Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmelt_gw

Final strech: Backsplash help, please (pics)

azmelt
14 years ago

Finally getting to the end, but I'm going nuts trying to decide on backsplash. My initial vision for the kitchen was to have it neutral colors with white cabinets and white subway tiles for the splash. When the granite went in yesterday, however, I can see that I may need to change my plan. There is quite a bit of creamy white in the granite, and I'm wondering if I need more contrast than white subways (even with a textured surface) would provide.

I'm also liking this glass subway. What do you think of matte finish, rather than a shiny finish to provide some more textural interest?

The glass (middle row, tiles 1 and 3) is very close to the color of the paint currently on the walls and in our family room the rest of the house.

Too little contrast? Too monochromatic? Other ideas? HelP!!

Comments (6)

• brickton
    14 years ago

Wow. Can I just say wow one more time at your granite? It's crazy. Can you please share it's name and source? It reminds me of a painting, really... great.

Anyway, for the backsplash I think you want to not distract from your granite. White subway might be just fine because it is so mono-chromatic and not terribly eye-catching. I think that I would avoid the tile that matches the wall color, just because it be odd to get a 'near-miss' in terms of color and texture. The white glass in matte or shiny though might be an alternative to the subway. Either way I would suggest getting samples and putting them up on your walls, I know it's changed a lot of peoples minds about their backsplash.

And one more time about the granite: wow.

• tamdave123
    14 years ago

Gorgeous granite! I agree with brickton in that the color backsplash you're considering is too much of a near miss. If you want added interest, maybe intersperse a bit of the dark (gray or black) color from your granite in a white backsplash?

• azmelt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the backsplash feedback and for the granite comments. The name is Kodiak (sometimes called Splendor) and we got it at Bedrosians, which, I believe is a national chain.
    I'm off to the tile store for more samples.

• David
    14 years ago

I was initially looking for a glass back splash, but ended up with porcelanosa tile

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Actually, I think the "storm" brown tile would look great with it. You have natural light from that window over the sink (and in general), plus the light cabinets and a lot of light in the counters, so I think a dark backsplash would be fine! I think the matte subway would be perfect.

Many of us need a light backsplash to deal with lighting issues, but this doesn't seem to be the case for you. So I say...go for it!

• petra66_gw
    14 years ago

I too like the Storm brown tile, though not the matte one. For me glass is sparkly, not matte.

Good luck, Petra

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner