Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help pulling together the details

Posted by maggie530 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 10:33

I have to finalize a lot of kitchen decisions in the next week and could really use some advice. My kitchen is completely open to many other elements of my home and I'm afraid that I'm not taking this enough into consideration.

This is new construction. We are doing a white kitchen, undecided on countertops. Our floors are going to be waterloxed walnut. My appliances are Wolf stainless steel.

Hard for me to answer how much light I have. The entire back side of my house, where the kitchen is located, has a LOT of windows and french doors with transom. I have 10 foot ceilings. That being said, my lot is heavily treed and blocks a lot of light. My neighbor with the same trees and original 1920 house thinks my house is very bright. My friend with an 80s open plan vaulted ceiling clear cut lot house thinks it is not.

I like a lot of different variations of the "white" kitchen so I don't feel like I HAVE to have marble, or HAVE to have soapstone, or have to have creamy, etc, etc. My bigger concern is making sure my kitchen doesn't look like a big white marshmallow next to the other rooms in my house.

We have an L shaped perimeter of cabinets and a large island buffering our family room. Our backwall that is shared by kitchen and family room has three French doors that are, I think, mahogany with a Jacobean stain. My family room furniture is greige with maybe a little bit of olive. (Think furniture you buy so kids and dogs can sit on it). Also some brown leather chairs and a brown leather ottoman coffee table. The fireplace which is on far wall directly opposite the kitchen island is Old Savannah brick with a white wood mantel.

Colorwise - this is the look of our family room, only the back wall has more stained doors and less white:

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/345480/Wall-color---What-is-the-wall-color-

My first thought was to paint or stain the large island a non-white. However, even though I love the look on a lot of GWebbers kitchens, I don't trust myself to pull it off.

My second thought was to stick with a marble or quartzite countertop on my perimeter but do a walnut countertop on my island to help the kitchen have some of the "wood" look of the other rooms. But I don't know anything about walnut countertops - cost, durability, practicality. My island will have the main sink and dishwasher.

Now, about what color to paint the cabinets. I think I am going to have to choose the same paint for my kitchen cabinets that I choose for the trim for the rest of the house. There's just no good stopping point to transition the color and no way do I trust myself to try to coordinate different whites. So, the white of my cabinets will be the white that trims Jacobean stained doors and Old Savannah brick fireplace. Is there an obvious choice white here? I currently have samples of BM White Dove, Cloud White, Marscapone, and Chantilly Lace. I thought I bought a Simply White sample also, but can't find it right now. I am painting some sample boards to take with me countertop shopping tomorrow.

Thank you for your help!
Maggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help pulling together the details

Nothing beats a local professional's advice. They can come to your home and view things in person and tailor recommendations to your personal taste after viewing your current home's furnishings, etc. They are available to create a master plan for the whole home so that you keep your selections appropriate, or they can find you product that only professionals have access to. It is WELL worth the small amount of money on a new build to have a designer assist you.

o
RE: Need help pulling together the details

Thanks Live Wire Oak. I actually have been using a designer to help me with a lot of my choices. So far, I've been really happy with her suggestions. She is going with me tomorrow with my paint samples to look at slabs.

I was really just asking Gardenweb because I consider Gardenweb the authority on all things related to white kitchens. I know that so many of you have them and would be able to give real practical advice.

I may just come back tomorrow with the designer's opinions and see if people here agree. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here