Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eks6426

Granite countertop meeting the wall...wall not straight

eks6426
14 years ago

So, I get templated for granite tomorrow. Granite guy asked if I picked out a tile yet and I told him that I have not and in fact, I might not do tile. I just want the granite all the way to the edge of the wall.

My house is old and the walls are definitely not straight. Granite guy said this will be a big challenge when templating and that there will likely be some gaps in places...not big but bigger than he thinks looks good. Or he can push the granite into the drywall in places so it can be evened out. Or he can make a piece of quarter round to put at the back edge (hate this idea).

What do others do in this situation?

Comments (32)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I'm kind of puzzled by your granite guy. The whole reason for templating is so that the granite can be cut to fit the space. Hardly any house (even newer ones) has perfectly straight walls, and they template so they know how to scribe the granite to make it fit properly.

This sounds like prefab and don't ask for any customization, at least IMHO.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I agree with Writersblock. No walls could be more out of plumb than mine, and my granite fabricator just dealt with it, as an everday occurrence for him, certainly not a "challenge" as you/he put it. My counters have no gaps, everything looks great, and I have tile down to the countertop. Is it too late to find another fabricator?

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Ditto to what Writersblock has said...

I'd have to say that based on your description in your OP - your fabricator
    does not have the skills of a pro (or at least the template guy shows that they
    don't know how to "scribe" to a wall - and YES - it CAN be done)....

Some guys will "oversize" the piece - depth wise - and cut the drywall so the
    stone slides in UNDER the drywall that's been cut - to give that "scribed look"..

What you are asking for is NOT rocket science - insist on having them do
    what YOU want to make YOU happy. They may charge you an up-charge, but
    hey - YOU will be the one looking at your stone EVERY day you're in your
    kitchen - so get what you WANT... don't "settle" for something that's 2nd classs..

just my .02 cents worth - but this is very easily managed from a Fabrication
    standpoint, and should be done right the first time...

hth

kevin

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

I was told the same thing actually, but we are putting up tile so I am just dealing with the gap for now. The filled the gap with some kind of epoxy.

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

My fabricator told me the same, that the saw cuts in a straight line, and where the wall is not straight, I do have a small gap, but I am tiling down to the countertop. At the corner where there would have been a larger gap, they did what kevin says, they cut the drywall and slid the slab in. I didn't think it was any big deal. I would just do that if you are not sure if you are going to tile or not.

• clg7067
    14 years ago

I never heard of scribing granite. I thought they always cut back the drywall or fill the gap with epoxy.

Just think of the labor charge!

• eks6426
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmm, I'm pretty sure granite guys knows his stuff. He is considered the best in the area by many of my interior designer friends. Granite guy mentioned he will scribe, but it is hard to get it perfect when a wall has basically an S curve to it. He will try, but he's afraid there will still be a gap in some places. We'll talk more about options tomorrow. I know I don't want the quarter round type piece. I could handle sticking into the drywall if necessary.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Jesus Mary & Joseph!!!!

Holy Shnykies!!! Does this guy have half a brain or what?

OF Frickin COURSE a bridge saw is going to cut in straight line...

Scribing is what we PROFESSIONALS use a 4" grinder for.... sounds
    like you are doing business with "Putz & Son Granite *& Marble" or
    maybe more like "QUANTITY Stone".... this guy CAN'T HAVE been doing Fabricating
    very long - I mean - C'MON MAN!!! GET A CLUE!!!!

Maybe he needs to come to my school so I can teach him how to do things right....

TO me - your fabricator sounds more like a whinner-baby... like I said
    before - REAL Fabricators can do the "scribe: to an "S" wall - sure it's
    not the most fun thing to do, but with a good template and experience -
    this can be done all day long and twice on Sundays.......

sorry for going off - but this guy masquerading as a "fabricator" slays me!

kevin

• davidro1
    14 years ago

To oversize the depth a tad, and cut drywall so it slides in under the drywall that's been cut. is....
    It's one straight cut.
    Why is it second class to do this? What part is bad about this?

• dcwesley
    14 years ago

Well - I sholuld have read this about 3 weeks ago. Our granite is being installed as we speak. Our walls were not straight eithr of course. And we have not decided what to do about a backsplash. Maybe tile. Maybe nothing. So he cut back into the drywall in a couple of spots and made the gap less. Can't really tell you how it looks yet. They are still here - getting ready to cut the cooktop and faucet holes.

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

wow...

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

I would not accept them cutting into my drywall. My walls are definitely not straight and my granite was nicely scribed to fit. Good luck!

• morgne
    14 years ago

For what this is worth (and I'm kinda assuming very little...) My husband and I fabricated soapstone counters ourselves out of full size slabs. He did the templating while I fussed at him and it didn't occur to us that there was an option to scribing the wall.

I know soapstone isn't granite but our slabs follow the wall exactly.

• mimitche
    14 years ago

I just had granite installed and my kitchen had very uneven walls- almost s curves in spots. We did not do a granite backsplash; our backsplash will be all tile so it was important that there was a tight fit between the back of the granite and the wall.

Our fabricator notched out the drywall where needed to ensure that the granite had a consistent and tight fit to the wall. It looks great- I'm not sure why this would be considered 2nd class.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

kevin... don't CNC machines solve this problem?

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Remodelfla -

Yes, a CNC machine - IF properly utilized - CAN cut a contour to a wall - but
    only IF a physical template is brought in and "digitized" into the CNC program -
    OR - a digital template system is used to make a "tracing" of the wall contour,
    and then THAT dxf file if imported into the CNC "make" program....

IMHO - If a guy just makes a statement like "the piece can only be made
    straight" - he's not really got a lot of smarts - or experience - or both.....

hth

kevin

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

I am a fabricator:

uneven walls are an every day occurrence. when there is granite backsplash there is some wiggle room although really crooked walls can also present challenges for making the splash look good.

scribing the sheetrock is a very acceptable practice.

a detailed manual template or, better yet, an electronic template made with one of the digital templating systems, can allow the fabricator to cut the stone to match the curve(s) in the wall. this "crooked" cut can be done on either a waterjet machine or after sawing on the CNC.

there is one instance where simply matching the wall is not a good option. We have done some homes where the full height splash was embossed sheet metal (copper or stainless)

in these instances it is important to have the "waves" in the wall fixed by "floating" the sheetrock as the waves become very apparent with the highly reflective sheet metal backsplash.

when we measure our measure guys put long straight edges on the wall to show the customer how straight (or not) the wall is so options for dealing with it can be discussed prior to fabrication.

• April Myers
    6 years ago

Help! How am I supposed to tile over this gap?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Build your wall out.

• suzanne_sl
    6 years ago

Post that photo on your fabricator's Yahoo comments. No excuse, just none.

• barnaclebob
    6 years ago

What is the lateral gap from the wall to the counter?

The drywall being cut too high can easily be fixed with some wood strips.

That is sloppy work though. No need to cut the drywall out that much more than the height of the counters.

• Countertop Guy
    6 years ago

Cutting walls and leaving gaps in areas where there will be a backsplash it's perfectly fine.

I see many homeowners posting their opinions and their experiences, but I don't see many counter top professionals or technicians giving their two cents here. I have worked in the countertop in the street for more than 12 years and I have found that there are many different kinds of countertop fabricators and absolutely none of them are looking to do a sloppy job in your house. Nobody makes money out of going back to the same house several times. You have your small shops that will make one kitchen a week, you have your medium size shops that will make one kitchen a day, and then you have your super shops that will fabricate more than 10 kitchen daily. Every template guy will do their job in a different way. Ultimately what all of them want to accomplish is to make a countertop that will look beautiful once the whole project is finished. In most cases the countertop is not the final step on a remodel project. Most of the time there will be tile sitting on top of the granite, and when that is the case you can have gaps up to a 1/16" smaller than the thickness of the tile (1/4"). And if the wall bumps out in certain areas The wall can be cut with a blade or a Dremel tool and the granite slides under this cut. Once the tile sits on top of the granite it completely covers the gaps and the cuts. This does not compromise the integrity of the wall at all. Sheet rock is hanging from the studs and it is not holding the house together. If you have plaster walls then you might be charged extra for the labor needed to have the granite fitted to the shape of the wall.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Hacking walls to fit countertops is hillbilly and should only be done as a last resort, not as a general practice.

• granite guru
    6 years ago
    If we hack a wall some one on measures is getting their hand slapped, then the installer that cut the drywall. You can’t charge a fee for templating and then go and cut walls.
    If I were the home owner I would be asking for the cost of templating back.
  • Liz H
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

While notching into the drywall may not structurally damage the wall, and it sounds like it is common practice for many installers it is not without consequences. If the house is an older home where housewrap and tighter building envelope practices were not incorporated the interior drywall is the best line of defense against air drafts and pests entering the house. Given that it’s a kitchen we are talking about and so there will Be scents attracting pests I’d prefer to have my drywall intact vs a long linear gap. The backsplash will seal the top side of the countertop gap, but there is no way to seal the gap below the countertop as the cabinet is in the way. It would be my preference to scribe as necessary and have a continuous drywall barrier.

• PRO
    Blue Gorilla Tradesman
    6 years ago
    Hi

Searching for 3rd party input

What is the standard warranty with Fabricators regarding their stock stones and outside wholesaler stones to residential and commercial clients ? One year labor/ installation is a standard but I understand ; a good business that backs their work and materials Have stone warranties ... please advise
  • Robert Marshall
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We had granite countertops installed recently. The overhang on one end gradually increases up to about a 3/4" (The countertop is shaped like a "U" and the increase starts about 2.5 feet from the end on one of the U ends, if that makes sense)). The end with the larger overhang is very noticeable. The fabricator said it is because the wall was uneven on that one side (he took measurements and made a template) and basically the problem was unavoidable. Any thoughts on this? Are we being fed a line by the fabricator? I haven't paid him yet.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Robert:

Uneven overhangs can be the fault of the cabinet installer, but that doesn't sound like the case here. Post a dimensioned drawing please.

• Countertop Guy
    3 years ago

sometimes cabinets are not lined up straight or evenly and that will always cause an inconsistent overhang. In your case it sounds like a combination of issues.

• Robert Marshall
    3 years ago

Thank you Countertop Guy. You got me thinking. I'll go back over there and see. Thank you!

• granite guru
    3 years ago

If your saying the over hang varies by 3/4” you are Being fed b.s. They probably had problems on fabrication end ended up cheating measures. In a U shaped kitchen when you cheat one side you create problems on the other. when it comes time to split the difference on the overhang it is hard to get it even especially if you cheat a wall on a taper. Cabinets being out of plum to the wall is normal And is corrected when you scribe the wall and set your depth to the over hang. At most you will deal 1/4” tolerances.