Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nats_md

Finished! The reveal

nats-md
15 years ago

The GW was a real help in our kitchen reno (part of larger addition). It started last March, the kitchen was functional by Thanksgiving, and now, finally, after re-painting the walls last weekend, is ready for the public. Thanks to so many inspiring kitchens -- especially mamadadapaige, yesdear, tons of others.

I'll throw in a few before pictures to give you a flavor of what we started with:

">

before and

">

after

Here are some others:

">

">

breakfast area

and detail of backsplash behind stove:

">

Thanks again for all of the inspiration and information on this forum!

A few details:

Cabinets - Crown Point frameless

Counter - soapstone (Green Mtn Original from Philly Soapstone)

Backsplash - Mexican talavera from tierra y fuego in San Diego

Wall color (current, after repainting!) - BM Revere Pewter

Nats - MD

Comments (82)

• atlbeardie
    15 years ago

What a beautiful renovation. I love your bold backsplash and thinks it gives real personality to your kitchen. I covet your breakfast nook -- Congratulations!

• rdsso
    15 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. I love the tile backsplash and the breakfast nook. - Enjoy!!!

• krissd
    15 years ago

Gorgeous remodel. The tile is to die for. We have a banquette too, no cushions yet. Post if you make some or buy some or something so I can copy!

Beautiful. What are the dimensions of your table? (I didn't read all the comments, so I apologize if it's up there.) Thanks for sharing!

• busybme
    15 years ago

Nice, nice, nice! LOVE your floors! Do you mind sharing your source?

We are 8 weeks into a 3 phase/1 year whole house remodel so I would love to hear more about the rest of your projects. It looks like our kitchen will be one of the last things to be completed.

Great job! You should be very proud!

Sandy

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Beautiful, unexpected, and warm. You did a fantastic job!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Just gorgeous! You did a terrific job in transforming your space and the backsplash really warms the kitchen and gives it some pizzaz! How are you enjoying your soapstone? Which cabinet hardware did you use?

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Astonishing how the same basic materials and finishes can turn out so stunningly beautiful in kitchens that look so different. Love the tile and little curve under the wall cabinets. Enjoy your very warm, cozy kitchen.

• missstaceyh
    15 years ago

That is one of the nicest backsplashes I've ever seen. You have inspired me to look at more bold, colorful backsplashes for my new kitchen. Beautiful kitchen!

• nats-md
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much. Adding a spanish colonial backsplash to a traditionally colored off white & soapstone kitchen did seem risky, but we decided to do it b/c we loved it, so it is nice to hear the positive feedback.

Krissd - our table is 72x36 or 38. It easily sits 7 (3 on bench, 2 in chairs across from them, and one on each end), and could hold more.

Busyb, we basically ripped the back off our house and rebuilt on the same footprint, adding a mudroom on the back (still not finished inside though, so no pics yet), rebuilding the family room that's next to the kitchen, moving the powder room (which previously was a few steps down toward the basement) into what was previously a weird pantry area, and adding a master suite (w/bath & walk in closet) above. We love the new space!

Sorry, I don't have any other info on the floor, other than it was local quartersawn oak. We tried a few stains, and ended up w/a pro stain (I forget the name but will dig it up tonight). Then it got 4 coats of poly.

Plucky, I love the soapstone. It took a while to darken up, but now stays pretty dark. It gets washed out by the sink especially, and after we oil it (w/a beeswax & mineral oil mix I learned about here = thanks), it doesn't stay pristine for long, but I like it sort of mottled and not too shiny anyway. It has been banged on by my 2 year old daughter w/o damage. I love the veining.

The cabinet hardware was from Crown Point. I don't know the original source, but am really happy w/it -- it made a huge difference putting on the cabs (they looked much plainer to me w/o). It is shiny, but has some pits to give it a handmade, antique silver look.

• User
    15 years ago

NOW THAT'S A BACKSPLASH! Love the color, love the style, love the kitchen!!!

• User
    15 years ago

Beautiful. It does wonderful justice to the era of your home. I really like the splash of color in the backsplash. And the booth eating area is a great classic touch. c

• timber.j
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is just beautiful! I love how your backsplash adds a bit of cheerful color!

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

wow it's gorgeous!!!!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Like some of the other PP (previous posters), I thought your before pics looked pretty good! I would think that would actually make it harder than starting with something much worse...

I too like the punch of personality in your BS!... I really like the bookshelf galleyway entrance!... I think the wood floors add a nice touch of warmth,... yup I could adopt this kitchen in a heartbeat! Well done!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

How much of that beeswax/oil do you use at a time? I think I might be putting too much on.

• nkkp
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen. It is simple yet elegant. Great Job!

• nats-md
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a pic for yesdear -- one of my inspiration kitchens (and a truly fantastic one). a view of our dining room chandelier from the kitchen, which reminds me of a downscale 1928 version of his:

As for the beeswax/oil, i put more on the first time, now I put less one.. it is shiny the first day or so, but then calms down.

Thanks all

• huango
    15 years ago

I also thought your 1st picture was the reveal, but then I was bowled over w/ the AFTER picture.

Can you please me what are your cabinet handles? Where did you get them? Simple but yet so much style!

Thanks!

• nats-md
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks huango! I love the handles too -- they were from Crown Point (the cabinet manufacturer). They have several styles online and we picked out 2 or 3 and they sent us samples when we ordered the cabinets. I don't know who the actual mfr is, but they're very heavy and solid.

• starpooh
    15 years ago

nats-md ~

Although I love blue kitchens I am so happy that it's your "before" photo and am in awe of your "after" photos. What a gorgeous kitchen!
    May I archive your photos and details in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist; it will help me categorize your kitchen details.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Beautiful job. Your backsplash tiles are amazing.

• yesdear
    15 years ago

"Downscale"?? No way! Understated and elegant, methinks. And gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Beautiful work, timeless, well executed, with a great sensitivity to the period.

Thanks for posting the shot of the lovely DR chandelier. Love that Spanish Colonial Revival!!

Happy cooking.

yd

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

nats_md, did you find out the stain on the quartersawn oak floors? Are they white or red oak quartersawn floors? They are beautiful.

• mamadadapaige
    14 years ago

nats-md, it is GORGEOUS!! enjoy it to the hilt. you've don't a lovely job. I especially love the spanish tile! congratulations.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I also love the Island and the creamy color of the kitchen cabinets with the beautiful hardware handles on them. I love the gorgeous stainless steel appliances. I love the high hats in the ceiling and the fixtures. I just really feel your itchen is gorgeous but I especially love your floors and that stain you used on them with how it is showing up on my monitor.

• nats-md
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the compliments! We're really enjoying the kitchen. Yesterday we ordered cushions for the banquette, I'll post pix once I get them.

Lynn, I'm sorry I haven't responded finally about the floors, but was hoping to find the can of wood stain that was used on our floors to confirm the brand, and I haven't been able to. The wood is white oak, quartersawn, and the stain was cherry, and I think the brand was "Bests" (although I googled it and came up with nothing). We sampled Minwax cherry first and it was not as deep or rich of a color.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

This may seem like an odd question but can you give me an idea about the size of the cabinets surrounding the range. I am planning on a 30'' range and I have having trouble deciding if have picked the right sizes. I just can't judge the proportions in the planner. Yours are perfect! I am going back to stare at the pictures some more.

• prill
    14 years ago

WOW - I've been trying to decide on a backsplash to go with my soapstone (it has alot of veins) - but you just showed me that you be very dramatic! It looks beautiful. Priscilla

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

I absolutely love love love your kitchen. Really like the little light rail on those cabinets. Sorry to to hijack, but I think I see your range is by American Range - is that correct? I am considering that range and would love to know how you like it. Any problems? Pros, cons? Thank you so much.

Tina

• nats-md
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks -- we were worried about going too bold on the backsplash since the trend these days seems to be neutrals, but we went with our hearts on the talavera tile and are really happy with it. We figure if we ever sell the next people will either have to love it or rip it out!

Odie, our cabinets on either side of the range are 24 inches. Our kitchen designer at crown point came up with the dimensions, and kept the cabinets symmetrical. We're very happy with the design.

Buffalotina, our range is an American Range. We got it online from Josh at Dvorsons, across the country in Cali. It seems great, the burners are really powerful and the oven holds four cookie sheets at once (at least -- probably six if you use 3 racks). The convection and the normal oven seem accurate. We've had no problems at all. I can hear the gas cut on and off (just a little clicking noise) when it is on, but that doesn't bother me at all, just something interesting. No complaints at all (except that the gas burners on bluestars looked pretty cool, but that was several hundred more dollars, and as I said these are really powerful).

• prill
    14 years ago

Can you tell me what your light fixture over the sink is? Thanks Priscilla

• nats-md
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The light is from sea gull lighting, laurel leaf mini- pendant in antique brushed nickel. (matches the light over the island, which is in the same family). I got them online. We were also going to get the same for over the table, but it was unavailable & we went with a Hudson Valley light over there.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is really inspiring me and it might be the one that tips me towards Crown Point. I like the streamlined look of the framless. Do you mind telling me what color paint finish you got? They seem to have two off whites.

Thanks so much.

Tina

• mbarstow
    14 years ago

Wow! Love your kitchen and can't say anything new here that hasn't already been said. Your backsplash is fantastic--something I would want to do, but wouldn't have the courage--it give such sparkle to the entire room.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

OP: I just saw your backsplash on the Crown Point website and looking more closely at your cabinets I am wondering what door style you got. Did you get the real plain shaker door or the one with the more rounded profile of the panel?

Thank you!

Tina

• meg_ma
    14 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen!

Did Crown Point make the bench seats in your dining alcove? I'm getting a quote from CP for our cabinets and will also need some window seats. Just wondering if they made yours!

Thanks - Meg

• nats-md
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all! BuffaloT, the color is CP's "antique white". I think they had four whites (I remember steeple, which was very white). I was worried that it would be too yellow, but am happy with the color -- it really is a cream rather than a pure white. The door style is newport -- I think that is one of the plainest they had. It does have a curve on the inside edge.

Meg, CP did not make our benches. Our GC (this was part of a larger addition where we moved walls and added a bedroom upstairs) did that. I'm sure CP would have done a better job (not all of the space underneath is usable, and I'm not sure how they will hold up), but I'm guessing they would have been much much more expensive, and we had to limit the budget, so we decided to go there. We painted with BM lancaster whitewash, which is a close match to the CP antique white.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Thanks for the information. Your kitchen is my inspiration and I hope I can do the same cabs you have. It sounds like you have been very happy with the quality and the whole process. I like the look of the antique white also.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Nats-MD, Thanks for letting me know that your beautiful floors are quartersawn white oak, with a Cherry Stain maybe by the Bests brand. I guess I just love cherry colors since I love your floors. Thanks for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

P.S. Nats-MD, do you have any close-ups of your floor?

• bpotts44
    14 years ago

Hi! Great kitchen. Can you tell me the size of your MW cabinet and what model GE you have? Thanks.

• la_koala
    14 years ago

Hi, along with bpotts44, I'm also curious about the size of your MW cabinet and the model.

Would you also share about the measurements (depths, heights, widths) of the cabinets in the fridge/MW wall?

I'm asking because in my initial layout, I have a wall laid out like that (fridge, MW, cabinets), and I'm having trouble getting the depths for the cabinets to line up right with the fridge and MW depths. Are those wall cabinets the standard depths, and are the base cabinets the standard depths? The picture makes it look either like the wall cabs are deeper, or the base cabinets are shallower, so I am wondering.

How high are your ceilings?

Your kitchen turned out just great. I love how you did the stacked cabinets.

• nats-md
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all. Our fridge/microwave wall is definitely not standard size. One of the things we liked most about Crown Point is we gave them the appliance model nos and they made sure the cabs would fit them perfectly (and they did. Our microwave is a GE PEB1590SMSS. The cabs are roughly 24 inches wide -- I think they came out to 23 1/2 inches for the microwave side, and 22 1/2 for the non- micorwave side. The bases are standard depth (24 inches), but the tops are much deeper than normal. I think they're about 20 inches deep, which makes for sort of a cavern on the counter, but is it good for small appliances (toaster, mixer, panini maker sit there, and bananas), that are out of immediate view. Our ceilings are over 8 feet but well under 9 feet -- 105 inches I think. (old houses, no standards sizes ...) I was nervous the mw would be too big for the opening, but it was perfect.

• meg_ma
    14 years ago

Hi,

What brand/model of fridge do you have? Are you happy with it? We're planning on a side x side and I am having a hard time making a decision. Thanks!

• nats-md
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi meg,
    we have a kitchenaid, and have been pleased thus far. It is model no. KSCS25FVMS It would be nice to have more freezer space for 5 of us, but I think that is impossible in the space! we've got a spare freezer in the basement.

• lovetoshop
    14 years ago

Can you please tell me the name of the pulls on your drawers or where you bought them? Thanks!

• sailormann
    14 years ago

You've created a beautiful space - congratulations! It has a very warm and comfortable feeling.

I am wondering if you could let me know the dimensions of your banquette seating - how far it projects from the wall - and how high the seating platform is off the floor ? It looks like it has good proportions and we're hoping to put something similar in our house.

• starfish24
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, elegant, warm and exciting kitchen! Would sure put a happy smile on my face even after hours of toiling away in there. Congratulations!

We have a banquette similar to yours, and I'm trying to figure out how to do the cushions. Are you getting just seat cushions or a back cushion also? If a back also, will it attach to seat back? Who are you having make the cushions? Is the seat cushion in two pieces and, if so, do they connect? Thanks for any help!

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

truly spectacular and original. That backsplash is da bomb!

Can I ask if you can post a close up pictures of the curved light rail under your upper cabinets, from the top with the doors open and from the bottom, looking at the inside corner? I would like to know how they made that flush with the door, is there a rail inside for support?
    thanks!

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

also- are you in Maryland, and can you recommend your gc?
    thanks!
    Nancy