Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kngwd

Finished Kitchen -pic heavy

kngwd
12 years ago

I posted a couple pics of my ungrouted BS the other day..here are some of the whole kitchen - before & after. This was a mostly DIY job. Thanks to everyone on here for your suggestions - I found my sink, lights & cabinet maker from people here!!

Before

After....

Comments (23)

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Congratulations!!! Love the pattern on your backsplash tile. Your kitchen looks functional, comfortable and lovely. ENJOY!!

• modern_mom35
    12 years ago

Beautiful! All your hard work really paid off

• taggie
    12 years ago

The backsplash really completes your kitchen and the cabinet color is so warm and inviting looking. I really like the seeded glass cabinets beside your sink.

And the peninsula is a great addition. I like the saddle stools you have. I bet it's wonderful to have a place for people to perch and visit, yet everything can be put out of the way when you need it to be.

Great job, and congrats!

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Very nice...your backsplash is great. Love the apron steel sink. What is your faucet?

Cheers to a job well done.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

It must be sooooo nice to have those cabs all the way to the ceiling! I love your color selections too, very warm and inviting.

cheers

• splitrock
    12 years ago

I absolutely love those tall, elegant cherry uppers. Taking those cabinets to the ceiling made such a difference. Your choices for countertops and BS just look so RIGHT and well thought out. I also really like the looks of your pendants- they remind me of the uppers. Both have that elongated elegant look. I am sure that your family will enjoy that space for many years to come.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

What a difference in your space. Your new kitchen seems more "adult" and sophisticated. I really like your pendant lights (wish I had seen those when I was looking - where are they from?) and the backsplash that ties in your cabinets and counter.

• Laurie35
    12 years ago

I really like the way you added the peninsula. It really makes the kitchen look more finished and connected. I adore your floor.

• tea4all
    12 years ago

You have created a lovely kitchen! Those tall cabinets are beautiful and your granite complements them wonderfully. Enjoy!!

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

It looks great. That is one heck of a DIY good. Congrats!

I want to know about your pendant lights.

• deedles
    12 years ago

I like your cabinets! Where did you get them and may I ask what the finish is?

Lovely.

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

Fresh, new, attractice, and practical...wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing.

• Linda
    12 years ago

That was mostly DIY? Wow! You're talented! Very nice!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

I love the backsplash too; it does just what a BS is supposed to do; picks up and highlights everything else, really underscores it.

Well done!

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

DIY?!?!?! That is a fantastic job! Love the sink. We are getting an apron front for the kitchen. Your cabinets are so rich and warm. Enjoy your new space.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

How elegant!
    I love the visual peace.

I hope you'll enjoy it for a very long time.
    Christine

• dragonfly08
    12 years ago

Lovely!! What a great job! I'm also loving the pendants. How do you like the way they give off light?

• whisperingwillow
    12 years ago

Very nice. I love the changes. So glad you posted pics because what caught my eye is I have a frigidaire stove and need to buy a new fridge and dishwasher. Frigidaire apparently doesn't make good products (from reviews Ive read) other than their cooking appliances. I was concerned about trying to match the SS. I see it works in your kitchen so it will work in mine! Thanks for sharing!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

The wood floors are a superb transition. And the granite
    you chose is simply exquisite with the backsplash.

How do you like the floors?

Did you stain the cabinets a warmer color? They look
    fetching with the granite. I guess I assume you
    updated the stain or polish on them.
    The hardware and faucet are charming. All your choices
    are perfect for your space.

I love the updated window coverings. What does the
    rest of the space change to? I see that you even got a new
    kitchen table and dark black stools. I love that you
    updated this to create a spectacular kitchen.

What color paint on the walls? I miss having yellow in
    my kitchen. I love the color. It is not an overpowering
    yellow and trust me some yellows can be shocking in certain
    lights. But your yellow is soothing and brings out the
    radiant warm color of the backsplash and countertop. And
    of course looks yummy with the warm wood cabinets and
    floor.

You even put in cans into the ceiling? Was that an
    outrageous expense or was it reasonable?

I love all the astonishing updates.
    ~boxerpups

• kngwd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone!! I posted pics then took off for the weekend, and now I have to run out for a basketball game! Can you believe I have forgotten the names/brands of things already??? I will check back tonight when I have time to give all the details.

Boxer - I can tell you that the cans were very reasonable! I totally lucked out - my son's friend's dad is an electrician. Last spring (when we were in demo mode) he offered to swap electrical work for DH being his asst. baseball coach!! We got 4 cans, 2 new pendants for the peninsula, a ceiling fan/light in the adjoining FR and an outlet moved for $100!!!

More tonight, I promise!!!

• springroz
    12 years ago

What a pretty, warm space that is now!! I love the layout of the kitchen and the house, very well done!

Nancy

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Lovely lovely. Well done! Enjoy.

• kngwd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I'm back with some answers!

the pendants - Uttermost Galeana...I wish I could remember who on here also has them!! Love them!! They have a fish-scaly thing about them that looks pretty at night...I didn't photograph it but we have the 3 light matching fixture over the table also.

Oh, and I love the wood floors! They were pre-finished, so not all that hard to install (once the floors were level, that is!!). I must admit we have put some dings, dents and scratches in them, but it is sooo much better than that nasty old vinyl & blue carpet we had!! Love just sweeping them up and a damp mop to clean.

The cabinets were custom - Blue Mountain Woodworking in PA (also a GW recommenation!). They are maple with a cinammon stain. Not quite 42" but close to it. The best part was (I should get a picture of this) we took out the sheetrocked pantry next to the fridge and went with a pantry cabinet. Since they were custom, we had a couple of inched added to them to so we bought a standard fridge but the deeper cabs make it look more built-in.

Sink & faucet are both Kraus - a combo deal from expressdecor.com

Paint color - I went with Muralo, which I LOVED. Never used before, but the coverage was great. The color is Clover Honey (or Honey Clover???). Just enough yellow for me.

The kitchen opens to the FR. We put built-ins on either side of the fireplace there. For those we did Conestoga & assembled/painted them ourselves. Then we took a drive to M. Tex and found Julia soapstone remnants for under $500 that we used in there. I'll try to get a pic of that. I was afraid to go soapstone in the kitchen, so I was able to get in the house somewhere!!!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz