Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjoleigh

URGENT!! Need backsplash help!!!

jjoleigh
10 years ago

Hi this is my first time to this forum. You all have such beautiful kitchens. They look like kitchens from home magazines!! Ok well I was installing my own backsplash and wanted to rent my townhome. The problem is I did everything wrong in installing it. Now I have big gaps next to the countertop. I wanted to completely start over. However, is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this travesty? Is there some type of trim that's inexpensive? I have already priced the amount of trim I will need and it's more expensive than the the new tile. There is a space to the right of the upper cabinet so I have to trim that as well. I have not grouted yet.

Comments (11)

• jjoleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the new tile. I can get it at a huge discount, BUT...does this tile go with my countertop?

• jjoleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my photoshop real quick tile job to see if it would kind of go in the space. I did it in 5 minutes so it's not lined up or anything. I could get it lined up perfectly so it looks like the exact tile, but I think you can get an overall feel...I hope :(

Does this tile look ok in this space?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Sounds like you are not skilled enough to put in backsplash tile. Even if you take out whats there, are you going to install the new tile? The same issues may happen again. Can you hire a pro?

The tile you are thinking of replacing it with is not expensive to begin with. Don't make decisions on price when you may be only saving a few dollars. Both tiles are busy, is that what looks best for this kitchen?

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 11:28

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

you should cut slivers of the tile to fill in the gap, I think. not ideal, but better than a gap, and much better than starting again.

what you installed looks good so far, did you grout yet?

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

I think the tile you have now is better than the possible new tile. The new tile color doesn't really go with the counter, plus you could run into the same issues of not all the edges lining up perfectly and having gaps anyway. Grouting with a darker color would certainly make the white gaps you have now less noticeable--right now the white background really stands out against the dark mosaic. Before you go to the expense and trouble of pulling down the tile and trying to re-do, maybe see how noticeable the gaps are if you darken those spots first.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Some of the areas that may be too small for slivers of tiles you could fill in with Grout Colorant.
    Edit: I also prefer the tile you've already installed.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 13:14

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I personally prefer the current tile over the new tile. I'd also suggest darker grout and caulk if slivers of tiles don't work. Or can you slightly pull your counter forward and tile behind it?

Here is a link that might be useful: filling gaps with caulk

• dretutz
    10 years ago

The current tile is better. Agree that you should fill the gaps with colored grout.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

just grout it and the grout will work wonders especially if you use a darker grout. It won't even matter at all. Grout covers a multitude of sins.

• speaktodeek
    10 years ago

How about: Hire a tile pro for one day to finish it out. This is a very pretty combination you have chosen and I think you would be pleased to have the pro finish job. Even if you only hire for a day or half day just to cut your tiles for you, you can then do the placing and grouting if need be.

• jjoleigh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. great advice. Thanks for all of your help. So funny. My sister likes the new tile. I was finding it hard to find a professional that wanted to bother even tackling the job. But I think I will get the darker grout and finish with a professional (if I can find one that will do it) - even though I did figure out what my mistakes were ;) I had to do the same thing in my bathroom. I started putting up beadboard but had to get a professional to do the trim