Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Show me your kitchen tile floors

msrose
10 years ago

I've looked at so much tile lately that my brain is turning to mush and I'm completely confused about what I want. It will be next to hardwood, so I don't want the wood look tile. I think it would help if I could see some pictures. It's so hard to tell what a whole floor will look like by looking at just one tile. Even if they don't still make your tile, I can figure out the look I like.

Comments (86)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Thank you for the compliments on my floor. There are so many beautiful floors on this thread. They're worth the aching back and knees and cold feet and shattered glasses and dirty grout, aren't they? ;)

Msrose, when I asked my tile installer what stone my pattern was trying to imitate, he said it was a mix of limestone and travertine. So jellytoasts's quiet pattern might be a limestone look. My tile can be laid using more or less of one tile or another. I only needed two boxes (with leftovers) for my small kitchen, so maybe in your kitchen, you'd have more liberty to sort through the tiles. I think mine may be too gold for you, but there are other colors, all darker however. Your current tile looks a little too gold. Your counter seems to have cream or gray undertones.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

That's right may_flowers, mine is a limestone look.

It's interesting that you say msrose's current floor looks too gold and that her counters seem to have cream and gray undertones. On my monitor, the floor looks green, as do her countertops and backsplash! I agree 100% that the key is getting the undertone right. I don't know how many tiles I brought home, thinking they'd look great, only to discover that the undertone was way off!

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

Here's mine. It is a 17 inch porcelain tile. The cat did not come with it.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I wanted wood in the kitchen, but it just wasn't practical. Like you, I didn't want to put wood look tile next to real wood, so I went with a ceramic tile that looks like stained concrete.

The tile is a little darker than shown.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

kalapointer, your kitty is so perfectly posed that it looks like she (he?) was painted into the picture. Its really surprising how many pictures my little dog shows up in ... do they sense the camera and come running?

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

Jelly, if they could use a smart phone, they would be doing selfies. LOL

This post was edited by kalapointer on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 16:05

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Hahaha, true that!!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Kalapointer, I love your kitty and I love your tile! Marti8a, I also love your tile.

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

Lynn, thanks on both compliments. The kitty, Maggie, was a rescue kitty. She about 4 and only weighs 10 lbs. She is tiny, but full of trouble. She loves to chase things and run through the house and slide on the floors.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I started out thinking I wanted a travertine look, but during my search, I've decided it is more of a limestone look that I want.

Lynn - So glad you finally figured out the picture thing! Your kitchen tile has more of the look I'm going for. Do you know what it is

May_flowers - Thanks for letting me know the actual color. I do need something with less gold, but yet gray wouldn't work, so it's tough finding just the right color. My current tiles are more warm than the countertops.

kalapointer and marti8a - I can't see a transition piece between the two floors. Is it just not showing up in the picture?

My mother is also getting new floors, so she came over today to look at this post. Thank you so much to everyone for posting your tile!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

msrose, Ilva Rectified 18x18 Opera Aida Glazed Porcelain (Made in Argentina). Aida means White. Rating is a 5 and it has a nonslippery surface. It is a pretty tile that I would not call it white but their other two colors are taupe and gray that it came in. I feel that many of the tiles look like real stone in person since it has a lot of variation in the tiles.

I did a search for you before posting here. There is no more tiles like this one as it was discontinued when I bought so many boxed in September 2011. That was when I found out the tile should go under the cabinets. I had planned to install it but BR-111 sent me damaged T-Moldings. Then they sent new ones damaged also and a wrong species but I never dealt with it or sent them back or complained since my Skeeter passed away at that time on 12-30-11. I was grieving all through January and then tax season came.

Then I had emergencyGallbladder surgery 3 weeks after tax season ended. Then my Uncle Died. Then we had no electricity for 1.5 weeks. Then I put off the kitchen until 2013 after tax season. But then I had the flood on 3-20-13 during my tax season causing so many extensions and other issues to take care of.

I am almost finally ready but will take care of the kitchen as soon as this tax season passes as I am getting so close to knowing what I want.

I still love my tiles and your post about liking my tiles made me feel good.

Ilva has other tiles they are selling and there is a Pietra series tile that looks pretty also. I love your counter and will be looking into your counter to see how it looks with my tile and cabinets after tax season.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

May_flowers, I love your tiles and your beautiful kitchen cabinets. I am wondering what color grout and manufacturer of the grout did you go with and does your tile have a gray bevel like mine does? I used Mushroom grout for my Akoya Bone tiles but they are more beige and a little darker without the veins and variations that my Ilva bigger tiles have.

I played around with grout colors and nothing was perfect so I was just going to go with the Mushroom again. I will revisit this decision after tax season also but for now it would be nice to know what color grout you used on your very neutral beautiful big tiles.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Lynn, it's Laticrete in Marble Beige.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

May_flowers, thank you for letting me know that your grout is Laticrete Marble Beige. I will have to try out that grout also as my bevel in this tile is a soft gray color.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lynn - It sounds like you've been through some really tough times lately. I hope things are taking a turn for the better now. I'm so bummed your tile was discontinued. I don't think I've even seen that brand in the stores. I'll have to google it and see what I can find out.

• NewEnglandgal
    10 years ago

Here is my tile floor I just had installed. I always wanted different size tile and a pattern and I finally got it.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

msrose, I totally understand where you are coming from. I saw the tiles laid down at a new neighbor's house who had just renovated their kitchen in 2011. They used white grout and maybe it did hide the bevel area as it looked nice despite not blending with the tile as much as the Mushroom blended with my Akoya Bone Tiles. Maybe the bevel is there to prevent lippage of the tiles as their tiles had no lippage and were all even. The tiles looked like real stone and were so beautiful with the Cherry cabinets they had in their kitchen. I also liked that the tile was not slippery. Hence, I bought the tiles and really want them installed already but since I don't want to keep my cabinets since they are not in great shape like your cabinets and since there is nothing under the cabinets right now and nothing under the appliances as the Linoleum was installed up to the cabinets with a plastic rubber black covering going around to hide the edge that has popped off and can't be put back on as the floor has cracked and rolled up everywhere from the water damage.

Well, at least you know what the tiles are. I hope you find the tile that will complement your beautiful counters and your cabinets. I think a lighter tile like mine will work well that is not slippery and is a big tile.

• kalapointer
    10 years ago

msrose, I am not sure what you mean by "transition" piece, but here is another photo that might show both floors better.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

On ours, there is really no transition piece. I told them NO to t-molding. I was tired of tripping over it. So instead, the piece of flooring that touches the tile was planed down so that it meets the tile flush. The tile was just a bit thinner than the wood so it worked fine.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Marti8a ... I feel the same way about t-molding and plan to make the transition to my wood flooring without it. I do like the way it looks without it!

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sammy - I love the different sizes. I originally wanted travertine in the versailles pattern.

kala - I meant the trim piece between the tile and wood. I think I see it now!

marti8 - Really? I didn't know that was an option.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

" ... marti8 - Really? I didn't know that was an option."

marti8's wood flooring runs lengthwise along her tile flooring. I don't know if it would be an option if the wood flooring went the other direction.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jellytoast - Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even think about them being a different direction.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found one that looks promising....at least online. The color is walnut, so it may be too brown. It comes in light colors as long as they're not too light. It says the variation is a 4 though and that always makes me nervous

Daltile Pietre Vecchie
    {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Kalapointer, I love how your wood and tile meet without a transition piece!

msrose, this new tile looks promising as I like the way it looks also.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    10 years ago

itsallaboutthefood, I love your cat rug! It look so realistic!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

LOL ... I thought that was a dog (a sheltie)!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I don't know if you can see it too well in this picture but this is our master bath travertine floor tile it is also on the wall around the tub area and as a baseboard about 6 or 8 inches up.

• itsallaboutthefood
    10 years ago

Thanks...it's actually a dog rug...old Australian Shephard....once down she doesn't move unless you're really insistent.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The Antique Ivory doesn't seem to have much variation, but the other colors are a mix of solid and patterned, like my tile, and some seem to have color variation. The Walnut looks pink though. I wouldn't use a brown tile because it's too much with the hardwood and cabinets.

I love Sammy's tile. Looks like your colors.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

lol msrose, our floor guys didn't think it was an option either. With our first floor, they put in a t-mold. I griped about it all the time. Not only did I sometimes trip over it, but dragging the vacuum and suitcases over it had chipped it. It was when fil, who had Parkinson's, tripped over it that dh finally pulled it up and figured out how to plane down a piece to fit flush on both sides. We've never had a problem with it. I was afraid there might be some chipping on the edge, but it worked fine for 4 years until we had to replace that floor.

When we had this floor put in, the installer insisted that t-mold was the only thing that would work between tile and the wood. We showed him what we had done, and told him just to leave that strip out and dh would make a piece fit. This wood floor has only been in since Christmas.

Our tile in the bathroom is thinner than the kitchen, and dh is going to do the same thing there.

We have engineered hickory, if that makes any difference.

And yes, if the wood had run the other direction, it would have been more difficult, but possible I think. The installers would have had to cut all the boards so they ended in a straight line and cut a groove into them, and then a board running perpendicular would lock into them. It's the one that would have to be planed to fit.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

gr8day, I love your bathroom as well as loving the tiled floors. I wish we could see more of them but from what I see, they are beautiful.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 0:59

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gr8day - Is it real travertine or tile? I love it, so I'm guessing it's real travertine :)

I think I'm close to picking one. It's the same tile in two different colors. I think the brown is prettier in person and would be better at hiding dirt. The lighter is a good match to my countertops and might allow me more flexibility in picking out a paint color. Low maintenance is very important to me though, so I'm nervous about a lighter colored floor. May_flowers, I can already guess which one you're going to pick :)

This post was edited by msrose on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 22:32

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marti8a - Are you countertops light or dark?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Oh you do, do you? ;)

The lighter one is a good color but very much like your counter. The brown feels a little off. The BS and counter swirls look caramel brown, and I think it's making the floor look pink. But that's just in some photos. It looks good in the last photo.

• front
    10 years ago

mayflowers

What is it called when tiles are staggered like yours? Is there a specific name I should mention to my installer?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Running bond.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

It is real travertine. 18 x 18 set on the diagonal. I will try to post a better picture when it is daylight : ) Thank you for the kind remarks about it. I love it so much and never thought I'd have anything so nice. The tiles weren't that expensive considering, but having it installed was a lot. We bought one thing at a time such as the tub and new faucets, granite tops, repaint cabinets, lighting fixtures. We were able to do it by putting it off until it couldn't be put off any longer due to a leaking shower and it seemed like one thing led to another and we had the money saved to do it by that time. It has heated floor under it that has been life changing, since it is so cold in that room, so nice not to be freezing in there in the winter and even keeps the bedroom warmer.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

When I was trying to pick out countertops and flooring for the master bath we were told that when the floor and counters match or are close it is pleasing to the eye. â¦for what it's worth.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you gr8day for this knowledge. Maybe I will go with one of the lighter counters that are close in color rather than dark like most of the kitchen designers felt I should go with. I love your Travertine. I wish you would share another picture showing more of the tiled floor.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When I described may_flower's pattern, the guy called it a brick pattern, so I guess it has more than one name. I only have one room done so far (no grout), but I'm loving the tile I picked. It had a 4 variation (the highest), so I was a little worried, but it's not busy at all.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Yes, it's also called brick. Can't wait to see your tile!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

msrose, I can't wait to see your new tiles installed! Please post pictures!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I hope this picture will help a little Lynn2006. I am out of town and found it in my stash of photos online. I love the travertine tile. It feels sort of soft if that makes any sense! It's not as hard as some of the stone materials. I did end up using a darker granite on the vanities and really wish I hadn't the only reason I did was because I made a big boo boo in the shower with a darker color and I was trying to tie it all together which only ended up pointing out the boo boo more. Live and learnâ¦.it bugs me everyday but I will just have to get over it!

Here is another slightly better photo of the trav tile.

Looking forward to seeing msrose's finished tile!

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gr8day - What a gorgeous bathroom! I've always wanted a tub like that.

The floors are in and I'm very happy with them. From a design stand point, the lighter color may have been a better choice, but from a functional stand point, I'm glad I went with the darker. The pictures don't do them justice. They look so much better in person.

Before with light carpet

After with hardwoods

Fireplace before

Fireplace after

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Msrose, your kitchen is gorgeous!!! Love the tile--perfect choice!!!
    What a difference with your new hardwood floors. That is one of the nicest fireplace remodels I have seen. That is going to be my next project. I wanted granite, but you have me rethinking my choice. The stone looks wonderful.
    What a beautiful transformation throughout!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The tile looks very nice! It seems to pick up some of the darker tones of the backsplash, so good choice going with the darker tile. You've done a great job upgrading your home!

I was noticing how the colors in the art over the sofa seems to be a good match for the BS. I would try it on the kitchen wall to bring a little more contemporary feel to the kitchen.

• lizzybb
    9 years ago

msrose, I love your new tiles! Can you tell me what brand/color you ended up picking? I am torturing myself with going back and forth on picking a tile, but I think yours would be the perfect one for my kitchen. Thank you!

• brightm
    9 years ago

msrose: I think you made a great choice with your floors, and other things. I really like your backsplash!

You and others on this thread have me re-thinking tile. I've never had a tile floor of any kind. Anywhere. They scare me. I've only ever had vinyl in a kitchen (and asbestos tiles back in the day). DH would like tile and I've been holding out for vinyl in some form. But we were told that the LVT we've chosen is about the same price as some tile, so maybe I should take a better look.

itsallaboutthefood: I was reading this on my laptop on my lap, blue merle aussie on the ottoman beyond my screen...I had to do a double take when I got to your post.

jellytoast: Do you have a reveal thread or pics in general anywhere? We're doing natural cherry cabinets. We considered seafoam granite and currently have mesquite on hold. It's got a similar tone (in spots...also more white) but a different look. I'd love to see your cabinets with your granite.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Wow - I really love all of the changes you've made! What a beautiful space you have! Great choice on the floor - it looks great with your gorgeous counters and wood floor.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area