Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace Light Box with Island Hood or Keep Downdraft?

Posted by furnitureshopper (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 10:35

Please help me decide if this custom cabinet clad fluorescent light box (1990) should be replaced by an island hood (36-42") or if it would look better to keep the downdraft ventilation in the island. The cook top will be replaced regardless. The kitchen has lots of light, 10 cans as well as the florescent, and a fixture over the breakfast area. Counters are plastic laminate and will be replaced later, but the island could be done now. Appliances will be stainless.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace Light Box with Island Hood or Keep Downdraft?

If running the ductwork won't be an issue, I would go with an island hood :)

o

Should have mentioned that this is a ranch house, so easy access to the roof. Thanks.

o

I would remove the light box and replace with pendants.

Is the downdraft working for you? Decent hoods are expensive to install. I'm all about function so I am putting a lot of attention into the hood in my kitchen, but it depends on how you cook.

Lovely space to work with :) .

o

I think a hood would look great in that space!

o

Hood all the way! Downdrafts suck because they don't suck. ;-)

o

I think a hood would look great in that space!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here