Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsam00

LOVE looking at Cabinet Hardware - anyone else?

catsam00
16 years ago

We are in the completion stages of our kitchen renovation and I love looking at the different knobs and pulls for the cabinets and doors - I think it's because I am detail oriented but want to know if I'm the only one. Anyone love looking at cabinet hardware? Here are my final choices for the kitchen. Please share your cabinet hardware pics.

Comments (25)

• cate1337
    16 years ago

No links came through for your choices. :( I'd love to look!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Me, too, me, too. I chose 7 types of knobs/pulls for the kitchen, and I think there are 11 other types through the rest of the house. Can't imagine how much room it'd take to show them all! ;-)

One of my earliest memories is spending time at the hardware store where my dad worked, my sister and I playing with the knob display, taking the different knobs and holding them up to things in some kind of 'let's pretend' game about kitchens.

I will try to post photos of the kitchen hardware later.

• catsam00
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OOps - here are the pictures of my knobs and pulls

• cate1337
    16 years ago

Catsam - nice hardware! It'll be nice to see it all together. The first one does a great trompe l'oeil on my screen. (The dark part of the bin pull looks like just a pull, no bin, with the shiny part of the bin blending into the frame of the backplate.)

I couldn't post pix of mine (they're in the mail and the images are copyrighted), but here's a link. They are asymmetrical, so DH and I had the most ridiculous discussions as we tried to decide not only where we wanted pulls and where we wanted knobs but how we wanted to orient each piece. We actually said things like, "I think the wide end should go on the dining room side to help divide the rooms, but we should rotate the pull so that the negative space is closer to the negative space of the cabinet door."

Here is a link that might be useful: Modernist Pull

• edlakin
    16 years ago

those card-catalog looking ones are interesting. would you put labels in the little slot?

• raehelen
    16 years ago

I DID love it at first, but once I'd decided on an ORB finish instead of polished silver I found it much harder to find designs that had that WOW factor. Seems to me that the silver finish definitely offered more choices.

After months of humming and hawing finally chose MY favorite, not DH's :>) Bonus is they are VERY comfortable to hold, nice and smooth and lots of room for pudgy hands!

• catsam00
    Original Author
    16 years ago

edlakin - The card pulls are going on a hutch area (to the left in the picture of almost finished kitchen below):

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Heh heh (rubbing hands together) Knobs...I love knobs...heh heh (ok they make me a bit goofy...I love them) So here is the kitchen...

{{gwi:1442812}}

{{gwi:1442814}}

{{gwi:1442816}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

A few will not make it (the bunnies with the bow's most likely), but most have a spot.

The cat room:
    {{!gwi}}

And then there's the master bath...but I haven't taken pictures of them all (I think I have 15 different ones in there...all from the sea) :)

I just need more cabinets....I ummm LOVE knobs :oP

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Catsam, I love your hardware. I like the bin pulls that look authentic like that. Here are some of my kitchen choices. The wide pull and the dimpled knob go on the fir and burgundy painted cabinets, the smoother knob and the cup pull go on the cream painted island. I have sleeker, satin nickel choices to go on my light gray cabinets around the rangetop.

Raehelen, I love your choice, too. I picked that knob in satin nickel for our laundry room, because we thought it looked like folded laundry. I hope that doesn't offend you, because I don't mean it as an insult. I think those knobs are cool.

• luckyj
    16 years ago

catsam, I think that your pulls are a great choice. What a beautiful kitchen (so far!) too. I look forward to the final pictures. I have an OT request, however, and maybe since you're a self-proclaimed detail person, you won't mind my asking. Do you mind taking a close-up picture of how the mouldings on your uppers look (from the cabinet up to the ceiling). Do you have two or three different pieces on that run from cab to ceiling?

And Igloochic, those knobs are too funny. Very whimsical and cool. I can see my kids just dying over how much they'd want to take them off the cabs and just play with them instead.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

rhome410,

No offense taken at all! My girlfriend thinks they look like FIMO- (she likes them too). I love the organic feel of them, and your far left 'dimpled' one was one of my contenders too!

And no, I wasn't swayed by the name one little bit (DIVA) :>)

• catsam00
    Original Author
    16 years ago

luckyj - I will try to take a close up of the molding and then post. I believe there are 2 pieces to make up the molding.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

I just love looking at cabinet bling! I am ordering my cabinets this week for my "new" kitchen. The bling will be the last thing I order. My KD recommends getting the cabinets first so I can see how they will look all gussied up.

My faucet is going to be chrome, so I will probably go with a chrome finish. My range is stainless. I will have to see. I may go with another finish all together. My cabs are natural maple with the sink cabinet being natural maple with an expresso (black) stain. All are Shaker style. The sink cabinet will be "bumped" out three inches from the rest of the cabs.

I am so excited! I love everyone's choices. They are all so different and wonderful. I wish I could have them all!

• lissa711
    16 years ago

Anthropologie has some really nice hardware. I linked to a hammered nickle pull that looks beautiful. I'm considering ordering some different styles from them to see in person - not quite the same old same old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthropologie Hammered Pull

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

catsam Your kitchen is going to be fabulous. Love the look of it already. Here's my hardware. It's ORB.

Pretty "tame" compared to igloochic. ;-)

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I had a ball looking at all the hardware, too. But, I'm getting some arthritis in my hands and wanted everything I chose to, not only look great with my news cabs and coordinate well with each other, but feel good to use (no sharp edges, etc). I love Igloochic's cool hardware, but most would hurt my hands, I think. I ended up going with bin pulls, two different sets of knobs and one other set of pulls for my kitchen, all in the antique pewter finish. I had the hardest time choosing the right refrigerator door pulls, as most were too thin or uncomfortable when I pulled on them. But, in the end, I found the "perfect" ones and they look great together and feel good to use, too.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Vwhippiechick: I love the last pull on your cab and wondered where you got it. I have one at home just like that one that I got from a warehouse in TX when I was visiting but no mfg. name to help find more. I would LOVE to be able to order more!! Thanks so much!

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

I'll be a dissenting voice on this one

At first I was loving it... but as time wore on and nothing just popped out and said "I am perfect for your kitchen" I started to really loath it. It didn't help that the contractor was waiting on me at that point and that many of the knobs I like I would almost choke when I saw the price.

Looking at choices for other people is much more fun - no cost worries and usually they have some choices they are trying to decide between so its less frustrating that looking over thousands of designs. Still its not my favorite part of kitchens (backsplashes and granite are the most "fun" for me, while layout is the most addictive)

• tgpdd
    16 years ago

I hate looking at hardware. Actually, I hate most of this design stuff, and I feel completely insecure about it. I have no sense of style or color at all. My idea of the perfect decor is genuine Shaker--white walls, bare wood floors and no frills. If it weren't for the living arrangements, I might join up!

It's weird for me, because in general, I'm very secure about my choices in life.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

kulagal That pull came from our cabinet supplier. Sorry I don't know the name of the hardware company. I will try to find out where they ordered them from.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

VWhippiechick: Thanks much for checking. I hope you have good luck. I do love it!

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

Just to throw out another opinion, I hate pulls/knobs! Okay, not actually hate, but like somebody else said I'd be overwhelmed with the decision. So we opted not to have them in our kitchen, just notches in the doors to open them with. I figure I can always add hardware later if I really want to, and for now I'll just be happy with the clean lines and no choices!

• cambro5
    15 years ago

I just checked the pulls I like on ebay and then googled the model and the same seller has a lower price on their own website than they do on e-bay. I didn't know it worked this way. It might be cheaper to go directly to the seller's own web site - FYI!

• julie92
    15 years ago

Catsam........I love your cabinet color and island color! Could you tell me what brand and color they are? Your kitchen is going to be beautiful. What color countertops are you going with? I am in the process of picking out paint colors. My granite is tropic brown and my island is black.

• catsam00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

julie92 - The cabinet colour is Benjamin Moore CC-50 (White Down) and the island stain is Duraseal (I think) Dark Mahogany W-260. As for countertops I selected calacatta for the perimeter and the island is Nordic Black Antique. Hope this helps.