Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caminnc1

Anyone used gray marble?

caminnc
12 years ago

Saw this yesterday while looking for granite and fell in love with this. Would gray be better or worse than white marble? I would use this in a heart beat if it were granite. It looks even better irl. Any info. would be appreciated.

Comments (16)

• Frazestart
    12 years ago

That's gorgeous, what is it called?

• Heatherash8210
    12 years ago

go for it. looks beautiful

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

You need to re-read your post. You fell in love with it. That says it all. Go for it.

Bee

• caminnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bee, I am just so afraid I would mess it up. I am also wondering if it would be too matchy-matchy to my DR. What do you think?

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

re: Marble and your dining room....I think they compliment each other....very pretty

Lovely Marble...does it have a name??

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

The more I see the more I say GO GO GO!!!!!

Talk about tying it all together! I would call that a sign if ever there was one.

I can see it in your kitchen with lots of white accessories....oh Heavens...

• caminnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beachpea, thanks. Might be graffite. I wrote it down but I left everything in DD's car because we got back late. I really need something indestructible, are they mining stone on the moon yet?

• ramses_2
    12 years ago

May I suggest getting a sample and running the classic tests?(Wine, catsup and lemon)

The problem with other than white marble is that etching tends to really disfigure the non whites....unless it's serpentine(green) and a particular black marble.(Which don't appear to etch)

Your grey may soon be covered with very ugly white etching. Best to spot check.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Agree with Ramses. Not all marbles are created equal. IIRC, when I was looking for marble I read some things that scared me from gray marble. I wish I could remember what and where I read that.

The first and best step is to get a sample and test as you would with any other marble for staining, etching, scratching, etc.

Let us know if you come up with name. That could ring a bell in the back of my brain. Good luck!

• caminnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ramses, that is what I was thinking. That granite is a two hr. drive so I may wait until our local marble guy gets back from Italy on Monday to see if he has a sample. My DD who has worked with marble several times said she would use it in a second. Of course she probably thinks I would replace it again in 15 years anyway.

Bee, you have to stop, I am drooling all over my computer.

I have white wainscoting in my kitchen with beige on the top, black stair rails and black back door. My new appliances will be black (DH hates stainless) so the colors work really well with the gray marble.

Your new kitchen is going to be gorgeous, I'm sooo jealous!

• roarah
    12 years ago

Etches are far more apparent on black and darker marbles so I would certainly get a sample too. I know the etches show more but I am not certain if they etch as readily as white marbles do. It is lovely and if it etches too easily than maybe look for a similar greyish soapstone? But the stone in your heart is very polished and soapstones may not give the same look and feel. Here is to hoping it is a great kitchen material!

• caminnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks breezy, I have the name but like I said, it's in my DD's car. I will post it when she brings me the papers. I think the white marble would show less wear too.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

It looks so much like soapstone... a shiny soapstone. Would you consider soapstone? Now that stone is a workhorse!

• caminnc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yes, I would consider it. I love soapstone, tell me more!

• Fori
    12 years ago

Pretty yes, but if it etches, it'll show due to the shiny shinyness. If honed, it might conceal etches okay. I used a honed gray marble at it passed the tests just fine, but it was quite a bit lighter than yours.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Oh Gosh... there is a plethora of information on this board about soapstone. There are harder varieties, soft veiny ones, quiet ones, wild crazy ones (like mine). Here's a link with about a weeks worth of reading on soapstone from posters on our forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: some soapstone reading