a hair further into the bowl. It doesn't cause me any back pain but I've been thankful it wasn't any further back than it is. I use the pull out feature most of the time so that works out fine in the end.

• juno_barks
    10 years ago

I too will be putting in quartzite countertops and am thinking about sinks. After talking to counter fabricators, I am going with an apron front. It eliminates the vulnerable strip of counter in front of the sink and if you need a seam, you can more easily hide it behind the sink cutout.

The ergonomic attributes of an apron front, and not too deep sink are pretty significant.

What I have not decided between is stainless steel sink or white. I will have grey cabinets (Ikea abstrakt), and worry that the SS will be too similar.

• User
    10 years ago

Juno_barks - Totally agree with you and am in the same boat deciding which apron front sink. I am starting to lean away from the stainless steel apron front cause I have a SS sink now (not apron front) and I yearn for my fresh new kitchen not to have to deal with water spots any longer. I am not wanting fireclay either cause they are a bear to install and can get crazing around the drain. I am thinking about the Kohler - I think it is the "Whitehaven" but I am not sure and have to do more research{{gwi:807}}.

To the OP, it seems we are going a little OT, but not really cause you should be aware of all the sink options out there.

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 15:24

• deedles
    10 years ago

drachiele makes killer copper sinks and I'm a happy owner of one...made in America, too if that is important to you. Lots of sizes and I think custom, too.

I don't work there but I know he can't say it on this board so I did, ha!

Here is a link that might be useful: copper sinks