Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuckwi_gw

need suggestions for backsplash

stuckwi
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
Been lurking for awhile, my first post to seek some advice, evidently I erroneously posted in the Gallery the first time:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/gal0222111613849.html

We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel on a small to medium sized kitchen.
The CAD drawing is attached in the other post.
Cabinets along the wall are Antique white, Island cabinets are Cherry (was hoping for darker, close to black, but that's what my installer showed up with).

Countertop along the wall is Crema Marfil in quartz, Island is Black Speckle in quartz. (going in today)

Kitchen floor is medium travertine, rest of the house is dark cherry wood floor.

All appliances are stainless steel including the sink which is an apron sink.

At this point, we're unsure with what to use as the backsplash and behind the range (color/material/pattern) that would be match the color scheme, timeless and low maintenance.

I will post some photos as soon as the countertops go in...

Any suggestions are appreciated. Or if anyone has similar color scheme in their kitchen, please share your photos...

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my first post in gallery

This post was edited by stuckwi on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 18:05

Comments (18)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Layout:

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 10:49

• stuckwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@may_flowers,
    Thank you for helping with my post.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

You're welcome.

• stuckwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

update with picture. Was considering the beveled Crema Marfil subway tiles for the back splash +/- some black accents using black glass mosaic (which is on our fireplace) or black beveled tile.

• eam44
    10 years ago

What's your budget in $/sf?

In my experience the only thing that will make your quartz countertops look like fake stone would be pairing them with real Crema Marfil marble. It's a terrible idea. Don't do it.

If you want a uniform beige (do you want a uniform beige?) then go for a beveled or crackled subway tile, but use a complimentary (not matching, but harmonizing) tone. Your counters are so calm you could also choose a serious knockout tile if you want to.

• stuckwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure why my response didn't show the first time... here it goes again.
    First, thank you for helping with a sensible suggestion.
    I'm not set on beige, was afraid to go knockout not knowing what I'm doing, but I'm open to it...
    I'm hoping to stay Thanks again

This post was edited by stuckwi on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:20

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think it might be tricky to find a beige that works with the cool tones of the counter and the warm beige of the cabinets.

When I look at your kitchen, I see a lot of rectangles. You have more doors than average and a door style that is layers of rectangles. So I would add a different shape, something softer to break up the angles.

• stuckwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree, I think the door sample looked nice by itself when we saw it. But once all the cabinets/doors went in, all the rectangles seems quite strong in this space. Each door has 7 layers of rectangle line/glaze.
    Sigh, we're hoping we can save this with a good looking backsplash.
    I may even paint the island cabinets a dark shade of cherry or black...

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

The Rixi tile is very pretty, IMO. And under $14 sq ft from Best Tile. I'm about to put Mondorla in my kitchen, you might want to check them out. Crackle tile.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Yeah, there was a little fumble there in the combination of warm and cool tones, but the way to deal with it is to find a mosaic that uses both. Here are some options in your budget.

Porcelain

Stone

Glass and Stone

Glass

My favorite choices for your kitchen are way over budget. The first is a combination of onyx and white marble and sells for $48/sf. The second and third are glass and sell for $54 and $29 respectively.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

EAM, what brand is that last one you posted. I am not fond of that style but I love the colors. The manufacturer may have them in other shapes.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would be careful about adding more variation in pattern and color with the two different cab finishes and countertops, and the ornate door style. You should also consider that your cabinets are very traditional, and most of those busy backsplashes are usually thought of as contemporary. I would look at darker tiles and avoid the beiges all together. I could see the brown working, like the Rixi Noce OOTM posted, but you have a black counter. If you have to use a subway tile, I would match the grout to the tile to minimize the linear pattern.

So you have some challenges. Since the island didn't turn out as planned (didn't you get a stain sample?), I might consider painting the island to match the perimeter cabinets. I hate to paint cherry, but in this case, the stain is just too red. A darker stain won't help with that black counter. It will be a black hole in the center of your kitchen.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I second considering painting the island lighter rather than darker. No help with tile, sorry.

• stuckwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for being so kind.
    I still haven't decided on the BS but am leaning towards a darker tile, I saw these darker glass tile at a local shop's display was wondering what your thoughts are for this kitchen?

• eam44
    10 years ago

SC, It's made by Champion Tile, link below.

Darker tile could be very pretty. perhaps someone could photoshop it for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Do you have photographs with different angles? You listed perimeter cabs as antique white but they are reading peach/pink on my monitor and I think that may be throwing people off?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Is it Sherwin Williams Antique White? I have it in my hallway and stairwell and it can read yellow on a bright day. I too see pink in the cabs, as well as the floor.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I think a dark or busy backsplash would look great in your kitchen.

{{!gwi}}