Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xarillus

Need Design help!!! Cabinet pulls and Backsplash

Xarillus
11 years ago

Hi All,

I am trying to determine what color of tile backsplash i should go with to tie everything in and also door pulls.I was thinking a natural stone in a grey color? Stainless backsplash?? dunno!

Anyone have any design recommendations?

Comments (12)

• Jancy
    11 years ago

I have been looking at a lot of folks painted oak cabinets and wondering if you painted these? If so, can you please tell me what you did? I love the color, they look great.
    I wish I could be of some help with the BS and pulls but I haven't a clue but do look forward to see what others recommend and your finished kitchen.

• Xarillus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your correct they were unfinished oak cabinets and i sanded them down with 220 and applied Java gel stain from general finishes.Goes on real easy with a no-lint rag,you just keep adding light coats until you get the darkness you want.After i was done i used minwax satin wipe on poly to protect.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

It would help to see how much of the kitchen needs backsplash. Something easy on the eyes in a small area could be overwhelming in a huge kitchen. Please post a pic of the sink area and any other large areas to be tiled.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

You did a great job on your cabinets. You can do almost anything with the backsplash.

• Xarillus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cabinet pulls stainless? nickel? dark color?

• raehelen
    11 years ago

What kind of flooring do you have? More pictures would be helpful, but my immediate gut reaction is that SS backsplash would be too cold. I think you need something organic to warm things up! When you walk into a tile store, what tile/stone combo makes your heart sing? There are so many beautiful choices out there, with your very neutral elements, you could do just about anything!

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I'd go with brushed nickel pulls and subway tiles, but here are some pictures.

{{!gwi}}

The last one looks green but isn't.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Love your cabinets.

I like nosoccermom's pics showing white tiles. Subways would be great, although I think any white tile would lighten that backsplash rather than having it go too grey. With the black cabinets, a too-dark b-splash could look dreary and make the b-splash area recede.

A marble subway--maybe beveled--would work well, as long as you could get one that's heavy on the white and not too greyed out.

I'd recommend you get at least 5 of each potential tile and live with the options for a couple of weeks.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Actually, it wasn't that I was searching for white subway tiles. These came up when I googled image black cabinets and butcherblock. Also, check out IKEA pictures for SS kitchen accessories (e.g. shelves, storage). They would go well with your kitchen. BTW, love the Java cabinets!

• eam44
    11 years ago

These might be other options for you. When you ask for ideas it's also helpful to give us a budget $/sf or $/pull so we don't suggest things that you can't use.

So, you get the idea, for bs tiles you can use mosaics to pull in new colors and blend them with the ones you've got to create a more vibrant space. To do this you want to incorporate beige (like your counter top) and perhaps some black with a color you love and want to pull into your space. In this case I used blue, but you can do this with almost any other color you like.

Glass

Glass

Glass and Stone

Glass and Slate

Glass

Glass and Stone

For puills, tell us what you're going for - modern and sleek? man cave kitchen? It's a pretty masculine space already - do you want to balance that out or run with it?

Curve echoes that in your appliance pulls for a more cohesive look

Straight, modern, masculine

Traditional, chunky

Good luck!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Agree with mayflowers need to see a wider shot of your kitchen to better answer your question, especially regarding the backsplash. Thanks.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

I love the elongated glass ovals from Glasstileoasis that EAM44 posted. I think it would add a bit of softness of curvey shape and some badly needed color to what is a pretty straight lined and almost severe look. Blue and black is a great modern color combo that works well together.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!