Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawjedi

Lesser evil? adequate venting vs. cabinet space

lawjedi
10 years ago

So, if I choose to center my cooktop --- and I'd like to -- I need to decide what to do about vent size.

I will have a 36" induction cooktop. I DO cook. A lot. Perhaps not like some on the board, but I will say that my kitchen gets a workout feeding our family of 6. And I do like to experiment with different styles of cooking.

I KNOW that I **should** have a 42" hood over the cooktop. Proper ventilation is important to me having lived with an inadequate OTR micro-hood for years, I know how annoying bad ventilation is...

But what if it negatively impacts the cabinets to either side?

**IF** I choose a 42" hood, I will have a 15" inch upper cabinet on either side.

**IF** I choose a 36" hood, I will have an 18" upper cabinet on either side.

I feel having (2) 18" cabinets is far more useful than (2) 15" cabinets.

So is having a 42" hood truly that much better that it trumps better storage?

Currently I have a 12" upper cabinet in my kitchen. It is so space restraining. Not much of my stuff can fit in there so it is not very versatile. I'm not sure how much more help a 15" cab would be.

I haven't spoken with the kitchen designer yet, but there *might* be a way to make the uppers 16" with the 42" hood. This possibility is intriguing to me because then the spice holder that I'm currently using and like would fit in the cabinet. It would not fit in a 15" cab.

Any input? Thanks!

Comments (5)