Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

3 Weeks demo to DONE: Reveal!!!

rebeccamomof123
11 years ago

It took me awhile to get these up although the kitchen has been done for a few weeks now. I was waiting for a few finishing touches but I'm WAY too excited to share the results so although it's not staged "perfectly" here is my NEW KITCHEN!!! I've waited 10 years for this kitchen. Please pardon the multiple comments for photos - I can't access photo bucket form work and it's the only way to share multiple photos:

Happy to share details - just ask!

But, to appreciate the after - first you have to see the before... (this was taken right before demo day after we let the kids go crazy with markers on everything)

Comments (96)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Rebecca, according to my appliance guy, the constituents of stainless can vary. I've had magnets on my fridge for a year and no scratches. I do keep them on the upper section so my cats don't try to drag them around. When I remove them, it looks like an etch or oil spot, but they disappear when I clean the surface. I just prefer a personal photo or some artwork on my fridge.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow- that must be a new record! Congratulations - It looks spectacular - love your counter top!

Maybe I missed it - are you planning to put a seat on your bench - love ours!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

This is one of those rare times that you can probably increase the value of the house more than what you actually spent. And nothing looks "rushed" about it given that you finished in three weeks.
    Casey

• smaloney
    11 years ago

Wow, this is so fantastic. I've watched all your posts and I can't believe you're already done. It must be wonderful feeling. It all looks beautiful - congratulations!!

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Wow! Totally amazing that you pulled that off in such a short time. Congrats on your quick decision making and organization. What a feat! It is beautiful.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! You did an excellent job with finishes. The backsplash tile is the perfect choice. I am envious of the window seat. I did not think of adding one in our build and it is a regret. Yours and LittleFishies are spectacular!

Enjoy the new kitchen with your family.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Beautifully done. I can see why your built in bench will be a favorite Sunday morning spot. I am looking forward to pictures of your cushion.

What color are your cabinets, as I see they are different from the wall color? I love the color of your cabinets.

Many joyful years in your new kitchen!

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

I think your kitchen looks really lovely! Great job.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Cabinets are painted Dove White on maple. Walls are Solitude, Benjamin Moore. Yes, the seat cusion and pillows are going to be the focal point, for sure! I'll be sure to post pictures when it's complete!

• Maria33904
    11 years ago

It looks absolutely wonderful! Congratulations! You've done a great job. Enjoy!

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

gorgeous!

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Such a pretty kitchen! Love the granite/backsplash. Can't wait to see the bench all dressed up.
    How did you get it finished in just three weeks?!?!?!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Great job! So beautiful and refined! Love the soon-to-be-cozy bench! Great to hear it's possible to get such a project done in3 weeks! Enjoy!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

you have a lovely kitchen and so impressive that you did it all only in 3 weeks! congrats!

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

3 weeks?? Incredible! And beautiful!

• deedles
    11 years ago

That's an amazing transformation! Very elegant. Nicely done and it looks like you have a lot of great prep space to the left of your sink, too. Just beautiful... enjoy!

Say, how wide is that pot and pan drawer that you showed in the last pic? Love a peek in your pantry and other drawers, esp if you have some organizing stuff, too. If you decide to show drawers, would you be so kind as to mention the widths and depths, too? Thanks!

• smiling
    11 years ago

Rebeccamom123, So many of us are just agog at your three week project, I wonder if you can share some guidance and advice how you did that so well. Please!

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello all - stay tuned for a week-by-week detail of how this was all accomplished. I'll be back at you with more pics in inside the pantry and drawers with dimensions also.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay - here is how it was accomplished in three weeks:

In December I started meeting with kitchen designers. I met with three and gave them each the same criteria. I wanted a white kitchen. I wanted a penninusla to seat all three kids because I knew my space was too narrow for an island, I wanted a window seat and I wanted my appliances to make the "triangle" that every good kitchen should have. All the designs were relatively similar. I reserached cabinets until I was sick from cabinet info overload. I looked into RTAs, locally made custom and the big box stores. I also knew I wanted to use a GC for the install. We contracted with our GC on 2/11. Based on the customization options and price point I decided on Home Depot's KraftMaid in Dove with with the Thornton Door. Cabinet order was placed the same week we signed the GCs contract.

GC started demo on 2/25 - in the first week, they demoed the entire kitchen, built a temporary support wall to take down the two main load bearing walls and moved all plumbing pipes (including our main stack and we are septic so that was a BIG deal). Week two was focused on getting all the electrical set up, getting the town inspectors in to approve the new structure (must be approved prior to closing walls) and dry wall ing it back up and new floors were laid. Week thee was plaster, paint, cabinet install, granite (granite install took under an hour!) lighting cans installed, appliances intalled and floors received 2 final coats of poly. The only thing that spilled into week 4 was teh backplash and that was only because the original delivery damaged the tiles.

The secret was having everything well in advnace so the contractors were never waiting on us for anything. Our appliances were delivered early and stored in the garage until intall, all my cabinet hardware and lighting I ordered online and had in the basement ready to go. Paint colors had all been chosen, etc.

Our GC worked with a "helper" and they both showed up and started work by 7 AM every morning. Nothing took more than a day - plastering took a day - floors took a day, They never skipped a day. Not a minute was wasted. While they waited for the plasterer they were working in the basement installing lolly columns for added support. While they waited for the floors to be installed and dry they were re-siding the exterior of the house where we moved a door and took out a bay window.

My advice is to not let a minute go to waste. You pay for their time and if the project drags on so will your budget.

The funniest part is - we just got an estimate back from the third GC we interviewed - and the proeject was already done!!!

• homebuyer23
    11 years ago

Great Job! I feel like I JUST saw you posting the sketches of your layout on here! Oh how far far behind I am:(

Your granite is Beautiful! The whole space looks amazing, you did an awesome job!
    Cant wait to see inside the pantry!

• mary9915
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your beautiful new kitchen!!

We have the same range. We finished our kitchen last year and I've been cooking on it for a year and LOVE IT! I love having gas top and electric bottom and I love having the smaller oven on top. I hope you'll love yours as much as we love ours!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous. I love all the new space and how well it all flows. I love the fixture over the sink too. Did you say where you got it? I missed it if you did. You are super organized. I bet the GC and subs tell everyone how easy you made it for them.

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Awesome! Question: What's the width of the aisle between the bench and peninsula? Looks like there's plenty of room to have someone on the bench seat and on a bar stool at the same time.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay - bear with me while I add lots new comments with each picture - but I've gotten so many great quesitons.

First - here is the pantry. IT's got 4 really deep,delux rollouts on bottom and two large, stationary shelves up top,. Measurements are 36 inches wide, 25 inches deep and 84 inches tall.

The real magic is that we have a 3 inch support column that was biult in to the left hand side - you will see where the contractor built it in and boxed it in so it would be out of sight.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the lower corner cabinet that instead of a lazy susan we have a pull out shelf that swings open and behind it is two roll-outs...

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here are the drawers behind that...

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spice rack that Iwill use for my cooking sprays, oils, spices, etc. It's 9 inches wide.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spice rack that Iwill use for my cooking sprays, oils, spices, etc. It's 9 inches wide.

{{!gwi}}

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Double slide out cutlery...

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Liquor cabinet under back hutch by window seat. 36" wide.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trash/recycle

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trash/recycle

{{!gwi}}

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

drawers under window seat - 30 incehs wide - 12 inches deep and 15 inches long...

• KBSpider
    11 years ago

Your kitchen turned out awesome! And thank you for the details on how you got it done so quickly. I'm wanting to do mine within a quick timeframe, but wasn't sure it was realistic. Since I've been spending over a year already just figuring out what the heck I want - which will tell me how much moolah I need - I'm hopeful that I could get it done quickly, too!

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy that great space!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Thanks for the peek inside with sizes... I missed if you said how wide the pot/pan drawer was, though? I like that silverware drawer insert... that makes sense.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Absolutely lovely! It looks amazing. I especially love your beautiful counters. Congrats on your gorgeous new kitchen.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, those are amazing results plus incredible on time.

Love the granite, BS, and the sink light.

• smiling
    11 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to type out that helpful explanation of how it all happened in only three weeks. It sounds so very well organized, getting cab install and granite in the same week! Bravo, it is all beautiful and looks so funtional. I'll be checking back on the window cushions, they're going to be sweet icing on this great kitchen.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deedles - sorry if I forgot that pot and pan drawer for you. It's 30 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 20 inches long (back to front). It's PLENTY big to hold my large soup/stew pot and all my every pots and pans. The drawer above it is identical inside and holds all my tupperware.

Also, for Mizinformation's question about space between window seat and penninsula - it's 58 inches - plenty of room to pull chairs out or have people seated at the penninsula and window seating at the same time.

• akl_vdb
    11 years ago

Wow, beautiful!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Wonderful job. I, too, am gobsmacked by the 3-wk timeline, especially now that I know that you had to move load-bearing walls, plumbing, and windows. Wow, just wow.

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

wonderful! Can I ask what your costs for the cabinets were?

• bcafe
    11 years ago

Wow, it took 4 weeks for my cabinets to arrive from the factory!

• cathy725
    10 years ago

You have a gem of a GC. To be able to do everything in that timeframe is pretty amazing. I'm hoping to have a "fairly" quick renovation. My GC wanted everything in hand before starting, so that definitely will help.

Only thing left to figure out is my under cabinet lighting.

Congrats again on a beautiful transformation!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Just lovely! The light fixture is gorgeous, and I love the BS with your pretty granite. Great job. Congratulations!

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all!

As for the question by scrappy 25 - my cabinet spend was 12K. I went with KraftMaid via Home Depot, in their Thornton shaker door style in painted Dove White. I upgraded all roll-outs to deluxe, to accommodate more weight and a higher back. Everything is soft close, which was included in the cost. I ordered during a promotion that they were running where the more you spend the more you save, so we received like 5K in deductions based on what we spent.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

What is the depth of your counter seating area. I'm trying to decide if I can have seating with a smaller than 12" depth on countertop edge. I don't have enough room for that, but I was thinking that if I did 6" I could still have decent seating area.

I'm contemplating getting a pub-height kitchen table, which would allow me to use the same chairs to pull up to the peninsula if we wanted. We wouldn't keep the chairs there all the time (just not enough room) but I would like the option to sit/eat at the counter for breakfast or visiting while someone is working in the kitchen.

• jaynees
    10 years ago

THREE WEEKS is all it took for that gorgeous transformation? I'm impressed! Love the granite and backsplash choices. Looks like a great use of space and I really like your sink light!!

Well done!!!

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Cathy,

Do you mean the depth of thecounter overhang? It's a tad over 12 inches overhang on the granite of the peninsula. Some people even do 15 inches but 12 offered us plenty of knee room even for my 6'2 DH. I think 6 inches is too shallow to sit comfortably and eat unless you swing your legs to the side - otherwise, your knees will be bumping into the back of the counter. Also, my peninsula is counter height. Most pub tables are bar height which is several inches higher. Using the stools interchangeably won't work, sorry to say - unless you do a bump-up from your counter which I chose not to do. I was afraid the chairs would be too high and unsafe for my kiddos.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

Ahh, good point on the pub height table. I saw one in someone's house and it was counter height. I would probably have it made, so I can specify height.