Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
front_gw

Final opinions on my corners

front
10 years ago

I've made a lot of changes to my original floorplan through the help of board members. A lot of you suggested I change my corners.

I've received comments that I should make an access port on the opposite sides to avoid dead space. To the left of the space, I could add a small shelf or hidden safe. It would be accessed through the walk in closet. If I did do that, I don't think it would be of much use to me.

I could do an access on the peninsula side. Someone suggested that I could put table cloths, etc. in there. I would have to do some custom cabinetry to accomplish this. I want to keep an angle edge to increase the walking room around that corner.

Currently, I have designed in a 33x33 easy reach corner to the left (for small appliances, large bottles (I purchase a lot of warehouse size things like olive oil, cooking oil, vinegar). To the right, I have a 36x36 supersusan for pots and pans.

I think I want to keep the one on the right. I think it will be very useful. To the left, I'm kind of divided. I have all drawers, so I'm not sure where I would put some of the larger bottles. Nevertheless, I could go with a blind corner or dead space. This would increase the adjacent cabinets by only 6". I would go from a 12" and 15" to a 18" next to the fridge and a 21" next to the range.

Do you think it is worth it for the increased size drawers? Where can I put tall items with an all drawer setup? My wall cabinets are going to be used as a pantry.

Comments (5)

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

You don't have to do 'all drawers'. In a space like this (not a huge one) you need to plan for your items. I killed one of my two corners so I could have a space for my pans/cutting boards. It also has a couple serving dishes on the shelf, and a drawer with oven mits/spatulas/measuring cups:

And on the other side of the stove I have another 'not drawer' that holds my large oils/vinegars/salt/etc. I think the KD had to 'hack' this one a bit...ordered a cab with one roll out shelf, then an extra drawer box that he had contractor attach to the cab door. The rollout shelf hold mixing bowls and trivets. The drawer holds all my knives, a few larger spices and a can opener.

So I have lots of stuff in those 'not drawers' that would not have fit into drawers. And FYI - the pullout cab is a 15" and the cutting board cab is 18" so you can fit a lot into the two cabs you are thinking about.

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to take a detailed inventory on Monday. I just need some ideas. I'm not sure that creating a dead space is worth it for the extra 6inches on both sides.

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to take a detailed inventory on Monday. I just need some ideas. I'm not sure that creating a dead space is worth it for the extra 6inches on both sides.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think it's a question of how you are going to fill a 12" drawer base, a 15" drawer base, and now what looks to be another 12" cabinet in the peninsula. (What is that?)

My advice is don't do any 12" drawers. If you keep the corner cabinet, make that 12" 4-drawer cabinet near the fridge a drawer and door cabinet, like what Kathy has in her first pic, and save yourself some money on expensive drawer glides. Price that cabinet out separately to convince yourself that that will be an expensive piece of real estate to hold about a dozen items.

You should also read this thread. Maybe the Costco Corner is the solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: corner thread

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 12in in the peninsula is a pullout pantry for cooking sauces, etc. I'm at 15k installed right now. This is with 36" cabinets, a range hood front ($752), sink base with legs (the legs are $250 each), paneling on the back side of the peninsula that matches my cabinets. It's crazy how much a small kitchen costs. I contacted a custom cabinet shop in my area. I asked them how their price compares to semi-custom homes. I may have them do a layout for me.

I would have to use the gift cards I have for the granite, french door, and possibly future renovations. At times I think it may be better to just sell my house and buy a new one.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!