Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Now I want to know about your pull outs

TxMarti
12 years ago

After rebuilding a cabinet (the one with the lighter stain), I have a 9" opening where there used to be an 18" opening.

So I thought it would be a great place for a spice or small jar pullout. While searching, I found that they are built several different ways, especially where the slides are placed, and how many slides are used.

The Rev a shelf pullout for this size opening uses 3 slides, one on the bottom center, and two on the bottom sides. Others have them top and bottom sides, or just sides.

How is yours built and if you did it again, would you do it any differently?

Comments (24)

• Dando
    12 years ago

I'd go with a door and slide baking sheets and similar in there.
    The thing I don't like about a LOW, pullout spice rack? So many spices, you're on your knees digging thru them trying to find what you need.
    Although, I must admit, I do like the idea of pullouts and if you're really organized....it'd work great.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that, and my knees aren't what they used to be. I was going to build a standing rack thing over the fridge for baking sheets.

This space is wide enough (I think) to make it for canned good, or canning jars maybe. I'd also thought of something for lids though I usually just turn them upside down inside the pan. But that could be because I've never had anywhere to put them.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

I have the Rev-a-Shelf pull out rack in my 9 inch cabinet. I do like it as it keeps everything nicely organized compared to the old cabinet they used to be in. However....

I have a lot of spices. There is a lot of moving things around to get what I need as it is pretty packed. I have a very small kitchen. So... If I had to do it again, I would have done spice pullouts in the upper cabinet space and kept the lower for what the previous poster said about using it for cookie sheet/baking pan or something different space. I am frequently on my knees or bending over to pull things out of there.

In my kitchen, the space above the fridge is where I have my baking racks, and being tall, they are a good spot for me to get to.

HTH

• Dando
    12 years ago

I'm just a relic. I like the spice racks on the backside of upper cabinet doors. Racks just wide enough for a spice jar/can. Head high.
    Nuttin fancy about it.

Then again...there is nothing fun or cool about it either...and there should be.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, definitely won't put a spice rack there. My goal was to make it easier to find the one I want, and right now mine are in an upper cabinet, filling three shelves of a narrow cabinet.

So any ideas for this narrow space?

Someone posted a picture of a towel rack that pulled out of a slot beside the sink. What about something like that but for table cloths? Or would that be too much wasted space? I'd be ticked if the table cloth slipped off at the back and I couldn't get to it.

• katsmah
    12 years ago

I also have the rev-a-shelf pullout. I think a spice pullout on an upper cabinet would have been easier for the small spice jars, but I didn't have room for that. The cabinet is still very useful for small items that would get lost in a pantry and mine is pretty well packed.

• User
    12 years ago

Anyone doing a reno---especially as much DIY as you are doing---NEEDS a wine cubby!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

you could put in something like this - for cookie sheets, cutting boards etc. depending on how many things like that you have, you could use one for lids.

better use of space would probably be a double decker one. you could make separate 'fronts' to them - or one front with 2nd pull out inside.

(both pics from gw posters - I think)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hadn't thought of two pull outs in that space. I like it.

I was actually coming back to this post because I've been playing with the space and what will go in it.

Once the slides are in, and drawers built, I'll have 7-1/4" space for things. 2 pint or quart mason jars will fit, and I never have enough storage for canned goods. Or I could put dividers in one or both for lids.

Dh thinks it would look better with a small drawer on top to match the drawers on either side. Wish he had mentioned that before I set it in.

On the pantry and the lower cabinet next to this opening, I am going to leave the doors that are there, with drawers behind them. I could have a door made for this opening instead of drawer fronts.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

I had a pull-out just about that size in my last kitchen and found it very handy for things somewhat larger than the usual spice jars. It had just two shelves and was near the range, so I stored things like PAM, soy sauce, various oils, sherry (to cook with) in it. They were big enough to reach easily without getting on my knees and tall and slim enough to fit easily in the pull-out.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

OH...and my two-shelved pullout was after taking space out for a drawer on top, as your hubby suggests.

• kashmi
    12 years ago

Two thoughts.

1. If you want the look of a drawer + door, but don't want the drawer, could you make a door front that just looked like it was a drawer + a door below? Like those deep drawers that sometimes look like two shallow ones, but aren't?

2. Even if you are storing trays, cookie sheets and the like elsewhere, could you still create a pull-out like Desertsteph's first picture and use it to store extra trays/cookie sheets/cooling racks on one side and on the other, narrower side, boxes of aluminum foil, plastic wrap and the like (stored on end)? All those boxes of foil, wax paper and plastic wrap seem to take up a lot of drawer space that IMHO could be put to better use.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

well, I second hollysprings' wine cubby idea :)

otherwise maybe some of your recycling (if you do) could go there in a pull out? A pull out with pegs at the ends or a frame that could hold a large tote (thinking LLBean extra large here off the top of my head...) for aluminum or other light items.

slightly OT, in your pic I see hammers, drills, clamps, and screws, all of which could fall nastily on your floor and chip or break your tile...perhaps you should be careful (or not ;) ).

HTH

• fouramblues
    12 years ago

Hmm, that's a pretty skinny spot. I'd vote for a pullout for either lids or foils, depending on what zone that space is near. Just a newbie's two cents... :)

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I think this is a rev-a-shelf. It was actually for storing pot lids, but I made changes and didn't have a use for a pot lid rack anymore.

Works great for holding my cutting/rolling boards. The rolling pins are stored in the drawer above.

and it would fit in your space too.

It does not pull out all that far, but I have no problem getting the boards in and out of it. My lefse board is along side, as it's 20" diameter and won't fit if put on the pullout as there is only about 19" headspace because the slides are on the bottom and I have the upper drawer.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Here's a pic of my 9" pull outs. They are one of my favorite features in the new kitchen.
    Full extension Blumotion, my cabinet guy made them and the shelves are all adjustable.
    I use one for baking spices, etc. and the other for cooking, seasonings, herbs etc.

I have not had to kneel to find anything.

Nancy

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

some more good ideas posted here for you.

as for the drawer vs just pull out - lots of people don't have a drawer above their trash pull out. or you could do a fake drawer front. It just depends on what would or wouldn't bother you (or dh). what might bother you (or him) might not bother someone else. maybe you could mock it up somehow and live with it a few days to see how if feels to you.

Whatever you end up with, it'll be good usable space!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, there are a lot of choices. macybaby, does yours have a secret space under it?

wizardnm, yours are great. I'd love to have one right beside the oven too. Where are the slides on yours? I see one on the left but not on the right one.

• momtofour
    12 years ago

I haven't been able to post in months, so testing this out first before I try a whole post w/pic. Here's hoping!

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

I love my pullout unit from rev-a-shelf with two wire baskets that pullout independently of each other (so I can easily the items from above). The door is attached to the lower basket, much like a trash cabinet. I am amazed at how much it holds. It is next to our range and has oils, sauces, sherry, etc like melissastar. It's not cheap, but not outrageously expensive, either. We bought the optional door mount kit. The slides are on the sides of each basket. I have the one for a 9 inch opening. I'm sure you could fit a drawer above it if you want (I was going for symmetry with the cabinet on the other side of the range).

There are cons with this unit: It is only 18 inches deep, so there is quite a bit of wasted space. I'm not sure why it isn't deeper. It also doesn't pull out all the way, but it pulls out far enough for easy access.

I wonder if you could use ikea boxes and slides?

Here are some pics of mine (I resized these photos in photobucket, but they are still huge in the preview):
    Bottom drawer
    {{!gwi}}

Top drawer
    {{!gwi}}

Door attachment bracket
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: rev-a-shelf basket unit

• momtofour
    12 years ago

Woohoo, it worked! I have a 9 inch cabinet that we use for cookie sheets, cutting boards and cooling racks on the bottom and oils and vinegars on the top. It didn't come with a shelf but I added one to make the most of the space. I really didn't have plans for this cabinet but it works out GREAT for us!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

marti8a, both pull outs have a slide on the side top, probably to keep them in line. The are two slides on the bottom, just like a drawer. My cabs are frameless because I needed every inch for storage.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

I have "filler" pullouts in 6" spaces flanking my cooktop - full-height. It breaks up the look a bit. At first I was disappointed that I could not get the same look I have with my doors (b/c the space was too narrow to have 3" frame on the door, but once they were in I liked the look.

(Filler pullouts utilize the entire width of the space with no cabinet walls. They are attached to the walls of the adjacent cabinets. They must be installed when the other cabinets are installed before the counters go in, not later.)

They have one glide on top and one on the bottom (but, they're for a 6" space, not 9").

The shelves in my pullouts are not adjustable...I recommend getting ones that are adjustable. I store all kinds of things in mine...I just put the items I seldom use on the bottom shelf b/c you do have lean over to see into that shelf a bit, but you certainly do not have to get on your knees! Since it's open on both sides it's pretty easy to see everything by just taking a step back and looking down.

In case you or anyone else is interested, I've linked to Rev-A-Shelf's base filler pullouts below. There are a variety of configurations...shelves, pegboards, etc. and come in 3", 6", and 9" widths.

Open:

Closed:

A bit dark...

brighter closeup (but lousy picture!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rev-A-Shelf Base Filler Pullouts

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

We have 2 9'' cabinets (with 6'' openings) flanking the cooktop, with Rev-A-Shelf pullouts. DH HATED installing them. Door thickness did not allow mounting per normal instructions, he had to make some shims to get it to work.

To be frank, I'm not crazy about the Rev-A-Shelf pullouts we have. Maybe there's something we've missed, but they do not have the solidity (or the soft close) of our other Blum Blumotion drawers. Next time around, I'd just suggest buying/building a solid drawer and attaching the door front to it. Love the lower idea that desertsteph posted. Good luck!