Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corie_hall

Which Lacanche?

Deck The Halls
10 years ago

Hi,

I have gotten so much useful information from this site, thank you to everyone who has shared their oven/range experiences!

I have been researching ranges for several months for a new home we are building. Despite trying to be open minded about this process and considering all options and brands, I continue to going back to the Lacanche line.

I have a family of six people, three teenager girls and a young son. My husband and I love to cook and we frequently cook together. We like to cook many different foods from many different parts of the world. My eldest daughter enjoys baking. We also entertain frequently. We currently have a conventional stove with four burns (glass top) and an electric oven. So really anything would be an improvement!

I am currently considering either the Cluny 1400 or the Citeaux, although this changes almost daily! I really like the idea of having a warming oven and two other ovens to use. I am not concerned about the size of the ovens as I have used an Aga in the past and found the small ovens to be no problem. I am really undecided on the convection oven, I'm not sure if I would actually use it.

I am wondering if Lacanche owners could share which Lacanche you own and which configurations you opted for the oven(s)? Is there anything you would change?

Can you please also share how many people you regularly feed. I am very curious to learn if you have another oven or ovens in addition to your Lacanche? And if so, can you please explain when and why you use the Lacanche or other ovens?

Thank you so much for any help you can offer, I know it's a lot of questions!

Thank you!
Corie

Comments (12)

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

There's a forum of users that may be of interest to you:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacanche ranges users forum

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

How exciting! My Volnay is due to arrive in about two weeks, so I can give better advice then. I went with a gas oven, because I have a separate electric wall oven with a broiler (I was afraid of the smaller size, even though the volnay has their largest oven). What top configuration are you going with? I went with the traditional plate. And colors...what color are you thinking?

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi OOTM, Congratulations on your Volnay! I would love to hear your reviews once it arrives. If I go with either the Citeaux or the Cluny 1400, I will chose the traditional and add the classic as an option. I love the British Racing Green. The two Aga's I used were both this green and they looked lovely with cream cabinets. I'm planning on cream cabinets. I also like the Provence Yellow, it is just so quintessentially French. But, the photos I'm most drawn to are the black. Since my plan is to never replace this range, I need to make sure I never get tired of it. What color did you chose?

• achauer
    10 years ago

Be sure to request color chips of all the colors you are seriously considering. I found that the light and the changes it went through had a huge effect on how each color looked. For example, the British Racing Green looked essentially black in my kitchen. Be sure also to place the color chip vertically in the general position your range will be - that vertical face of the front is the only area that will have visible color (unless you have a freestanding range, of course).

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you achauer, great advice! I guess I may need to wait till the house is further along before I can fully decide on a color. Do you have any advice you can share on the need for an additional oven? Thanks!

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

I went with Faience, a light grey, that looks quite light blue in my house. At the point I ordered it, I had my cabinets ordered, and I had my farmhouse sink. Countertops, backsplash and wall color came later.

One thing, with the warming ovens, or vertical oven, the way the door swings open you need to have it slightly in front of your adjacent cabinets in order for the door to fully swing open. Just something to keep in mind during planning.

I love the racing green too, can totally see that with cream cabinets.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful color! I hope you post photos!

Thank you for the tip on the warming oven door, I will certainly keep it in mind with the planning.

• finestra
    10 years ago

I have the Sully, Black, one convection electric I use all the time, 1 gas. My advice, get two of the lowest burners. I have too many high burners and not enough simmer burners. Also, put your higher/hot burners in the middle so your exhaust fan will suck it right up.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, finesta. I love the Sully! Great advice on the burners, I will add it to my list!

• ChristyMcK
    10 years ago

I also want two ovens and a warming cupboard. My plan has been to get the Volnay and a separate 24" combi steam oven to meet this criteria. I hear such great things about the steam ovens and like the idea of having a more diverse set of tools to cook with.

However I do keep thinking of the Cluny 1400 and Citeaux since with these I'd also get two ovens and a warming cupboard. With either we could also get both traditional and classique burners but then we wouldn't have a steam oven.

At the end of the day I don't think we'll go with the Citeaux - our kitchen isn't that big, and when it's cost out, this range is a lot more than the Volnay+steam (thinking Miele) which I think we'd be happy with.

I know it's only a 4" difference with the Citeaux, but the Cluny 1400 seems like it would better fit into our space. It's also at a better price point. Though I'm not concerned about being able to fit things in the Cluny ovens, I am concerned about getting things in and out of the oven with ease.
    With the Volnay+steam I get the 20" oven which is what I have now and really like.

Thoughts on how to chose between a french plate or a steam oven would be welcome. I haven't used either before.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi ChristiMcK, I watched a great video on Harvest Eating with Chef Keith Snow. He cooks food on three different Lacanche ranges and goes into detail about the French Plate and it's uses.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!