Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

new appliance question specifically dishwasher

ardcp
10 years ago

for anyone that used there kitchen place to install your cabs, who installs your otr micro (no other choice in the design) or your gas stove? my kitchen place says they don't install appliances but i am assuming the stove gets disconnected and moved for the cabs to come out, right? i know i've seen people say it has to move out for granite install. i am now stuck acting as my own gc(kind of) since my installer that was doing everything has now had amnesia and did not put me on his schedule and sent me a new quote that includes next to nothing but is the same cost. so the gc was doing all the install of appliance and the backsplash now i have to figure those parts out. any advice appreciated!

Comments (5)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Does your OTR MW vent to the outside? If so, do you have someone do to the ductwork? My undercabinet range hood was installed by my electricians, though it wasn't in their scope of work. They were just nice guys!

I don't have a gas range - do you need a plumber to install? I know most areas require a plumber to run the gas line.

The range definitely needs to come out for granite install.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Are you keeping the current appliances or buying new? If the appliance place isn't installing new appliances, well, the GC of the job is who usually does the install. Or, the cabinet installer if paid extra for the job. Appliance installs, if they include all of the needed new shutoff valves, water supply lines, and cords can add up to about $500-1K on a kitchen job. See if your cabinet guy would do it for the $500 extra. That's assuming that the kitchen is already set up for a DW. If not, then you will need a plumber and an electrician to do the rough ins before that can happen.

This post was edited by live_wire_oak on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 12:14

• ardcp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lwo- so most appliance places do the install ? i have only used hd and vowed not to do so again as the installs go fine but the appliances seem to have a very short life cycle. makes me think that like the faucets, they are made with cheaper parts for lowes and hd. i have to replace the dishwasher unexpectedly and i was planning on replacing the micro anyway. the stove is up in the air.
    annkh- no vent to the outside, its not ideal but we are not big fryers or meat eaters so i am fine with keeping it the same. the gas line is already there as we currently have a gas stove but wasn't sure if the granite installers have to disconnect it for the counters and if so do they hook it back up.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I've installed an OTR micro - it's definitely a 2-person job. I assume you have power for it?

I've also installed a couple of dishwashers, but the supply and drain lines were plumbed under the sink.

For my remodel last summer, the electrician wired the DW, the plumber connected the supply and drain lines when he installed the faucet and GD, and the quartz installer mounted it to the bottom of the counter. It was an existing DW, so no appliance store involved. I made sure that the supply and drain lines were in place (taped to the floor) before the cabinet installers arrived, so they could notch out the base cabs for the hoses (my DW is not right next to the sink).

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

We had a plumber install our DW (DH could have done it, he did twice before, but felt it was worth spending $50 not to have to).
    Since the electrician had to put a plug for the OTR in the cabinet above, he helped with the install of it, but he did charge an extra $100.
    If your range was gas and going back into the same location, there should already be a gas line there, but I would still have a certified gas installer do the disconnect and re-hook. If it isn't going into the same location, only a gas installer should do the new line, remove the old one, and do the hook-up. Gas can be tricky.