Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marg2_gw

Backsplash tile -- how to shop; where to buy

Marg2
13 years ago

We've made the big decisions (appliances, cabinets, and countertop, and we're close to choosing the flooring), and now we need to start arguing about -- um, discussing -- backsplash tile. I have some random pictures from the Web and from magazines for inspiration, but I'd like to bring a cabinet and countertop sample to a few tile places and get a sense of how everything would look together. Is this a reasonable way to proceed? Any suggestions? And, for those of you in the NY/Long Island area, any recommendations of places to look? We're a few blocks away from a ParmaTile, but I haven't felt inspired by them in the past.

Comments (5)

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

We got our backsplash tile at the same place we got the granite, Fordham Marble. They have locations in the Bronx and CT. We wanted to be able to easily match up door, paint and tile samples with the granite. Our needs were simple...3x6 subway in something that was sorta beige/biscuit and interesting at the same time. The DW wanted a beige that had some color variations. We had no idea that what we needed was beige that was light on the pinkish elements and had more gray but they found something for us. We really liked working with the people in the Stamford, CT office both for the tile and the granite.

• sas95
    13 years ago

We got our backsplash tile at Walker Zanger in Mount Vernon. (They have a store in the city, but the service was atrocious there, as opposed to Mount Vernon, where it was excellent). We picked the backsplash before we picked the cabinets. Since I wanted 2 color painted cabinets, I thought it would be easier to find the tile I liked first and then get the exact shades of cabinet I wanted based on the tile. But for our bath I did the opposite and brought in samples of the vanity wood and flooring, and we chose our vanity backsplash tile from there. So I think it could work fine either way.

Anyway, the people at Walker Zanger were really helpful and showed me a lot of good options that I wouldn't otherwise have considered.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I would reccomend Greenwich Tile. William was the only one who was able to solve my problem of how to tie the kitchen and the granite together. He gave me one choice! We looked at Rye Ridge Tile in Port Chester, I went to Mount Kisco, on and on. This tile search became a second job! I even had a KD look at my kitchen. When I went back to Greenwich, and asked about other possibilties, he flat out said "No" to all of them. He was right.
    You are on the right track with bringing everything with you. Then, bring the sample boards home. The boards give you a better idea than just a few tiles. Lighting can change everything.

• Maureen Dimitri
    13 years ago

Marg2-

I have not even ordered cabinets let alone bs, but some friends of mine have used Cancos (multiple locations) or Old Country Tile (Westbury and Pt. Jeff). I also found a store in Woodbury....Fancy Fixtures that has a lot of higher end tiles if that is what you are interested in. Good luck

Maureen

• empratt1_myfairpoint_net
    12 years ago

I found beautiful, one-of-a-kind, handmade, ceramic backsplash tile online at www.unaluntile.com. This tile is all handmade, sgraffito-carved and glazed in rich colors. The staff at Natalie Blake Studios was great to work with. I had never seen the product and they sent me samples. They designed exactly what I wanted and kept me apprised of the tile-making process. I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: unalun tile