Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackier_gw

a few kitchen sink questions

jackier
14 years ago

i've tried finding the answers to these questions around here but they seem to be on so many different posts so:

-there seem to be alot of undermount 30" sinks out there...these wont fit into a 30" cabinet (ikea) though right?

what should i be looking for to fit this...27ish?

-do only certain manufacturers make sinks with non-center drains or is this something everyone makes and you just have to request it?

-how does everyone feel about deep sinks? i feel like i want a sink deeper than my current (8") but havent heard any pros or cons about 'em.

thanks all!

Comments (6)

• misplacedtxgal
    14 years ago

There is a link here somewhere that addresses deeper sinks, but I don't have time to look it up. Sorry! Some people complained that their backs hurt because you have to lean over more; others extolled the virtues of being able to totally immerse large pots. I guess it is like everything else, up to personal taste.

• mondragon
    14 years ago

I have a 32" double in a 36" cabinet. Any chance of using the larger cabinet and getting a larger double sink?

From the ikeafans website:

"Sink size: The interior space of the cabinet is 1 1/2 inches less than the width, because of the sides being 3/4" each. However, it is possible to carve out a bit of the side panels to accomodate a bigger sink if necessary. Ideally, you'll want a sink that is about 28.5" wide."

I have a 9.5in deep undermount and I love it. I can put multiple large things in it and when I wash them, it doesn't splash.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Sink Size

I have a double-bowl regular undermount sink with an overall width of 35-1/8" in a 36" sink base cabinet and it fit w/o scribing the walls. My cabinets only have 1/2" sides, so the opening is 35".

However, it should be noted that the overall width of a sink includes the outer rim, not just the bowl(s). So in my case, there is a very small rim overlap on the sides (1/16", probably). [The overall width of the bowls of my sink that fit in the opening of my sink base is approximately 33-1/8":... 35-1/8" - 1" rim - 1" rim = 33-1/8"]

Drains

I think many/most manufacturers now put the drain in the back of the sink, but having one offset left/right is done less. Yes, they're out there, but they're not as common.

Are you looking for a Stainless Steel sink, granite composite (e.g., Silgranit), or other?

Sink/Bowl Depth

We are a tall family and have a fairly deep sink...9" on one side, 7" on the other. We also have grids on the bottom of our sink bowls that raise the floor of the sink a bit. I haven't had any issues w/back pain, but I don't usually do the dishes (I cook; my DH & kids, homework permitting, cleanup). My 6'5" DH has never complained about the sink (nor has my 6'6" & still growing DS!)

Deep sinks are great not just for cleaning pots, but also do a better job at hiding dirty dishes than a raised countertop!

The grids that we have and that came included with my sink, raise the bottom of the sink a bit, but can be removed if/when you want the full depth. To me, though, the biggest advantage of a grid is that the dishes are lifted off the bottom of the sink so the sink can be rinsed w/o anything in the way, drain things w/o dishes blocking the drain hole, and when you drain pasta in a colander...no backwash into the colander! (The last is my #1 favorite about a grid!) Additionally, they protect the bottom of your sink from scratches, if you care. Oh, and they can act as a dish drainer when needed...not just to let air flow around the dishes, but also allow you to stack some things upright using the space b/w the grid lines for propping them up.

One note about sink/bowl depth...if your sink is undermounted, the actual depth of the sink is the sink depth plus the thickness of your countertop & any underlayment. So, my sink is really 9" + 3cm deep = ~10-1/8"

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Our sink (Julien) is 30" in a 36" wide sink base cab. We probably could have gone up to the 33" wide sink, but the cab might've needed some modification (notching) to allow that.

Our drain is slightly offset towards the back.

It is 10" deep. We use a grid (always have). The depth is great for us. I find the reach from counter edge to sink to be more of a bother than the actual sink depth.

• gneebee
    14 years ago

I have a triple bowl stainless steel sink by Elkay. The center is a narrow section for the garbage disposal. on the left is a 13x18" bowl that measures 10" deep. On the right is a 13x16" bowl that measures 7" deep. It's mounted underneath our granit countertops, to that adds an extra inch to the overall depth to each side.

I'm 5"7" and I've always loved having the deeper sink. I had a white porcelain flush mount sink (10" deep) with our old formica countertops prior to switching to the stainless steel and plan to alway go with the deeper sinks. I also have stainless steel grids in the bottom to protect the sink. I, too, hate having to lift them out for cleaning, but I do like having them to act as a dish drainer.

• kitchenobsessed
    14 years ago

How deep is your current sink, and will you be going from a counter mount to an undermount? The undermount, of course, makes the effective depth quite a bit deeper. Our bowl depth is 8" below a 1.25" counter, and it is fine for us.

Since the drain is to the back, but the faucet sends water to the middle of the sink, it is nice to have a sink grid to raise stuff up since the water drains little slower since it must go from the middle to the back. I also like having a pull-out faucet to help scootch stuff into that back drain.

The outside of our sink is 22 15/32 and it is in a 24" cabinet. Yes, it is almost as tight as it gets. Remember when/if you do a tight squeeze that you need to have space to install all your accoutrements -- faucet, instant hot faucet, air switch, soap, etc.

I love the sink grid, but it is annoying to clean when it gets cruddy. However, since it keeps other stuff from getting cruddy, it is worth it.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH