Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Anyone out there try painting your appliances?

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

I made a mess out of my fridge a while back - some TSP solution dripped over it and then I tried to clean it with some other stuff - long story short, the finish is not the best looking especially in bright daylight.

Wondering what to expect with an epoxy finish - have you done it, how is it holding up? Yeah I know its probably not as durable/scrubbable as the original finish, but.... on the other hand, its not like the original finish was all that perfect & durable either. Any and all input welcome - before I take the plunge!

I was thinking of some sort of nice medium gray to go with floors and accent the yellow walls/cream trim. Or maybe the fake stainless.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to update with stainless steel paint

This post was edited by kashka_kat on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 10:59

Comments (14)

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

My dad this this to his dishwasher, it looks great. I thought it was ben moore, but I can't find it anywhere. I'll ask him later what he used.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I'd be careful with a gray's tone, because you can end up with a huge, foot locker looking thing in your kitchen.

These epoxies are great these days. I've seen some do this with chalk paints and a serious sealer, too.

Have you looked at this stainless steel paper? I saw it on several different HGTV shows. Here: Stainless Steel Films. This stuff gets GREAT reviews.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I posted these fridge fronts yesterday. They are about 70.00, currently one with autumn leaves on sale for 15.00

Here is a link that might be useful: fridge fronts

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ewwww - foot locker gray, that does bring back some unpleasant memories of HS gym class. Enough said!

Will have to look for the ss panels - its real steel? Not sure about how seams would be done? Wouldnt want anything too evocative of contact paper.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

How old is the fridge? They aren't the longest lived appliances these days. If it is older than 5 years, I might think about having some fun with a makeover for it. Like decoupaging it with rice paper, or wrapping paper, or even bits of aluminum foil that have been crumpled and smoothed out. Copper leaf it. Crazy quilt it with fabric scraps and rick rack at the joins. Wood veneer glued to it. Something other than the ordinary.

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

I did this to a dishwasher as well, and it worked reasonably well. Did a spray-enamel which only kinda sucked that my spray-skills are subpar. A couple of spotches are visible in the right light, but not noticeable to anyone but me. Everyone compliments me on it. :)

Used Rustoleum Enamel Spray paint in gloss black.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its a Whirlpool in a Kenmore disguise - about 10 yrs old and still running beautifully. I think appliances in general started to go downhill after that so I want to avoid shopping for a new one as long as possible.

Are fridges generally made out of metal? I thought they were but the pebbly surface on mine seems kind of plastic. The stove is definitely enameled metal metal but what are fridges? Method of painting is different for plastic panels vs metal.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

Go check out the blog Young House Love. They just painted their frig white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Young House Love

• ruralredhead
    10 years ago

We painted a white chest freezer black. It lasted about 4 years before showing some chipping. We used an appliance-specific spray paint from the hardware store.

• gnancyanne
    10 years ago

I painted my old dishwasher to match my lower cabinets. The new cabinets are gray but the dishwasher was white and I thought it would stick out like a sore thumb. I took a cabinet door in to the paint store to get the paint matched and the paint guy also tinted the primer. I told the paint store what I wanted to do and took their advice as to what paint and primer to use. I can't remember the paint, but I'm pretty sure the primer was XIM.

I washed off the front of the DW with TSP, lightly sanded, wiped it off with a damp rag, let dry and used a mini roller to apply the primer. Repeated the sanding step and rolled on a coat of paint. I thought the finish could be better so stopped in at a different location of the same store and they gave me a little paint extender and I bought a different type of mini roller. Then, a second coat of paint.

It hasn't been that long, but so far--so good. I still want to do something to the control area so it won't be so white, but haven't figured it out yet. {{!gwi}}

• justinjk
    10 years ago

I spray painted my white fridge with Chalkboard Paint. It is holding up good except the the handles the paint is wearing off. Been about a year.

• User
    10 years ago

A 10 year old fridge has one foot at death's door. I'd just replace it if I couldn't live with the spot. Average lifespan for them hs been 7-10 years for quite some time. Of course, if you only have your time and a $10 can of paint to lose, and you want another project, then what the heck, right?

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, more time than money right now.

Logically - if the average is 7-10 years that would suggest that some would die earlier, while others would live longer. I'm hoping mine is in the latter category - it still purrs like a kitten.

Question: would stainless steel paint look goofy if it went on a pebble finish? Both doors and sides are pebbly, not flat and smooth.

This post was edited by kashka_kat on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 8:54

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Don't know about paint on pebbly, think it might turn out rather like the "hammered" metal look?

Just wanted to say that my sister had her wall ovens professionally repainted, and they still looked good 10 years later when she sold the place.