Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erika33_gw

Help!!!Range is higher than countertop

erika33
13 years ago

I have a BIG problem. My floor was recently installed and now my range is taller than my counter. I installed the rectified porcelain and since my floor was not leveled it had to be raised quite a bit.

The height from the floor to the countertop is 35". All the ranges that I can find are 36".

Adding plywood on the bottom of the cabinets is not a possibility as all the top countertops are already in and if I raised the granite that would mean that the distance between the countertop and the bottom of my cabinets would shorten plus all of the electrical would be affected too...Ughhhhh please any other suggestions????

Comments (22)

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Are you sure it will be a problem? In general you do want the range to be slightly taller than the counter, so that crumbs and detritus don't get brushed off onto the stove. Mine's almost an inch higher than the counters and it's been great that way.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

My range has these little riser that can turn to lower or
    raise it up to an inch. Check and see if yours has this too.
    My range also has these massive grates that make it seem
    like it is 3 inches taller than the counter next to it.
    A range about 1 inch higher than the counters will look normal.

See these ranges below...But if after ....you still want it
    exactly the same level. (Let assume no risers)
    then maybe the tile installers can take out the
    tile under the stove. Find out that way you can have
    exactly what you want. I remember being upset about these
    kinds of details too. Hang in there, we will find a
    solution. I am sure there are others on GW who had this
    problem.
    ~boxerpups

• dianalo
    13 years ago

On the same topic, but reversed:
    Mine is currently lower by several inches. I have them coming back to fix it, but it will affect the vent hood height. They had trouble installing the vent hood high enough, so they lowered the legs of the stove. Then they figured out how to raise the hood, but forgot to also raise the stove. I approved the vent hood height at 31", without realizing that the stove was approx 2-3 inches below counter height because the counters had not been installed.
    Other than crumbs, is there any other reason low would not work? I am 5'5" and think it might be convenient to have it lower than average. Luckily, I asked for the extra inch height for the hood, so if it comes up 2 inches, I should be ok with the distance to our hood. Any thoughts?
    Sorry if this is a hijack, but it is a similar area of concern.

• erika33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you boxerpups (love the pics) and circuspeanut!!! I guess with all of this remodeling going on, I can't even remember how my range was before....lol

I think that I will leave it the way it is since I really don't want to have the tile removed.

Now my next issue is whether to get a freestanding or a slide-in...my goodness decisions, decisions, decisions...lol

• erika33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BTW Boxerpups is the first picture your range??? If so what brand is your range? It's soooo pretty.

• idrive65
    13 years ago

Dianalo, a range lower than the surrounding counters might be a fire hazard. I made my counters 37" and had to raise the range to meet them.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Erika22,
    I am glad the pictures helped. That pretty range above is
    not mine. I have a Bosch. I love my bosch but...check out
    the below gardenweb links before you make your choice.

I believe (but could be way off) that a Slide in is
    designed to adjust to fit in but a free standing range
    may be harder to fit in. That is what I have learned but
    there is so much information out there I am sure others
    have found free standing to work.
    ~boxerpups

What's the difference between Free Standing and Slide In
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1222284114947.html

Free standing vs slide-in ranges
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0822494910440.html

Freestanding, 'pro-style' induction range?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0510185213496.html

48' Range...Viking or Wolf?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg111319513137.html

What are easiest to clean range tops?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1119491013950.html

Traditional 4 oven AGA cooker
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1021585927195.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Anyone have a Bosch Range

• missstella
    13 years ago

That first range is a Bertazzoni--I think they are just beautiful--I've said before you don't have to cook to love that look. They are the pretty. Roccogurl has one and has posted about it on the appliance forum if you need more information.

• Tom Miller
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Your range will have leveling feet on them , even all the way in and no more adjustment and still your range is an inch or so higher, simply pull the range out ( you'll need another person for this ) I took my levelers out and put those sticky felt pads where the feet were. I used 1/8 inch felt pads about an inch in diameter. Worked great since the old levelers are mostly made of metal or hard plastic, sometimes these scratch the floor when you ever have to pull the range out dragging the feet on a hardwood floor, laminate floor or a tile floor when you clean behind the range as I do once a year. The felt pads also makes pulling and pushing the range much easier and will not scratch the flooring. Once felt pads are installed and the range isnt level , just double up on the felt pads to level the range out.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

@Tom Miller - you resurrected a 10-year-old thread

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Yeah, so he did. The problem persists; why shouldn't the solution?

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC - first, setting aside the 10-year age of the OP, and that the OP's questions were answered 10 years ago, the necropost by Tom Miller isn't good advice. People are unlikely to pull out their range, lift it up, to put felt feet on the levelers for the purpose of repeatedly pulling out their range. It is not good practice to be pulling out and pushing in a range repeatedly, connections could loosen or bend, it's unsafe. There are inexpensive brushes made to sweep under ranges and washing machines (Oxo makes a good one); there is no need to be pulling the range all the way out every time you want to clean it.

A ”necro poster” is a derisive term because typically people who necro post never read the whole thread (or even some of it). The information carried by zombie posts does not have the value that users talking to each other today would, because a fresh thread would have more current information.

But more importantly, the necro poster bumps down current threads started by someone right now who has been eagerly awaiting responses, maybe even urgently awaiting responses. When those current threads are bumped down, they don’t get the same level of attention. Consequently, the avoidance of necro posting is one of the longest running forum etiquette rules.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

"I wonder if it would have if Tom didn't revive it? Just because a post is old, doesn't mean its solution is any less valid."

@Steve Sperry - it absolutely would have popped up in a Google search. In fact, that is frequently the reason why necroposts happen - someone does a Google search, the thread pops up, and the necroposter - as is characteristic of them as I mentioned - does not read the thread at all and posts a comment on it. In addition, your Google search would have turned up more recent posts on the same topic, which may even mention your current range and its setup, so would be of more value to you.

In addition, as I mentioned, Tom Miller's comment is not very "valid" as you put it. It is not recommended that a range be pulled in and out frequently as he advises. It can loosen connections or bend them which is dangerous.

Also @Steve Sperry, please put the shoe on the other foot - if you have just posted an urgent question on this forum. But your post has moved down the page, or even onto page two because some threads which have already been answered 10 years previously have bumped yours down. You check back your post a few hours later and there are few or no responses. How is that a good solution?

I am done with this thread, as necroposting and zombie threads have been discussed on the internet for decades, which is why there are so many memes about it. This dialogue is contributing to the very issue that is the problem, so please let this 10-year-old thread die.

• rich69b
    2 years ago

I, for one, am thankful for Tom's post. We are re-doing our kitchen and the gas ranges that I like are 37 inches tall, one was 38. 5 inches. That's how I got here, looking for a solution online and this popped up. Now I have an option -felt pads.

• Antonella Pirone
    2 years ago

I am currently having the same problem. My cabinets and countertop are 35'' High and ll neew ranges on the market are 36'' and the feet already at lowest level. . I have hard time to think what can be done. I can reeemovee the wood floor under?

any other suggestion? I was not considering to change cabinets rather the countertop!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"Can I remove the wood floor under?"

This would be unusual, but a possibility.

• Antonella Pirone
    2 years ago

yes but it will not sufficient

• HU-620497336
    last year
    last modified: last year

i have the range in the second picture. just today pulled it out to clean the sides. looking for a gap filler that will work. any suggestions

• Jill
    2 months ago

I’m having this very same issue in 2024. my countertop is shorter than all the ranges made today. I was given a Bosch from a job site, but its too high and looks awkward. Not great for resale value. still looking for a solution.

• Antonella Pirone
    2 months ago

i ended to move up my cabinet . another option is to do thicker countertop, but i did not like it.

• Jill
    2 months ago

That’s an option. Thank you.