Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

But it has large appliances!?

angie_diy
11 years ago

This is from a real-estate listing for a home that is far above my means. Misplaced priorities much? I think that KitchenNoobie1982, who joined on March 12, 2013, could do a better layout!

(I think that is an oversized fridge, but it could, I suppose, just be a distortion from the camera lens. What do you think?)

Comments (23)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

And it has granite! And it has stainless! Who cares if it not functional.

I do think though that the picture is distorted with a wide angle shot. Otherwise we would see how small the kitchen really is.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

khallock should show this to her DH. Or maybe not...

I particularly like the MW right in the landing space for the range. And you couldn't open the DW when you were standing at the sink. But they have granite (or is that quartz?) and SS!!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

that's definitely exaggerated by poor use of a fisheye lens. I don't think I've ever seen a fridge and microwave those dimensions.

• smiling
    11 years ago

Oh My! Imagine the damage if the DW and the range oven were open at the same time...

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I vote for this kitchen as #1 in the Worst Designed Kitchen category. Even really small kitchens - and this is one of them - can have functional layouts. Those responsible for this just didn't care.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

That's the original late 50s early 60s kitchen with new appliances and a granite countertop.

The original 42" range probably had the burners to one side, and there may not have been a DW in the original plan. It's still not a good layout but that explainssome things. Also note the round ceiling-placed exhaust fan.

The picture is the Realtor's special stretchy lens.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Interesting. My fish-eye and wide-angle lenses distort parallel lines. I can't see any of that there. Well, there is something wonky in the ceiling. However it happened or was done intentionally, I agree that the fridge has been distorted. The freezer handle is way asymmetric, and NO ONE would buy or design such a monster as it appears here. Would they?

BTW, what is that large middle drawer? to the left of the fridge? And no exhaust for the range?

Ahh, my dream kitchen at last.

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

If only the ceramic Easter Bunny cookie jar was equally distorted...

A kitchen with granite, SS, AND A HUGE EASTER BUNNY COOKIER JAR??? Of course, I'd put in an offer on this home.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I don't think that is a large middle drawer to the left of the fridge. Judging by the hardware, I suspect that is actually a door. Maybe it was where you were supposed to store that new-fangled mixer?

I'm really sorry about the new granite, but that kitchen needs to start over. At least the new appliances can be salvaged.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tmy_jax: You are right! I thought it was the Pillsbury Doughboy, but a closer look shows you are correct.

Good call, Pal. I was thinking that the sink was originally under the window and moved to the corner in a remuddle. However, I guess the vents in the sink cab (and the partial overlay) nail it as, if not original, pretty dang old.

House was built in 1954.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

... what is that large middle drawer? to the left of the fridge?

Judging by the hardware, I suspect that is actually a door.

I think you're both right. That looks like a drawer base that had two middle drawers/slides that couldn't be saved. It looks as if some one added a shelf, then took an upper cabinet door, turned it sideways and repositioned the pull. Ingenious!

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

A perfect example of a realtor telling the owners to buy SS appliances and granite so it will sell better. Now the new owners, if they aren't kitchen design savvy and are blurry-eyed after seeing 50 house for sale, will probably not notice how terrible the function is until they move in and try to cook more than one meal. Then they'll feel guilty ruining the granite and backsplash to redesign everything.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

tmy_jax -- holy cow, I thought that was the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man, and you gave me some serious GhostBuster flashbacks!

Interesting to see the stove: that dual-door Frigidaire is virtually the sole range on the American market for under $2500 that fits into the 39.5" space left from removing a fabulous vintage stove (Wedgewood, Chambers, O'Keefe & Merritt). I know this very well, having had to do the same hunt myself -- I gave up and put another vintage range in when I sold my house and took mine with me.

But the Brobdingnagian stainless appliances in the photo demonstrate that although they did not change the cabinetry at all, these were probably not vintage range people. Alas.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It's this, I think:
    {{!gwi}}

The fridge appears to be a Whirlpool 33". I wonder if there was some kind of semi built-in, before: there are small vent holes in the cabinets over the fridge.

I don't quite understand what kind of lens makes the stretchy photos but we would not let them use it on our apartment which had a 25 foot living room. We took our own pictures. They used this in the apartment we are renting and one of the lamps looks like it has an oval shade.

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

"Oh but look, honey, you can fill your pots for the stove and drain your pasta all while standing in one place. Now isn't that *efficient? And the pans can go directly from the stovetop to the dw!"

• Fori
    11 years ago

That's a late model Frigidaire range? I kinda love it, from here!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>. My fish-eye and wide-angle lenses distort parallel lines. I can't see any of that there

You can do this by shooting too close with a wide angle lens wide open, or only stopped down one stop.

It's a trend I absolutely despise. Who are they kidding anyway? Do they think people won't notice when they come to see the property that it's about half the size they made it appear?

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I like the exciting possibilities of getting burned calves from the oven door while standing at the sink ... and the delightful possibility of being trapped between oven and DW doors.

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

ha! If you put the sink under the window and the microwave OTR, and cut off the counterspace to the left of the micro, you'd have my horribly designed small kitchen! The DW scrapes down over the oven handle every time you open it, you can't be at the sink and have the DW open. I have to unload the bottom, close the DW, put the dishes away, and then do the top. There is NO landing space anywhere. And so on and so on and so on. The rest of the house it great, though. And even though the kitchen sucks, the granite and SS do make it nicer than without.

• Megan Meyers
    11 years ago

Ha. My current kitchen is worse! Admittedly it is not large at 12 x 12, but the original owners put in a 40 inch range and I have 2 drawers in the entire kitchen! There is so little storage and counter space it is laughable. I can't wait to have a decently laid out kitchen.

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

meyersdvm, I only have two drawers too! Wait, 3. But one is a junk drawer.

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Pal - HA! I think you nailed it!!!

So, since it's not a HUGE EASTER BUNNY cookie jar, I will have to remove my bid on this house. :o)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

To be fair, I'd rather have this kitchen than that one from a few months back that had something like 22 inch aisles around the ginormous island, remember that beauty? Didnt look like the DW could open all the way, but hard to tell.