Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baligirl_gw

How is remodeling a kitchen like having a baby?

baligirl
13 years ago

The analogy of kitchen remodeling feeling like having a baby came up in another thread and I thought it would be fun to let all of you creative people chime in, so...

How is remodeling a kitchen like having a baby?

Here's my answer: it can take several years longer than you want to conceive, then 9 months of planning while it incubates. This is followed by a period of strenuous activity that feels like it lasts for years even though it isn't actually that long, followed by several months of haziness when you can't believe you actually produced that wonderful thing.

How else?

Comments (35)

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

Painkillers help. :)

• megradek
    13 years ago

weight gain ;)

• funfarm
    13 years ago

From a Father/Husband point of view, I'll tell you how I think it's similar.
    The more research you do, the more confused you become. For every helpful piece of advice and expert opinion there is an equal and opposite viewpoint. As parents, you go through a similar experience when trying to address issues like... how long to let a baby cry when you put them down to bed, how long MUST a mother nurse the new baby, what do you do for colic, etc, etc. There are innumerable web-sites and forums that are invaluable for the amount of help they provide and I recommend that people use them as a resource, but everyone has different tastes, expectations, values and experiences (oh yeah, and BUDGETS!). You finally have to just make a decision on what you're going to do and how you're going to do it and keep moving forward. I still torture myself by searching on topics that concern things that I am no longer in a position to change (e.g. appliance selection, cabinet layout, etc.).

Cheers, Dean

• rhome410
    13 years ago

How about soon after it's 'born' you forget about all the pain and discomfort and consider making another?
    :-)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

it requires labor [pun intended]... and money ... and a hope for the future

• carybk
    13 years ago

You lose your ability to converse on other topics and bore your friends and family.

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

Initial elation and excitement. Having fun planning as the "project" begins to take shape. Really uncomfortable towards the end. Anxious, impatient too at this point. Which is where I am at now. Both my babies were weeks early, this project is overdue.

• fromthesouth
    13 years ago

I tell my friends, "You're having a baby. I'm having a kitchen." I now have data to support my assertion. I love this site.

• nini804
    13 years ago

Cracking up at "you lose your ability to converse on other topics and bore your friends and family." So true!! Thank goodness for this forum...I can talk about my kitchen to my hearts content and no one rolls their eyes at me! (that I know of!) :)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Rhome had my idea!!! Those great minds again....
    while you're going through it you swear you'll never do it again. As soon as you see it, you can't wait imagining what it'll be like next time.

• houseful
    13 years ago

These are great comparison; they gave me a good chuckle!

However, just for contrast, you get to drink all you want when remodeling!!

Also, I never screamed at my husband while I was in labor.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

LOL to Rhome and Waterdamage!

I'll add that the incubation period can make you vomit.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Two words sum it up for me:
    sleep deprivation

If I were to expand on that I'd add in the not caring what you look like while in labor and being in a need of a shower much of the time. And ponytails.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Yeah, well, so far my reno experience has been a little different.

I'd say, you plan, prepare, and try to do everything right. Then when the time comes, you still **** the bed while your whole family is watching.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

You let your kids watch more movies than you normally would.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

"They say it only takes 9 months", but we all know better on both accounts. Although my kitchen reno is more like an elephant's pregnancy....2 years?

AND most if not all of us think about "resale" at some point. That might be like the name we choose to give the baby....will it be "dated" in 10 years, or will it be timeless.

and as Rhome said, obviously the pain, but miraculously you DO forget it and want to do it again.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

for me - by the time you realized just what you've got yourself into, it's way too late to turn back!

• grneyesct
    13 years ago

LOL and more LOLing as I read these..

I would say that you spend months imagining and dreaming what it's going to look like when it's all done, flipping through magazines, books, researching etc....then about 8 1/2 months in..

You dont care what it's going to look like!! You just want it over with!!
    ~ D ~

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

The detrimental effect on your bank account.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

You guys are hysterical.

Like children, does it all turn out in the end that they're just perfect regardless? (sort of)

I think the greatest shame of my whole entire life was wishing I could have opposite-gendered children. I can't stop shaking my head at the idiocy of this. Quite obviously your entire life simply molds around what you have; there is no other way.

I'm guessing that all this whinging and worrying and whining and measuring and on and on and on will recede to complete inconsequentiality right quick upon completion.

Anyone know if that happens to be true?

As noted above, can't turn back. Painkillers help. Nausea is overwhelming. Bank acct is depleted... tell me there will be joy and bliss at the other end. Will I get to sleep when the baby sleeps? Will I have to cook only organic food for it? Oh what a joy that will be! The bad food we've been subsisting on in the interim is enough to strain a lifetime's worth of organic-food-banking.

• doc8404
    13 years ago

Remodeling is just like childbirth !!

Beautiful, but not pretty.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

But do you sneak in, in the middle of the night, just to watch it?

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Having a baby is WAAAAY simpler.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

From the moment of conception money oozes out if your wallet.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

You sometimes take drugs that make you lose your inhibitions, you curse at complete strangers and you sometimes lose control of your bowels and bladder?

• statgeek
    13 years ago

DH and I rarely felt the same way about it at the same time.

• pricepal
    13 years ago

A few months of worry and discomfort, then a short amount of pain, then absolute joy and tears when the finished product arrives!

Much easier cleaning up a kitchen though:)

• melissastar
    13 years ago

because the conception is all fun and the delivery is a pain. If only they had an epidural for the remodeling version.

• NYSteve
    13 years ago

There is one big difference, though, depending on your vendors and suppliers.

A number of kitchen remodels *end* with someone getting screwed.

• morgne
    13 years ago

My not so official job title is Remodel Doula.

• regina_phalange
    13 years ago

I always thought my bathroom remodel was more like having a baby than my kitchen remodel...but maybe that's because I gave birth in the tub ;).

• alku05
    13 years ago

Just when you think you can't take the discomfort anymore, it gets much worse before it's done. And then you promptly forget how bad it was and simply enjoy before starting on the next.

Can you tell I'm 8 months preggo with my second child? And that we're trying to survive a 1600 sqft addition remodel? No kitchen, but 3 bathrooms are making me reminiscent...

• baligirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These were fantastic and just the laughs I needed to put the project into perspective. Thanks everyone! ;)

• tress21
    13 years ago

And of course...

You spend an inordinate amount of time researching online. Then, feeling rather overwhelmed by the entire process, you join an online forum for advice and moral support.

• leela4
    13 years ago

Also-pictures,pictures, pictures!! Although, I must say that I certainly took WAY more pictures of both the kitchen and the first grandchild (who is 8 today!!!) than we did of the first child because who has TIME??!! (with a newborn; pre- digital, of course)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH