Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galleyrat

Bar/Prep faucet vs 'real' kitchen sink faucet.

GalleyRat
12 years ago

Assuming that the gpm/psi is the same for bar/prep as for an actual main kitchen faucet, is a prep/bar faucet model just not as tall and doesn't have as wide as what I will call "spread" (the area across the arc of the spout)? That spread I guess would put a "real" faucet further into the sink, but would one 7 or 8 inches across have enough of a reach? How is that determined?

Has anybody used a bar/prep for main kitchen sink faucet? I have a two bowl 60/40 sink.

For aesthetic reasons, I need to find a smaller (in height) pull down faucet because of a low pass-thru in the kitchen. I may just have to block up the pass-thru 5 inches or just get over myself.

The only "shorter" pull downs I've found are the bar/prep faucets.

Comments (9)

• GalleyRat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Googled this and found two threads on this very forum.

I will have rear drains.

My concern is that it Would be very annoying to not have enough room to wash your hands without them bumping the back of the sink.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0219164226438.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0707094313161.html

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

I purchsed the Bridgeford Dual Spray Pull-Out Faucet, by Grohe, it's apparence and size is smaller than many of the others, reviews were very good. It hasn't been hooked up, but is sitting in my sink, surrounded by my granite and I love it! Monday I will have water and appliences! Amazing, I hate the thought of eating out.

• adel97
    12 years ago

"My concern is that it Would be very annoying to not have enough room to wash your hands without them bumping the back of the sink."

Well, it depends on the particular model. Some "regular size" faucets are smaller in scale than a prep sink faucet in a different model. You've probably noticed that, like many things, faucets have generally been "Supersized" in recent years. In any event, most "prep sink size" faucets are only a bit smaller that the "regular" size in the same model.

Here's a picture of my prep sink size Ladylux in my main sink, which is 25 inches interior width. I have 6 inches of clearance between the back of the sink and the water flow, so bumping the back of the sink or faucet is not an issue at all. There is also more than sufficient spread even without using the pull down feature. Note that I also tested the "bar sink" size of the same faucet, and that one looked a bit small to me given the overall scale of the sink and kitchen. Sorry for the mid-construction pic, but I thought this showed the prep sink size faucet in context of the scale of the rest of the kitchen.

Bottom line: pay close attention to the spec sheets of the faucet you're contemplating, and make sure the clearance from the back won't be an issue.

• GalleyRat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for that great advice AND picture--it really helps to see it.
    I don't yet have the granite counters, or the sink or the faucet, so I can pick whatever. Stupid Question alert: how do you figure from the specs how far out the faucet head will be relation to the back of the sink? Is there a standard placement of the hole to be drilled?

• adel97
    12 years ago

Galley, thats not a stupid question at all. I don't know if there's a standard--your fabricator could probably tell you that--but if your faucet backs up to a backsplash, just make sure you have enough room for your chosen faucet. The specs should say the minimum hole size required, and if your faucet has a fat base part (the part that covers the hole), you should take that into account as well, as well as leaving a bit of counter showing in front for aesthetic reasons. I had no problem with a 3.5 inch counter depth in back of my sink AFTER I chose a forward rotating side handle faucet. See this earlier thread for that clearance issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: faucet handle clearance thread

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I had a bar faucet for my prep sink and wound up replacing it. The flow was not the same, the reach was not far enough into even the smaller prep sink, water splashed out the back and side and there was no sprayer - which was helpful for veggies and prep. I loved the look, but not the way it functioned. It is now sitting in a box inthe garage in case I have another use for it, but I suspect it will wind up going to Habitat.

• GalleyRat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I assumed that all spouts that swivel 360 degrees can have the handle facing the middle in the front. When I called Delta, Moen etc they said sure it was fine to do that, BUT I have on my faucet notes to make sure this is the case when it comes time to order. If that time actually EVER comes! Thanks for the heads up.

• GalleyRat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much! I can see most bar faucets would prob not reach far enough into the sink.
    Bummer. Back to the drawing board.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES