Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Pull out cabinet require a fller?

Posted by miruca (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 11:01

Does a pull out cabinet next to a wall require a filler? I thought one of the benefits of a pullout llwas to use the space functionally vs filler. However, I am being advised that a filler is stil needed with a pull out.

They probably know what they are talking about - but from reading GW I know that the solutions here sometimes differ from the norm... and are usually successful.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Pull out cabinet require a fller?

You always need a filler against a wall with full overlay cabinets because walls are not straight and true. I usually split a 3" filler into 1 1/2" because that's fairly easy for the installer, but in instances where every inch counted, I've used a 1" filler. If you place a pull out next to a wall without a filler, you run the risk of scraping the wall every single time you use it where there is a high spot in that wall. Also, this cannot be a "filler pullout" cabinet as those have to go between two cabinets, not next to walls or appliances. At least it can't go next to a wall without blocking and panels that your installer will charge you extra and cuss you for. It can be a "pantry pull out" with a filler next to it against the wall.

RE: Pull out cabinet require a fller?

Does the adjacent wall also have a doorway closer than the full extension of the pull out? If so, you need to be far enough away to clear any door trim.
 photo drawer-1_zps7aa9cccf.jpg

RE: Pull out cabinet require a fller?

We are using frameless, which are by definition full overlay, cabinets to squeeze every inch out of our small kitchen. But we still have filler. I think it's 1 inch next to each wall where we have cabinets. We have a spice pull out, a tray pull out, a drawer stack, and a pantry pull out next to walls, so a very small spacer at each place for the reasons above. We also have a spacer by the fridge in our upper cabinets since it sticks out past the length of the door, so to allow space for the handle when opened all the way there's a spacer. That one is actually like 2.5 inches to make the cabinets look balanced around the window. If I didn't have a fridge end panel I would have had enough room for a 3 inch size increase, but missing fractions of an inch are the story of my kitchen.

I've read that in fully custom builds the spacer can be made as part of the cabinet, with the door positioned accordingly. But I bet that's $$$$$$.

RE: Pull out cabinet require a fller?

Good information - I can deal with a 1" filler.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here