Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My kitchen is on Houzz!

Posted by youngdeb (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 9:59

Many of you gave me great advice over the course of this project...thought you might find it cool that it made it onto that website!

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8192302/list/Kitchen-of-the-Week--Practical--Budget-Friendly-Beauty-in-Dallas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My kitchen is on Houzz!

Cool! Congrats!

o

Great ideas. The reflective surfaces expand the space. I have read about the JennAir glass surfaces, but I haven't seen them used before. Good job!

o

Good job Deb!

o

Love that rotating bar! What a clever idea. Do you get much use out of it in practice?

Would you recommend against white cabinets based on your experience? Love the wood in your house.

o

We use that bar every day. I wouldn't do lower white cabinets again, honestly. Uppers get less dirty at our house.

o

I love that pivot bar top! What a great innovation!

Congrats on making it to houzz!!

Suzi

o

Wow! I love your pivot bar and it would have been perfect in our kitchen! Too late now but maybe next time!
Love your colors and impressed with your budget!
Thank you for sharing :-)

o

Congratulations! I love MCM design. May I ask why you didn't flip the location of the fridge with the adjoining bar area to give you more room by the cooktop? Cost, layout/structural constraints, or this way just works well for you? Just wondering. Love your kitchen--that BS combined with the lyptus really make the whole kitchen pop!

o

That is a wonderful space. It looks very "today" but I don't think it will ever scream 2013, because it is not a clone of a magazine layout. The rotating bar counter is ingenious-- I liked it a lot even before I knew it was movable, as an example of what could be done with a low kitchen window when you still really wanted to use the space. I love the color palette, too-- I would never tire of it. Great job! (minor question, but what pulls are those?)

o

We didn't move the fridge because we didn't move anything! We have plenty of room on either side of the cooktop, but the "barrier island" is a huge bummer. If I had spent another 30 grand or so we would have completely reconfigured the room. The fridge would have moved to the pantry spot, the cooktop to the wall adjacent to the sink, the ovens would have been stacked on the wall they're on....etc. But we didn't want the interruption to our lives and we didn't want to spend the money.

I can't remember the pulls, sorry. They're pretty easy to source - I found similar on lots of websites.

o

How exciting! Congratulations on getting on Houzz. It's a great kitchen.

o

Congrats!!!!

o

It looks great! They did a wonderful piece on it. I just love that swiveling counter.

o

congrats! your kitchen is one of my inspirations. it is so fresh and has so many unique elements!

a questions for you, i also did the same quartzite for my counters and am trying to figure out backsplash tile now. my counters seem to have a greenish/grey tint, so I am wondering if yours is similar? Is your fireclay tile blue or blue/green colored?

This post was edited by michoumonster on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 16:47

o

I have a barrier island, too--I feel your pain. You did a great job of updating. Enjoy!

o

Michou, ours have a lot of gray in them as well but lean towards blue undertones, not green. We waffled between fireclay Crater Lake (which we used) and Kiwi. I think either would have looked good, honestly. It's a pretty clear blue, not much green. Slightly grayed down.

o

Hooray!!! I'm so happy for you:) I tell you, every time I look at your kitchen, the tile you picked makes me smile. The color is so perfect for your space.

Now have to ask - how does one get on Houzz? I'd love to hear the story. Best, oldbat2be

o

Oh, Yes. I remember that kitchen. It's still as lovely as ever.

o

Love your kitchen. Saw that you are in Lakewood. We are in slc now, but our very first kitchen Reno was 10 years ago in Hollywood Heights. We have done 4 more since then. Our house went on the market last month for 3 whole days (presume sold). The pictures on movoto showed the only thing they didn't change was my kitchen-not one bit!

o

So exciting for you! Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen being recognized! Super cool!

o

Wow, your back splash and bar is stunning. Would you mind explaining more about the kitchen faucet that avoids wet hands dripping on counter.

Carol

o

oldbat, I just posted pictures of the kitchen and they emailed me and asked if they could feature it. I was so flattered...

OntarioMom, that's an idea that I got from here actually. Several people here have done it. Instead of facing the controls to the side of the faucet, you face them toward the front of the sink. I don't think all faucets can face any way, you have to make sure they can work that way. It's been great for us...I love it.

o

Fabulous design & execution & tremendous recognition OP!
Congrats.

o

Thanks youngdeb. Very interesting to know. If I ever get the pantry and sink wall finished, I might try that too.

o

Awesome!!! And that backsplash is AMAZING, btw!

o

Your not only on Houzz, you just showed up in my inbox as "Kitchen of the Week". How exciting for you. You deserve it your kitchen is cool.

o

Youngdeb,

Thanks for the clarification on the faucet and avoiding drips. I see that the lever is on the side but the cylinder shaded controls face into the sink. I will try for the same set up. Thanks for the tip.

Carol

o

Congratulations. I saw your GW kitchen on Houzz-looks fantastic!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here