Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Interviewing KD's

msl511
12 years ago

Hi. I'm new to this forum and am just starting my gut kitchen renovation. I definitely need a KD. I've successfully hired plenty of tradespeople, so I have a general idea of how to go about hiring someone, but I'd love some advice on hiring a designer specifically.

I'll ask to see a portfolio, ask what their usual method is for working with clients and talk to them about how I want to work and see how they respond to that. I'll talk about my timeline, ask for references, discuss my budget and their fees, talk about what sort of look I'm going for and make sure I'm not talking to someone who has a signature look or style that's not my thing. What else? How do you figure out if someone is good in general AND if they're a good fit for you?

Comments (7)

• CollagePaint
    12 years ago

For some sense of how a potential KD would approach your project, you might ask about how much/how little/what kind of use he/she makes of his/her own kitchen. While a good KD should be able to design for a range of needs/desires, if the two of you have similar life styles, the designer will bring subconscious information that another might not. Julia Child probably would not have been happy with a designer for McMansions in which the kitchen is never really worked. And vice versa.

• sas95
    12 years ago

Marcia, I responded to your email. Let me know if you didn't get it.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I found this especially difficult. I had an architect, an interior designer, and a KD and in the end I think alot of the space and kitchen layout comes down to personal preferences and priorities. For example, if someone asks you "Do you want a pantry?" you are likely to respond "yes, of course" but if someone asks you if you want a pantry OR a countertop next to your fridge, your answer may be different.

If I had to start over, I would look for a KD who does not sell kitchen cabinets (does this person exist?) or I would first pay an interior designer to discuss the space, flow, and how to optimize it all if you have things to consider beyond the layout of cabinetry.

Keep in mind, that if you go to kitchen cabinet retailers who offer design services, you will be investing alot of time just to get a price. If price is a primary concern, and you are not leaning towards one particular brand of cabinetry, I would want an independent KD to layout the cabinetry details so it could be priced at several places, all with the same layout and details. Or you could do the layout yourself with the help of GW.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    12 years ago

I was a kitchen designer for 20 years. I put together a website that gives tips on how to buy a kitchen. I am not selling anything. I just wanted to give something back. I tried to make it thorough but not too wordy. Those of you who know me are aware I tend to talk too much. I hope the link below is of help.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to shop for a kitchen

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    12 years ago

Yes, Dilly, there are kitchen designers that do not sell cabinetry. That is a great option.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I wanted an independent KD, not tied to either a construction company or one cabinet line. Kind of like a fee-only financial advisor, IYKWIM. I had a lot of trouble finding such a person. In the end, I managed to find two. Actually, it didn't work out all that well for me, but I would still take that same approach if I had it to do over again. (It was GW who actually designed my layout!)

• User
    12 years ago

Most independent KD's havent' weathered the market downturn all that well unless they are very high end and have a well known name or are attached to an interior design firm. There weren't that many to begin with here in my market, and at least 3 of the 4 that I was aware of have stopped and gotten other jobs out of the field. The last one is now considering joining a cabinet firm in order to be able to have a regular income. She lasted longer than most. Thank goodness I retired right when the housing market started to crash! I doubt if I would have made it either, as I was working for a builder at the time who is now bankrupt.