Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surveymom

Asterix granite - anyone have it, considered it?

surveymom
15 years ago

I went granite window shopping last weekend and saw a granite that made me want to change all my ideas about what I wanted. VERY stunning. It was called Asterix. The slab was mostly black with lots of gray, brown and little bit of tan swirlying through it. The stunning part was all the mica in it. It sparkled and had streaks of brilliant silver shining out and made it look very 3 dimensional. I have never seen anything like it.

When I asked about it they said 3 things.

1) Premium pricing

2) "softer" than other granites

3) some fabricators won't work with it

I heard:

1) granite crumbles when fabricating (remembering someone else's experience here last week with their slab)

2) out of my budget.

But, kinda like the bad boy boyfriend that you know you should break up with - I'm obsessing about that slab! It would be PERFECT on my island. I know it.

Anyone with experience - exactly how easy would this be to chip? Is it worth moving budget money around and re-envisioning my look (going with a dark granite rather than a light one?)

Comments (8)

• squwhat
    15 years ago

It looks really similar to what we just put into our kitchen. We also have it in a recent bath remodel. The bath has been completed since November and so far there have been no problems. However, it is a bath that does not get a lot of use (except for contractors currently). The piece in the bathroom also doesn't have as much movement as our kitchen slabs.

Our fabricator added more mesh backing to the kitchen slabs to give a little more support. He did mention that it is a softer granite. If you are the type that wants a smooth, polished countertop, this may not be the one for you. Due to all of the variations in the stone, some areas are "shiner" than others.

Since it was just installed this week, I don't have any more information for you. However, I absolutely love my granite and I am so glad that we selected it. I thought that there might be issues with the edge chipping so we went with an inverted bullnose edge.

PS the fabricator and contractor have assured me that my piece isn't going anywhere. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

asterix is NOT a granite. It is classified geoligically as a Phyllite (look it up on Wikipedia). I learned that name here.

It is a slate based material with various types of minerals and quartz in it.

It is being sold as kitchen suitable and is not. It will scratch.

Blessings

• squwhat
    15 years ago

vrjames -
    OMG I hope tht I didn't make a mistake. Guess only time will tell for me.

• surveymom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. vrjames -is it not kitchen suitable because it will scratch? Are there other properties about it that I should be concerned with? Would the wear issues be similar to what you would worry about with polished marble?

• savinmoneymom80_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I would NOT recommend this for any countertop in any part of a home. It does scratch and is not dense at all. My husband is a fabricator of stone and brought a piece home to show me how quickly it falls apart. Granted the pieces were about 5"x5" and the kitchen would be in bigger pieces..even so I was disgusted at how it fell apart. When the piece was wet (which in a kitchen will happen) some of the layers turned into wet dirt. Also on thinner pieces that chipped while cutting (about 1/4" strips) just snapped...not even a hard crack sound a dull simple snap. I was told by a vendor that you can't roll out dough on the surface because it would pick up pieces from the granite...the granite my husband fabs. is sealed twice before he receives it and he seals it a 3rd time before installation and if this is the quality of the granite no matter what...no thank you. I am going to try and push customers away from this color...would be okay is kitchen is minimal to no use but definitely not dense enough for a kitchen continually put to use.

That all being said....there is an exception to every rule so some ppl out there may have zero issue. I just know I wouldn't even mildly consider this color for any part in my home after seeing what I did.

• palmazanjr_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have it in my kitchen, bought in a Houston yard (MIDWAY), looks beautiful, was hard to work with and only problem I had was the installer (not the fabricator) damaged a small portion at the wall. Was hidden with decorative trim. Looks great and has been lived on four years. No cracks and has not been babied. Small scratches were colored with a black marker. I treat it with a duPont stone product annually. Very happy I bought it.

• neehoo_aol_com
    12 years ago

How do you all think it would hold up in a bathroom. I have a very small bathroom and considering using it for vanity top and threshhold to shower and some shelves in shower. What do you think?

• PRO
    Ontra Stone Concepts
    8 years ago

A recently installed floor-to-ceiling Asterix fireplace surround and hearth. 115" x 73".