Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!!!Range is higher than countertop

Posted by erika33 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 11:27

I have a BIG problem. My floor was recently installed and now my range is taller than my counter. I installed the rectified porcelain and since my floor was not leveled it had to be raised quite a bit.

The height from the floor to the countertop is 35". All the ranges that I can find are 36".

Adding plywood on the bottom of the cabinets is not a possibility as all the top countertops are already in and if I raised the granite that would mean that the distance between the countertop and the bottom of my cabinets would shorten plus all of the electrical would be affected too...Ughhhhh please any other suggestions????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!!!Range is higher than countertop

Are you sure it will be a problem? In general you do want the range to be slightly taller than the counter, so that crumbs and detritus don't get brushed off onto the stove. Mine's almost an inch higher than the counters and it's been great that way.

o

My range has these little riser that can turn to lower or
raise it up to an inch. Check and see if yours has this too.
My range also has these massive grates that make it seem
like it is 3 inches taller than the counter next to it.
A range about 1 inch higher than the counters will look normal.

See these ranges below...But if after ....you still want it
exactly the same level. (Let assume no risers)
then maybe the tile installers can take out the
tile under the stove. Find out that way you can have
exactly what you want. I remember being upset about these
kinds of details too. Hang in there, we will find a
solution. I am sure there are others on GW who had this
problem.
~boxerpups

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

On the same topic, but reversed:
Mine is currently lower by several inches. I have them coming back to fix it, but it will affect the vent hood height. They had trouble installing the vent hood high enough, so they lowered the legs of the stove. Then they figured out how to raise the hood, but forgot to also raise the stove. I approved the vent hood height at 31", without realizing that the stove was approx 2-3 inches below counter height because the counters had not been installed.
Other than crumbs, is there any other reason low would not work? I am 5'5" and think it might be convenient to have it lower than average. Luckily, I asked for the extra inch height for the hood, so if it comes up 2 inches, I should be ok with the distance to our hood. Any thoughts?
Sorry if this is a hijack, but it is a similar area of concern.

o

Thank you boxerpups (love the pics) and circuspeanut!!! I guess with all of this remodeling going on, I can't even remember how my range was before....lol

I think that I will leave it the way it is since I really don't want to have the tile removed.

Now my next issue is whether to get a freestanding or a slide-in...my goodness decisions, decisions, decisions...lol

o
Boxerpups

BTW Boxerpups is the first picture your range??? If so what brand is your range? It's soooo pretty.

o

Dianalo, a range lower than the surrounding counters might be a fire hazard. I made my counters 37" and had to raise the range to meet them.

o

Hi Erika22,
I am glad the pictures helped. That pretty range above is
not mine. I have a Bosch. I love my bosch but...check out
the below gardenweb links before you make your choice.

I believe (but could be way off) that a Slide in is
designed to adjust to fit in but a free standing range
may be harder to fit in. That is what I have learned but
there is so much information out there I am sure others
have found free standing to work.
~boxerpups

What's the difference between Free Standing and Slide In
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1222284114947.html

Free standing vs slide-in ranges
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0822494910440.html

Freestanding, 'pro-style' induction range?
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0510185213496.html

48' Range...Viking or Wolf?
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg111319513137.html

What are easiest to clean range tops?
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1119491013950.html

Traditional 4 oven AGA cooker
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg1021585927195.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Anyone have a Bosch Range

o
It's a Bertazzoni

That first range is a Bertazzoni--I think they are just beautiful--I've said before you don't have to cook to love that look. They are the pretty. Roccogurl has one and has posted about it on the appliance forum if you need more information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here