Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobragirl96_gw

Kitchen layout - please take a look :)

cobragirl96
13 years ago

We are FINALLY going to be breaking ground next week and the kitchen addition will be going up. I want to sit down with a kitchen designer and get my plan nailed down before my contractor puts the doors/walls in, so much harder to plan a kitchen in a blank space although it leaves lots of flexibility!! I have included a copy of the "new" bottom floor, in our plan the kitchen is open to the family room (separated by a header, but technically the rooms are completely open), and the dining room is open to the side, which is why we chose not to put a kitchen table in the kitchen, however we would love a large island with LOTS of seating. We are a family of 5, extended family always over (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) Kids are 5.5, 3.5 and 2. First floor plan is one where we only have one slider in and out of the kitchen to the backyard, and the island seats 5. Second kitchen floor plan I put two exit doors in the back and island has seating for 6. Both plans I find the fridge in awkward places, but I didn't want it "buried" in the kitchen because my kids go there all the time to get fruit, juice, yogurt, etc. Please give me any and all feedback, I can take it, I just want to have an idea of what I want my layout to look like before I sit with a kitchen designer (DH has a limited attention span, and he wants to come with me). I won't even tell you which one I like better and if both of them stink, I'll start again, I just want this to be perfect (I know, I know, how about as close as possible?) I incredibly appreciate all help, and I hope I am putting these pictures in correctly!! I promise to put my finished kitchen in the FKB!

Bottom Floor layout:

[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb409/cobragirl96/bottomfloorlayout_Page_1.jpg[/IMG]

Floor plan 1 (1 door and seating for 5):

[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb409/cobragirl96/bottomfloorlayout_Page_2.jpg[/IMG]

Floor plan 2(2 doors and seating for 6):

[IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb409/cobragirl96/bottomfloorlayout_Page_3.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (6)

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I couldn't see your pictures so I'm trying this:

{{gwi:2106206}}
    {{gwi:2106207}}

• Buehl
    13 years ago

CobraGirl96...use this format for posting a pic:
    {{gwi:1467847}}

Note the angle brackets, not the square brackets, as well as the "img src=" and double quotes.

This and more is described in the "Read Me" thread, btw.

Oh, and you're probably not receiving emails of follow-up postings, even though you checked the box requesting them. This is b/c you don't have the email option turned on in your profile. See the "Read Me" thread for more information. Scroll down to the post with the subject "Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process".

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I had an idea about making the bottom wall pantry (on left) then fridge. Then your bar sink and a beverage fridge could move to the end of the peninsula.

But I bet the layout gurus can come up with something excellent.

My main suggestion, small as it is, is to make the cabinet at the corner of your peninsula and upper wall face toward the FR. Then you won't have a blind corner and you can have a cabinet for things like remotes, DVDs, or whatever.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I'd like to suggest you check the "Layout Help" topic in the "Read Me" thread. It has a list of questions for you that answering here will help us help you get the best possible layout based on your needs, wants, and constraints.

A few things to keep in mind:

• Aisles widths...are determined by measuring counter edge-to-counter edge, not cabinet-to-cabinet (unless there's no counter, of course!)

For appliances, measure from the part that sticks out the furthest (usually the handle...this info is contained in appliance specs).

Seating overhang...for counter-height seating should be a minimum of 15" (I think you already have that, and more, but I thought I'd mention it just in case you don't...and for anyone just lurking and reading this thread to learn more!)

BTW...if you put decorative doors on the back of the island, they will take away approx 1" from the overhang.
    Walkways....In a seating area, 36" of clearance from counter/table edge to wall/obstruction if no traffic passes behind seated diners. 65" of total clearance when this includes a walkway (i.e., traffic). [From NKBA Kitchen Planning Guidelines With Access Standards]
    There are three primary work zones...Prep Zone (70% of kitchen work/time), Cooking Zone (10% of kitchen work/time), and Cleanup Zone (20% of kitchen work/time)

Of these, the Prep & Cooking Zones work best when either next to each other or across from each other, but across no more than a 48" aisle.

The Cleanup Zone usually works best if it's separated from the Prep & Cooking Zones. Sometimes that means different parts of the kitchen (usually with a prep sink in the Pep Zone), other times it means the only sink in the kitchen separates them...Prep & Cooking Zones on one side of the sink, Cleanup Zone with DW on the other side of the sink.
    Trash & recycle pullout...works best in the Prep Zone, near the Cooking Zone, and, if only one and possible, near the Cleanup Zone. Far more trash & recyclables are generated while prepping and cooking than while cleaning up. So, if you have to choose, put the trash & recycle in the Prep Zone instead of the Cleanup Zone. (That's the biggest mistake I made, I put it in the Cleanup Zone across a 6' aisle from the Prep Zone...it's my biggest regret by far in my kitchen.]
    Prep sinks...should be no smaller than 12" x 12"...and bigger is better - I recommend no less than 15" in each direction, 18" would be better, IMHO. Anything smaller is not very useful for prepping. Those smaller sinks are often called "bar sinks" b/c they're really only big enough for filling a glass with water or dumping a glass. They're not big enough to clean veggies/fruit or empty a colander.
    Zone protection...strive to protect the Cooking Zone from traffic - both through-traffic as well as in-kitchen traffic. While cooking, you are dealing with very hot pots/pans/food and you don't want to be tripping over or dodging traffic, open DW doors, etc. This...

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Could the window go on the north/top wall instead of the west/left wall?

Could you have multiple windows? (I notice you have two outside doors in the second design.)

Could you have a large door on the left and a window on the top?

What are the views out those sides?

• cobragirl96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buehl,
    Thanks so much for the help, I read those guidelines and kept erasing and moving. . .I think I have some good ideas. Will redraw and repost with "correct" brackets! We decided to go with the second layout of two doors, we are both math teachers and liked the symmetry of that kitchen better :) My husband finally conceded to having the main sink in the island, which I think has solved some problems since now prepping on the island has a water source. The only thing I'm not sure about is putting the sink closer to the range side or further from the range side. Buehl, to answer your questions, this is wide open so I could put windows anywhere, but the side with the cooktop (north) faces the driveway and the the west (left) side faces the backyard, so I would prefer to put the windows there. Doors on the west side would access the new deck. Would you put the cooktop in between the two doors, on the left wall and then put a window on either side, or leave the cooktop in the more remote side on the right wall since that's not a direct line of traffic? I appreciate ALL the help, we are planning on sitting down with a kitchen designer this week and getting some cool 3-D drawings.