Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sharp Drawer MW=steam damage to cabinet?

Posted by socalsister (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 11:24

I am considering a drawer microwave, but I've read online that the newest Sharp drawer microwaves were redesigned to have hidden vent louvers (behind the face of the door). The door blocks any steam so it is directed toward the adjacent cabinet doors which, over time, damages the cabinetry. The poster was a designer who said her client contacted Sharp engineers, but the issue was left unresolved.

I will have painted cabinetry so the steam is a huge issue. I don't want the older model since the newer model (without the vents) has a deeper drawer interior.

Do you have a newer model of the microwave (the one WITHOUT the vents on the door), and if so, have you noticed any issue with steam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sharp Drawer MW=steam damage to cabinet?

I wonder how much steam actually is released. With the things I microwave there usually isnt a ton of steam. I would figure most steam would stay in the drawer and be released when the drawer opens. Wipe down and wet surfaces after you finish with the microwave and you'll be fine.

o

Thanks for your reply realism. The designer mentioned that her client microwaves frozen food about 7 min at a time (a frozen dinner?) frequently and the adjacent cabinet was being hit by steam regularly. I tend to reheat large dishes (hence my desire for a large m/w) so the time would be similar. I could wipe it down at the end, but it is the heat/steam that would be hitting the cabinet during reheating that worries me...

o

Uhoh. I have an older model not in place yet. I hadn't heard of this issue and will check where my vents are. Just checked mine in the garage mine has the vents on the front so shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

o

I've had the newer 24" Insight Pro model for 16 months. My cabs haven't sustained any damage, and I do not ever see steam released anywhere. We do not, however, eat MW meals. I reheat leftovers, defrost an occasional english muffin, and melt butter in mine. I've never heard any issue about steam from a MWD damaging cabs, and I've been here quite a while. Many, many of us here own them.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Oops! Need to put my Meyer lemon curd away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here