Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pandaroux

Which doors to install?

Jen K.
11 years ago

I know this isn't a kitchen question, but I've noticed that the Kitchen forum posters are opinionated (in a good way) and I need a second opinion! My bedroom closet has a swing-out door and I'm looking to replace it with either a bifold door (hinged on right) or two "cafe" style doors (so hinged on both sides) to reduce the door clearance as my bedroom is narrow and the existing door swings into a side table. The opening is 28"W x 95"H. Given the narrow width, the bifold makes more sense to me as you only have to open one door, versus two 14" narrow cafe doors. The opening is also taller than normal at 95", which may make the 14" width even more ridiculous? Cost is not so much an issue, cafe doors are $80 more, but the contractor is covering the materials cost. Contractor says he can install either in the existing metal door frame. One plus of the cafe doors is that the existing latch hole will not look perfect after it's filled in, but it will be mostly hidden by the left-hinged cafe door (the bifold will be right-hinged). Any thoughts on practicality or design? Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus