Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbmy_gw

Please recommend a Custom Cabinet Maker in Florida?

dbmy
12 years ago

I see lots of posts of folks happy with their custom cabinet makers (usually Amish) from the midwest and PA.

Does anyone have any experience or success with custom cabinet makers in Central Florida?

We live in central florida on the west side (Sarasota). There is a large menonnite community here so I'm hoping someone has had some success.

Many thanks!

Comments (11)

• sarapamela
    12 years ago

We just hired one who services that area of FL. If you aren't in a hurry, I'll let you know how he does with our project. He's real busy now, but hopefully he'll be worth waiting for : )

• angel411
    12 years ago

I had an incredible one but he is in Starke, near Gainesville-probably too far for you though.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Ocala Kitchen and Bath, located in Ocala, Florida, is who I hired to do my custom kitchen in our new house. We are in the process of finishing bathroom, laundry, and pantry cabinets.

The main part of my kitchen and one pantry wall was installed last week. They are absolutely awesome. I had soapstone countertops put in by Joshua, owner of Creative Soapstone (located in Punta Gorda). They traveled to north Florida to put them in for me. My counters are awesome, and Joshua figured out how to flow the soapstone around my freestanding vintage sink and on up into my windowsill. It was a challenge and I am convinced no other stone comapny would have been able to do this.

I am VERY picky and searched for two solid years for the right people. In my opinion these are the best people available. Joshua said he had never before seen such a good cabinet installation and quality of materials in Florida, ever, before seeing mine.

My cabinetry was several thousand less than a Kraftmaid quote I had received from Home Depot. I knew I didn't want Kraftmaid but had almost given up on finding a good cabinetry company. I'm glad I held out. I had decided I would have used tool boxes in my kitchen before buying cabinets I felt were not up to my standards until I found the right person. That's how determined I was.

Jan and Milt are the owners of Ocala Kitchen and bath. Jan is an artist and an excellent designer to work with. They are also experts with vintage homes.

We are about two weeks away from being able to move in our house. I have never before had such a beautiful kitchen and it will be a wonderful place to cook. It makes me jump for joy every time I go in there.

Sandy

• sandy808
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention that Ocala Kitchen and Bath will travel. I don't know what their schedule is like is though. You will have to call them.

They are worth waiting for.

• kfhl
    12 years ago

I have heard great things about Miller's Dutch Haus on Bahia Vista in Sarasota. I just got pricing from them and was really pleased.
    Thay did tinker_2006's new kitchen - you can google it easily with "soapstone is here"

• jerzeegirl
    12 years ago

I am so glad I found this thread! I live about 1 mile from Miller's Dutch Haus and was planning to ask them to come over to look at my kitchen. There are actually two Amish cabinetmakers at that location - there's also Tater's which is connected to Miller's but they are different companies. I would love to get some feedback on how they were to work with. I look at their photographs of past jobs and it looks like they do nice work.

• dbmy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jerzeegirl (if you are from NJ ... I just moved down here from NJ 3 years ago - lived in Hoboken and then in Glen Ridge).

I spoke to both Millers Dutch Haus and Taters.

Taters was recommended by my General Contractor -- but he has a habit of only recommending places where I think he receives a little something on the backend. Anyways, I liked the gentleman from Taters BUT he really is just a salesman without much insight on configuration or design. Additionally, he went silent on me for 2 weeks during the planning/pricing stage and then told me his delivery time for the cabinets would be 3 times longer than he first estimated because I "didn't order the cabinets last week". This turned me off and I started researching alternatives.

On Gardenweb I had learned about Millers. I hadn't thought to contact them because they look like a furniture store ..not cabinet maker (and the furniture in their showroom is a bit on the old-fashioned side). I've been EXTREMELY PLEASED with Lee at Miller's Dutch Haus. He is a pleasure to work with and brought very good ideas to the table. The best part ...his pricing was actually less than Taters. I ordered all my pantry cabinetry (its a 12 foot by 7 foot pantry), mudroom (14 linear feet) and 15 foot window seat from him. Its scheduled to be installed 2 weeks from now ...so I can't comment on the quality of the cabinets yet but I can say it has been a pleasure to work with him.

I also ended up ordering Conestoga cabinets for our 6 bathrooms from Brian at the CabinetJoint. Most of all because I was concerned about Florida humidity in a bathroom and wanted to ensure I was getting 'baked on' stains - so I never really planned to go w/ a custom cabinet maker for these. I had also spoken Rick at the CabinetAuthority BUT he really just wanted to give me a price and take my order ..where as Brian at the CabinetJoint was extremely patient and really really helped me 'design' out what the cabinets should look like. Note, both the CabinetAuthority and CabinetJoint are Conestoga resellers ...so they are 'selling' the same product. So if you want to go this route, I recommend CabinetJoint over CabinetAuthority - they'll meet each others' pricing so it really comes down to service and in my case CabinetJoint really shined in this department. I'm expecting my cabinets from Conestoga to arrive the first week in May ... so can't comment on quality of these yet either. I also need to find someone to install them (the downside of ordering online) ... so we'll see how that goes.

If you'd like to speak on the phone, please send me an email and I'll be happy to chat. Also I can share photos and experience by mid-may ..at that time all my custom cabinets from Millers and my Conestoga cabinets from CabinetJoint should be in. My house is in Laurel Oaks in Sarasota ... so once they are in, if you want to stop by and see them, you are welcome to do so!

Deirdre

• lynx20
    11 years ago

There is one that I like close to Orlando. It's definitely not Amish, but they do good work. I used them both for my kitchen and custom built-ins in hubby's office. It may be worth to check them out. Look up American Design in Orange City, FL. I know they have worked in Miami and Tampa, so I am sure they would travel.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Design

• victoria blair
    7 years ago

Hi, I live in st pete fl we are looking for a custom cabinet company or someone who builds custom cabinets. I've done a bit of research the Amish make wonderful cabinets as well. I've received quotes from Home Depoe, lowe;s cabinet companies locally but who wants to pay that price when I know there has got to be a better choice out there. Help me please

• User
    7 years ago

Signs · More Info