Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage drainboard sink over DW

Posted by mama_goose (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 11:22

I'm posting this thread because I have, on occasion, seen other threads where someone was asking if a vintage sink can be installed over a dishwasher, and I'd like to add this one to the GW collective wisdom.

I found pictures on the Old House Dreams website, of a custom remodeled kitchen, with a very well done (IMO) example. The DW and cabinets under the sink appear to be the same width (24"?), with the sink centered. The fridge cabinet on the right creates a break that's repeated by the left edge of the DW, and the upper cabinet appears to be the same width as the fridge cab. The whole group is centered on the window.

I think I would have used a paneled DW for an integrated look, matching the door/drawer fronts of the adjacent cabinets, but the owner may have wanted to tie in the SS fridge.

The kitchen is also a good example of the 'cabinets to the ceiling' vintage style. And since we all love vintage stoves, too, here is the stove wall:

Here is a link that might be useful: 1906 California Craftsman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage drainboard sink over DW

I looked at the listing and that is a lovely home. I love the woodwork and big floor grates. I was a little disappointed the grate wasn't more decorative. My inlaws have round cast iron ones that are beautiful.

I do love that kitchen and especially the sink. I wish my in laws would have taken care of their old sink which is similar.

o

Thanks for posting. I love it and am just now struggling with what to do for a sink for my 1916 house.

o

Good catch.

The trick is finding a sink from the '30s or later. Earlier sinks are farm-style sinks with a front apron that won't permit a normal DW, though you might be able to finagle a drawer DW or two under there. What's nice about the sink in that photo is that the drainboards are flat with no front apron, yet it still has the more rounded backsplash of the earlier sinks.

Boy, never saw anything like that house when I visited SD. Wonder where it is.

o

FABulous taste in stoves, of course.

Thanks mama_g! Keep the eye candy coming.

o

Thanks, all, the actual real estate listing says the house is located in South Park, Metro Central area.

Here's a pic (click for larger image) of arlosmom's wonderful sink, which illustrates Marcolo's point:
dishwasher closed photo DSC00294.jpg
If you scroll down in Marcolo's vintage sink thread, you'll find another pic of arlosmom's sink, and lots of other info on vintage style sinks.

And another one (possibly from the 1930's-40's?), without apron, found at KeepingItCozy blog:

I wouldn't want the DW that close to a wall (mine is a whopping 13" from side cabinets), but I'm impressed that she was able to fit it in at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen at KeepingItCozy

This post was edited by mama_goose on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 19:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here