Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barlowmom_gw

DIY White Induction Range - Should I?

barlowmom
10 years ago

The only white induction range on the market in the U.S. seems to be a Viking, which is well out of my price range.

But Whirlpool has an induction range with double ovens (what I want) in my price range in stainless:
www.whirlpool.com/-[WGI925C0BS]-1021750/WGI925C0BS/1021009/

And a white ice double oven electric range in what looks like the same dimensions:
http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WGE755C0BS]-1021748/WGE755C0BS/1021009/

What if I bought the door panels for the white range as spare parts and installed them on the induction model?

I think it would look better than spray painting.

Has anyone tried this?

Or have I lost my mind?

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

Better check out the price of those doors first! They aren't cheap. It's only going to be economical to do if you can DIY the whole labor thing.

• barlowmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think we can do the labor ourselves, but since the range is about $1600 (v. $5k+ for the Viking) I could buy both and still be "saving" money.

I could have the range professionally painted but I think it just wouldn't look as good.

• northcarolina
    10 years ago

Assuming the doors are interchangeable between the two ranges, which they might not be, I think it would look odd because the riser at the back of the range won't match the doors. You'd have a stainless riser, black trim around the top (from the looks of the induction range), and white doors. It might end up looking like you needed aftermarket replacements but couldn't find them to match.

I do think it's perfectly OK to have a range that is not the same color as the other appliances. Until we had to replace the fridge, our DW and fridge were white, and our range and hood were stainless (for the same reason you've found -- no white induction in our price range). It looked fine. Our cabinets are white, so the white appliances blended in with them and the range/hood didn't look at all odd being different; almost like a "feature" if you can say that about a 30" freestanding range.

Another option, depending on whether you can reconfigure your cabinetry, would be an induction cooktop with a white wall oven. I believe there are some wall ovens that can be installed below an induction cooktop (Ikea shows theirs placed that way), but you'd want to check carefully.

• barlowmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've gone and bought a copper apron front sink, and my husband can't stand combining it with stainless - plus all of our other appliances are brand new and white.

Maybe I could also buy the white trim for the control panel. I don't mind the black riser with the cooktop, in theory.

• hsw_sc
    10 years ago

I would get it professionally painted. It would probably cost less than getting spare parts and you could have it painted any color that you wanted.

• User
    10 years ago

Out of curiosity, who would you go to if you wanted a range professionally painted? I'm guessing because of the heat factor that would require a special paint & finish.

• barlowmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read on an old thread here that some people have done it themselves and others used auto body shops.

In theory I could do it myself, but I'd never hear the end of it if I made a mistake!

• crl_
    10 years ago

If you figure it out, do let us know. I am stuck with a stainless range for exactly the reasons you describe and I would vastly prefer white.