Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Very belated update on our kitchen reno, sorry!

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

I feel bad for just disappearing after all the great advice and support you all gave us last spring when we were agonizing about our kitchen reno!

We got about 75% finished with it -it was mainly DIY so that did take longer than normal- and then discovered a huge mold problem in the master bath/bedroom that completely usurped our time and money. Sadly, that project is still not complete, as our gorgeous custom calacatta marble shower had moisture problems that have have not been remedied yet :(

Anyway- nearly a year after we began the kitchen, we're making progress again. I finally installed the backsplash last week! It's pretty boring, white subway tiles, but we need this kitchen to be fairly safe and classic for resale in a few years. The tiles themselves are quite lovely, with a nice surface variation that echoes the movement of the marble counter and cherry grain.

Next: trim for the cabinets, top and bottom and light rail...

I'd like to report that the kitchen works really well. Several of you (rhome410 and laxsupermom in particular, and others!) convinced us to move the kitchen to a new area, in the middle of the house. The layout works beautifully. We love being able to look down into the LR/DR area, and we love the hearthside sitting area now adjacent to the kitchen...thank you :)

Backsplash pics:

Comments (25)

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Staceyneil, I love the backsplash that lets your cabinets and marble counters take center stage as well as keeping your kitchen happy and bright. I love the marble counters and of course I love your NXR. So sorry about all your stresses during the remodel with other parts of your house. I have been there and understand how stressful life can be at times but we do our best and you are doing a great job.

• Diane Clayton
    14 years ago

Really nice countertops. Although I may be prejudiced. I picked a white (Misty Carrera) Ceasarstone and since I am not planning on leaving will put in a red glass tile back splash although I haven't committed totally.

• Fori
    14 years ago

I still like it!

The backsplash isn't boring at all. It's serene and sophisticated and is much more than just filler. What did you do over the sink? That was a tricky area wasn't it? (You said it's been a while--you can't expect me to remember!)

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

It's beautiful and serene! As one who has a white subway backsplash, I'm a fan and love it with the marble and cabinets in your kitchen. Not boring at all.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

It's lovely stacey. The cherry cabinets are beautiful and I love the countertops. It like the simple, peaceful style you chose.

I want to thank you again for keep us posted on your NXR over in Appliances. I am STILL debating NXR vs. Blue Star. I know... unbelievable.

Beautiful job. I could handle a few more pics in all your spare time!

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

Very beautiful kitchen! I love the warm shaker cherry cabinetry contrasted with the crisp lovely marble. Looks like a kitchen you will really enjoy and buyers will love it in a few years.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Stacy-
    Thanks for posting an update. I have enjoyed seeing the progress you have made in your house (and compared to the speed of our remodel, yours is happening very quickly!). I hope your moisture problems get resolved soon.

The backsplash complements your cabinets and beautiful marble very well. I need to resume the search for a backsplash for my kitchen, and your kitchen is leaning me back to subway tiles again. :)

Did you decide on a paint color for your living room?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aw, you guys are so nice :)

So, what do you think: will my knife magnet with knives on it ruin this wall if I install it under the right-hand cabinet? I love the clean look right now, but have no where for the good knives :(

Fori- you noticed I didn't include a shot of the sink area?! I wanted to wait till we got the painted wood "cap" or "sill" installed on the openings to the living room there. Right now it's still just the raw 2x4s, yuck :( The subways just run along there, two rows of them, with bullnosed pieces where there won't be a cap. Hopefully in less than 2 weeks I will have pics of that!

odie- I am still happy with my NXR, for what its worth! I was just thinking that this morning as I cooked breakfast. It was definitely one of our best decisions. Then again, I did not have the budget for more than about $2600, so Blue Star was never in the running.

• poppy09
    14 years ago

Your countertop/backsplash/cabinet combo is serene. And lovely. Love your marble! Do you mind me asking what faucet you have?

• Fori
    14 years ago

I'd hang the knives on the fridge cab!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

poppy, the faucet is a HansGrohe Talis S faucet.... LOVE IT. it is much more low-profile than most faucets on the market now, which we like because there is only a 6" high wall there opening to the next room, and I didn't want a big high-arc faucet on view from the living room all the time. i got it for about half MSRP by shopping on line.

fori- me too... seems like a nice place for them, except DH is worried that the tips will gouge the cherry. They probably would. I don't know if you have ever used one but when you tip the knife to "unstick" it from the magnet, the tip does touch the wall :(

• Fori
    14 years ago

Well I guess he has a point. You could maybe put a strip of matching wood right above the block to run interference, but at a certain point it's just going too far. And no, I'm not trying to play on "point", it just keeps sneaking in.

Maybe the opposite wall behind the orchid? A bit of a stretch but you'd only poke drywall.

Anyway, it would look fine on your backsplash. I'm just too chicken to drill tile. Especially perfect tile.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll definitely drill in the grout line if I do put it there. That way I could probably grout over it and hide the holes fairly well if it looked crappy.

I got a new chrome knife rack for this kitchen from Ikea... much nicer looking than the utilitarian one I had before (wood with two magnet strips) but it's like 22" long. Too long to go on the little strip of wall behind the orchid :(

• prill
    14 years ago

Stacey - very, very pretty. I love the marble, and your cabinets are lovely.

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks wonderful! You and DH did an awesome job. My first thought on the knife strip was to put it on the refrigerator panel, too. We(I) pull our knives off with a twisting motion, turning to pivot on the dull edge(top side) of the knife vs tipping up. But if you know that's not the motion you use, than I think it will look just fine on the backsplash. Can't wait to see the pics of the sink run, too.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Stacey: Your cabinets are so beautiful! I especially like the pairing with the marble. I think you have done a wonderful job.

Now the bathroom....mold??? Yikes! I have heard about this....sounds like it has been a really time/money sink. So sorry. So sad considering that you had the pretty calacutta marble. Keep us updated and post more pics.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for checking in!! I hope your mold and shower problems are solved soon. The kitchen is lovely, and it's so great to know how well it works!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Lovely, lovely! The backsplash is so clean and bright. It's perfect in it's quiet elegance, letting other things take the main focus.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Lovely. So warm. I love how rhome put it. Quiet elegance. That's it perfectly. So sorry for your mold issues. How scary and frustrating!

• danielle84
    14 years ago

Beautiful choices. Great cooking earea. How deep are your counters? How many inches of granite from the faucet to the wall. We had to change our sink that was just like yours to a less deep one. Yours looks lovely.
    Congrats

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Beautious!!!!

• holligator
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm so glad you checked in! Your house is one of my favorite projects on here. I'm really curious to see some of the other aspects of your kitchen (what did you ever do about an island countertop?) and other parts (how did the pantry area and mudroom turn out?). Don't forget to post more as you get more done. And good luck resolving your mold problem!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh thanks you guys, you are soooo nice to come and comment.

Holligator! I can't believe I forgot you- you were instrumental in the original plans, for sure :) The island has a cherry top and we LOVE it. The mudroom is so fabulous- every day I think to myself, or even say out loud, "I love my mudroom!" Especially now since I have been spreading compost and cow manure all over the yard and I actually have a place to come in and sit down and take my muddy boots off :) But the mudroom and pantry are not ready for pics yet. They need doors, trim, and pantry counter/sink installed. The *&^%$ bathroom mold debacle really derailed us :(

The mold is gone, now, our insurance paid for professionals to come and abate it. They also gave us rebuild money, so we designed decided to take the opportunity to renovate the master bath area. Gorgeous walk-in shower with frameless doors, soaking tub, custom mahogany vanity, mmmmmmm..... We even hired Bill Vincent to do the tile work! But there was a problem with the marble shower floor, the tile discolored right away, so he's having to rebuild it. It has been a real struggle. We've been without that bathroom since last April/May. I got to take about 8 showers in it before we had to stop due to the tile problem. So we're all sharing the tiny bath that was our "kitchen" during the kitchen reno. So not fun.

danielle- We havea pretty standard 25.75" countertop from wall to front edge. I did insist that the sink be mounted as far forward as possible... they had to notch the sink base cabinet's top support stringer to accomodate that.

I promise I will come back and post more pics as we get more finished!

• tateland
    14 years ago

LOVE your kitchen. I finished mine last may with b-splashed installed 2 mos. ago I too couldnt have done it without this site...my goal in the next week, post pics!

• petra66_gw
    14 years ago

I love the subway tile-countertop combination. Very elegant!