Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conn123_gw

Should I avoid marble?

conn123
15 years ago

Hi, Just read "Everyone is trying to talk me out of soapstone" thread and felt that could be me writing if you substitute marble for soapstone. After much indecision on what would go with cream cabinet w/ glazing without making cabs look yellow in any way and also without clashing with cherry island and saltillo floors, I am (with help from many of you) leaning twds Crema Luna marble. Idea is to provide continuity and tie some of the disparate elements (cream and cherry cabs, saltillo tile floors) together. (See link below for one of my inspiration kitchens).

But GC, stone designer (who sells both granite AND marble) and DH are warning me that I will regret it at the first red wine stain...I'm thinking I'll be ok w/ the patina and the care but thought I'd run by all of you. Thanks for your help...again...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I just absolutely HATED my marble in the kitchen for counter-tops....they etched so badly that I had to take them out. I did put on the sealer as recommended...I called the manufacturer and they response was, "marble should not be used where there is much water and staining" but that was a happy day when it was gone!!!!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I adore my honed white Carrara countertop. It looks and feels beautiful. I sealed it well and I've spilled curry, tomato sauce, grape juice. No stains. I think there are a few etch marks but I can only see them if I put my face on the countertop and look from the side. They don't look bad.

I have a polished creamy marble (Crema Marfil maybe?) in my master bath. I love that marble too, but the etch marks are very, very noticeable. I don't think I'd use a polished marble in my kitchen ... I'd be too worried about damaging the polished finish.

Good luck!

Erika

• danielle00
    15 years ago

We're getting it on the island only. I was worried about putting it elsewhere-- soapstone was a better fit as far as maintenance and overall look.

• cocontom
    15 years ago

Will you just be ok with stains, or do you look forward to scratchy, stained "patina'd" counters? If you're just thinking "It won't be that bad" then do go with something else- it might not be that bad, but you will find something better.

I've hated the marble in my kitchen since about week two, but not from staining- we have a lot of scratches from pulling the coffee maker out and pushing it back. I didn't think it would be that bad.

I also thought that oiling the butcher block wouldn't be a big deal- but with 9 feet of non-sink counter, getting 5 feet completely cleared off and out of commission for hours, it is a royal pain. If we were neater it wouldn't be as bad, but we're not.

• conn123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

is it just the polished marble that etches and scratches or also the honed?
    cocontom, do you have any pics of what you mean?
    thanks again to all...

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Con123-

You pose a really good question - and here's how I would answer you:

Marble has been used in kitchens for millennia - it's just that now
    (over the last hundred years or so) with the advent of Granites being
    available for consumers, Marble and POLISHED Marble in particular -
    does not perform as well as many Granites.

I will be doing a podcast on this at Natural Stone 101, so watch for it -

but in short - as Erikanh has said - depending on the sealer and how
    you take care of it - as well as the HONED or BRUSHED finish being on it -
    you WILL see less wear - but remember - Marble IS softer than Granite...
    SO IT WILL SHOW WEAR FASTER - test some f you are not sure...

Watch for my Podcast on this - I think it will answer alot of people's questions
    on this issue

Regards

kevin

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Kevin restates well, as has been noted in many earlier threads on marble for countertops, that it's not for everyone. From a strictly utilitarian standpoint, it's second-rate. It is higher maintenance, and less durable, than other surfaces.

For some, including us (we have about 75 sq. ft of calcatta gold countertop), the payback is on an aesthetic/emotional level. For me, there is nothing that comes close to the warmth and incredibly "organic" look, and feel, of marble. Most folks seem to love granite: I don't--it's too "speckly" and busy, and it's cold to the touch. Marble is more subtle, warm, and "softer" to the touch. It's totally personal and subjective, but for us it was an easy choice.

But, just because it etches doesn't make it a bad choice, if etching doesn't bother you. It does bother me a bit, but I'm more than willing to put up with it for the look and fee. BTW, with proper sealing, staining should NOT be an issue, and the scratching is the result of heavy handed use. With sealer and a bit of care, marble won't scratch or stain.

And if etching and not dragging heavy appliances across the countertop is too much, then there are many options--granite and manmade composites for example.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Clinresga:

Thanks for your kind words... I recorded an Audio Podcast yesterday
    on this exact subject (Wednesday March 25th, 2009) .......

The "Marble For Kitchen Counters" podcast
    should be up on my Natural Stone 101 website by this afternoon - March 26th
    They're free to listen to and download - and they are designed to answer
    alot of the same "FAQ's" that people ask all the time about Natural Stone...

best regards

kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Stone 101

• conn123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks all for your words of wisdom...kevin, i'll catch your podcast tonight after work...

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

cool.....

BTW - The link I posted today at 9:25 does NOT have
    the Marble For Kitchen Counters podcast updated on it...

The link below should be the one you use...

Sorry for the confusion there -- I am still learning how to
    maneuver in iweb..... and upload new pages.....HA!

kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: The CORRECT LINK to Natural Stone 101