Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do about backsplash issue?

Posted by msrose (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 11:29

I have two windows in my backsplash and here's what it looked like originally. You can see it's a little above the countertop.

photo backsplashwindow_zpsea6f2612.jpg

I just had granite installed and since the granite is thicker than the laminate, the window on the right is now a little below the countertop.

photo backsplash2_zps92483735.jpg

This wouldn't be a problem except the window on the left is a tiny bit above the countertop.

photo backsplash3_zps798062b5.jpg

photo backsplash1_zpsf94ff2d6.jpg

What the heck am I supposed to do with this? I put a level on the countertop to see if it's off and it's not. I'm guessing my windows are off, but I didn't notice it when they weren't so close to the countertop. I really don't want to cover the windows, because that's the only natural light I have in there, but is that my only choice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do about backsplash issue?

What is the height difference? I'm thnking you shim the inside of the low window to the height of the other one and then do granite tile for the interior so that it blends almost seamlesly with minimal height lippage.

This post was edited by live_wire_oak on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 12:13

o

live_wire - What do you mean my shim? Would I cut a piece of wood the size of the the opening on the right side? I hadn't even thought about that! The only problem I woud have then is the the window on the left has such a small piece above the countertop that I don't think I could tile it like it was before. Any ideas what to cover that tiny section with?

o

What you use to make up the height difference depends on what the height difference is. Using the same granite color as the counter as a tile to cover it would make the problem virtually disappear.

This post was edited by live_wire_oak on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 12:11

o

duplicate post

This post was edited by live_wire_oak on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 12:10

o

Use the same material as your counter to cover the windowsill areas, but make the one over the lower window is thick enough (underneath) - or shimmed up -to come out even with the height of the higher windowsill when covered with "matching" thickness of the counter top material.

You could get tricky and have these pieces cut with a little lip to extend down to the counter surface, or fudge it with some other material or paint to blend in the gap between the counter and the edge of windowsill trim piece (s).

HTH

L>

o

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand what you're both talking about now. That liitle lip had me stumped also. Hopefully my granite guy still has some of my granite if I decide to go this route. From the lowest point on the right to the highest point on the left is about 3/4".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here