Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The hot new thing in NC -- Pyrolave volvic stone countertops

Posted by MizLizzie (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 10:52

This is a French company, I believe, but their US subsidiary is here. Gorgeous stuff. Houzz link below. Has anyone ever heard of it? I had not. This picture looks modern, but it can go traditional as well. Some of the blues are breathtaking. Cobalt. Turquoise . . . sigh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyrolave Pictures from Houzz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The hot new thing in NC -- Pyrolave volvic stone countertops

Hi MizLizzie -- Yes, I looked at it a few years ago when renovating my kitchen. I agree that it is stunning. It seemed to me at the time that it was the perfect countertop -- the range of colors are beautiful.The company who imports it from France was very helpful. Alas, in the end it was way too expensive for my budget. If I dig through my papers I can probably find the estimate.

o

It's way too expensive to really be the hot new thing anywhere. Though it is beautiful.

o

ITA, francoise47. Stunning is the word. Eventually the price will come down (perhaps) and it will be more affordable. It has the luminosity and clarity I'd hoped recycled glass would have like when I first heard of it. Alas, not.

In any case, I don't dare price it. We are settled on our Cambria Shirebrook and have planned everything around it.

o

Think about 4-5x the price of your Cambria for pricing. Plus shipping from France. It's been out now for about 15 years, and no one else that I'm aware of has stepped up to be a competitor because it's just so expensive to produce that they're not likely to recoup their investment for such a limited market.

o

Kohler has a volcanic vanity top for one of there sinks.

I did one when they first came out and it had to be done three times because it kept getting damaged in shipping. GD is right, it's not "catching on" - it is simply another choice albeit for those that what something you don't have.

Nothing else even comes close in terms of look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here