Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
x post undermounting a bathtub

Posted by palimpsest (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 11:02

Not much action in the bathroom forum.

I am brainstorming regarding a very small bathroom renovation. There are two baths and it makes sense, lifestyle-wise, to put a larger shower in the slightly larger bathroom and put a small bathtub in the the very small bathroom.
So I am looking at 48" and 54" tubs. In this housing segment that would not be a strong negative.

Kohler makes the 48" acrylic "Greek" tub, which is a deep soaking tub, and the 54" cast-iron "Seaforth" tub.

The other choices are enameled steel through American Standard and Bootz. (I wish Kohler still made their 48" cast iron tub). I would like to stay away from a steel tub.

I would really like a 48" tub because of the shorter size, but the Greek tub is a drop in, and it would be an alcove installation. It would have a shower or it would never be used.

I was thinking that, if a customized deck was fabricated out of Corian, a cove (almost like a short backsplash) could be placed around the perimeter eliminating a lower corner seam in its entirety and a flange could be placed for tiling.

I think this could get expensive but could be worth it. Has anybody done a deck of this sort?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: x post undermounting a bathtub

I'm not quite sure I can visualize what you are saying with "eliminating a lower corner seam in its entirety" -- do you mean to extend a flat Corian surface (deck) around the tub? Many tubs are already "undermounted" in that they are made with flanges on three sides for tiling a wall down over them -- it would be a matter of figuring out how to place your bigger flat deck over that flange, wouldn't it?

The Seaforth, you can just see the tiling flange in the photo:

You might do best asking the pros over at the J. Bridge tile forum.

o

Dunno about your specific question, but when I was researching, it seemed to me the Greek tub was way too deep to use comfortably as a shower. Toe-bangingly deep as you enter or exit.

o

The Greek tub has no flange because it is a drop in. The custom deck would go over the top rim and have a cove and flange created on it out of the material.

Yes, I was wondering about the depth. I would definitely have grab bars and possibly try to recess it slightly to lower the top relative to the floor.

o

I think you need to mock up the depth of the Greek and try it. I too would find it awkward to use as a shower. Take some foam blocks or a phone book and stack it on your current tub ledge and see how you feel about it.

As far as your technical question, because Corian can be solvent welded to itself, you could do the tub deck slightly wedged to angle inward to drain better, and then have it coved to the surrounding wall panels. A good fabricator could do that with no issues. Find the place in town that's handled it the longest and get the most experienced guy and that should work.

o

I would be completely happy if they made something like the Seaforth in 48" instead of 54" (they used to). I am just afraid to use something ultracheap like the Bootz or American Standard enameled steel. A lot of them go in a lot of renovations around here (even $500K condos--I knock on tubs at open houses to see what they are), but i don't think I want one even in a secondary bathroom.

o

Actually if I were to go with the Kohler Greek tub, which is awfully deep, and had to customize a solid surface deck for it, I might as well check out the possibility of doing a soapstone tub that is 48" long by 24" wide and has a bathing well of about 12".

The Bootz 4-foot tub has a bathing area that is only 20" wide by 44" long, and the Greek is also 20" wide by only 36 at the bottom (but very deep).

So. the bathing well of the stone tub would actually be quite a bit larger because the walls would be relatively thin. It could possibly work out less expensive than the Greek tub, or the 54" Kohler Seaforth (with a similar sized bathing well), but much more expensive than the cheap Bootz tub (which I am trying to avoid).

o

I got the estimate on a slab soapstone bathtub and the price is probably much less than doing the Kohler Greek Tub + fabricating a solid surface deck with tile flange for it.

The soapstone fabricator has actually made bigger sinks than the size of this bathtub, this will just be deeper. It's actually a distinct possibility.

o

Is a Corian *tub* a possibility?

o

holy cow why wouldn't you want a *soapstone* tub if you could and it makes sense in the space! and wouldn't it make sense in a c. 1785 Philly house?? maybe some special texturing for non-slip, aka "little runnels for feet"

this one is a little too modern (and certainly *way* bigger) but gets the idea across I think

cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here