Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dermnp_gw

Kitchenaid wall oven and micro/convection, one unit or separate?

dermnp
11 years ago

We are getting ready to order our appliances and not sure if we should just get the kitchenaid wall oven and the micro/convection as one unit or buy them separate. It will cost more up front to have them separate. The one unit looks nice but my husband is concerned that the micro will fail and need to be replaced. Any experiences with either or any advice?

Comments (13)

• SadieV
    11 years ago

I purchased the Kitchenaid wall oven and Micro/Convection as two separate pieces for that exact reason. I have to say I am completely pleased with both pieces. I hesitated on the micro/convection because I wasn't able to find a lot of reviews on it, but it has been everything I hoped it would be. Actually, it has so many features it took me a while to learn how to use some of them. Here's how mine looks after installation.

• dermnp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for posting a picture, because now i am going to harass you with more questions..LOL. Your counter looks similar in color to what we are getting, we are going with the Giallo Ornamental. Is that a travertine backsplash you have? Also I am looking at green for the walls, what green do you have? Are you happy with it? We are going with off white cabs but yours look really nice. And though I do agree the one piece unit does look nicer with only one control panel, your does look very high end and is a safer choice.

• rkb21
    11 years ago

dermnp- We are making this EXACT decision right now. I love the look of the KA unit. I am leaning towards two separate units b/c I figured ovens last a long time [current thermador is 20yrs old and still works] but who knows about the microwave. We're changing it out b/c it's only a 24inch and would like something bigger now that we're making changes to the kitchen.

SadieV-So glad to hear that you're happy with the mw and the oven.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I decided on 2 separate units - if one dies, you replace just the one unit...
    I was leaning towards Elux but ended up going with 2 different brands - solved that problem... (Wolf oven and Advantium speed oven)
    Here is a similar picture to see another pair of separate ovens..

• ali80ca
    11 years ago

I also bought 2 separate units for the same reason you stated. I was a little paranoid that one of them would break and need to be replaced. Seemed easier to buy 2 units

• SadieV
    11 years ago

dermnp - The countertop is quartz - Hanstone Bavaria. The paint is SW Svelte Sage. It is a cooler green, but yes, we do like it. It took a little getting used to, but now I'm really happy with the choice. I know it sounds crazy, but I don't even have the details on the backsplash. While our entire house was torn up with remodeling, both my parents were taken quite ill. I have a friend that does tile work, and as he knew I was in way over my head at the time, he just kind of took care of it for me. He showed me his choices, and I went along with it. I've never regretted it.

rkb21 - As I love to cook and bake a LOT, I spent a lot of time shopping and choosing appliances. I actually considered some of the higher end models, but after carefully comparing the features and price, I bought the KA. The micro/convection is fantastic. It heats to 350 degrees in less than 5 minutes. Crisps and bakes like a champ. LOVE the soften/melt mode and steam cook features on the microwave. The larger oven bakes 3 big pans of cookies at a time and they are all perfect. At Christmas time, I hosted a group of friends and we baked 125 dozen cookies in one day. They were amazed at what this baby could turn out. With the large window in the door, my family thinks is better than watching HD TV.

Good luck with your choices!

• stacieann63
    11 years ago

Hi I have the units as one combination unit. We freshened up our cabinets and kept them in our reno. We did have to modify the cabinet to fit them but are happy with the way they look. The previous owners had a easy bake oven and microwave the size of a VW bug in it's place. There was a learning curve, but I love the steam cycle on the microwave and the ovens really do cook evenly on each rack. I have not really used the the upper oven as an convection oven much. Just on holidays and I'm not really familiar with all the functions. I did use the clean cycle without incident this past month.The cooling fan runs for a bit after using the microwave. That took some getting used to and just learning all the buttons! Good luck to you.

• camphappy
    11 years ago

I have the all-in-one combo Kenmore Elite unit. I was able to get it 1/2 off during a wall oven sale at Sears and love them both so far. I too am worried about one breaking so will keep a warranty on them.

• kjheck
    11 years ago

SadieV - I love your oven/microwave, looks great in your kitchen. I've been considering this same kitchenaid combo also, but was wondering what the electrical requirements are. I currently have a whirpool oven/microwave all-in-one combo unit with one 240V outlet (I believe). Does your set up require two 240V outlets, one for each unit? I would like to purchase separately, but can only have one 240V outlet.

• julieste
    11 years ago

If you want to think long range, definitely get the two separate pieces. We were at the appliance store yesterday discussing this with the salesman. We have a twenty year old combo that is going to need replacement soon. The first issue is that sizes change, especially for those combo deals. The salesman told us that we would be MUCH better off just hiring a carpenter to reconfigure our cut out so we could use separate appliances. We'd have more options, buying the appliances would be cheaper, and we'd be able to replace just the one rather than the entire unit if one of the appliances broke. I wish someone had given me this advice when we had our cabinet custom made to fit the all-on-one twenty years ago.

• SadieV
    11 years ago

The two units have separate outlets on separate circuits. I hope you can make it work.

On a different note, the main circuit board went out on our micro convection last week. It was 15 months old. Thankfully we had the extended warranty and has been repaired at no cost to us.

• SadieV
    11 years ago

The two units have separate outlets on separate circuits. I hope you can make it work.

On a different note, the main circuit board went out on our micro convection last week. It was 15 months old. Thankfully we had the extended warranty and has been repaired at no cost to us.

• PRO
    Pools Plus LLC.
    last month
    last modified: last month

We have the Kitchen Aid 30" combo with microwave. Actually our second consecutive unit. When we remodeled the kitchen 4 years ago, I insisted we replace the 5 year old exact same unit that was in the wall fearing out old one would die the minute it went in new cabinetry.. Back in December 2023 the new microwave died and American Home Shield and their provider has replaced three different control boards and remain unable to find the correct parts which appears to be the actual "magnetizer." Kitchen Aid is even saying since that model is "discontinued" no parts will be available and the unit is only 4 years old! Based on that policy alone I recommend buyers run from Kitchen Aid. We will be 90 days without a unit next Tuesday.