Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

My kitchen is on Houzz!

youngdeb
11 years ago

Many of you gave me great advice over the course of this project...thought you might find it cool that it made it onto that website!

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-practical-budget-friendly-beauty-in-dallas-stsetivw-vs~8192302-of-the-Week--Practical--Budget-Friendly-Beauty-in-Dallas

Comments (28)

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Cool! Congrats!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Great ideas. The reflective surfaces expand the space. I have read about the JennAir glass surfaces, but I haven't seen them used before. Good job!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Good job Deb!

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

Love that rotating bar! What a clever idea. Do you get much use out of it in practice?

Would you recommend against white cabinets based on your experience? Love the wood in your house.

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We use that bar every day. I wouldn't do lower white cabinets again, honestly. Uppers get less dirty at our house.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I love that pivot bar top! What a great innovation!

Congrats on making it to houzz!!

Suzi

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow! I love your pivot bar and it would have been perfect in our kitchen! Too late now but maybe next time!
    Love your colors and impressed with your budget!
    Thank you for sharing :-)

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I love MCM design. May I ask why you didn't flip the location of the fridge with the adjoining bar area to give you more room by the cooktop? Cost, layout/structural constraints, or this way just works well for you? Just wondering. Love your kitchen--that BS combined with the lyptus really make the whole kitchen pop!

• LE
    11 years ago

That is a wonderful space. It looks very "today" but I don't think it will ever scream 2013, because it is not a clone of a magazine layout. The rotating bar counter is ingenious-- I liked it a lot even before I knew it was movable, as an example of what could be done with a low kitchen window when you still really wanted to use the space. I love the color palette, too-- I would never tire of it. Great job! (minor question, but what pulls are those?)

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We didn't move the fridge because we didn't move anything! We have plenty of room on either side of the cooktop, but the "barrier island" is a huge bummer. If I had spent another 30 grand or so we would have completely reconfigured the room. The fridge would have moved to the pantry spot, the cooktop to the wall adjacent to the sink, the ovens would have been stacked on the wall they're on....etc. But we didn't want the interruption to our lives and we didn't want to spend the money.

I can't remember the pulls, sorry. They're pretty easy to source - I found similar on lots of websites.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

How exciting! Congratulations on getting on Houzz. It's a great kitchen.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Congrats!!!!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

It looks great! They did a wonderful piece on it. I just love that swiveling counter.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

congrats! your kitchen is one of my inspirations. it is so fresh and has so many unique elements!

a questions for you, i also did the same quartzite for my counters and am trying to figure out backsplash tile now. my counters seem to have a greenish/grey tint, so I am wondering if yours is similar? Is your fireclay tile blue or blue/green colored?

This post was edited by michoumonster on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 16:47

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

I have a barrier island, too--I feel your pain. You did a great job of updating. Enjoy!

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michou, ours have a lot of gray in them as well but lean towards blue undertones, not green. We waffled between fireclay Crater Lake (which we used) and Kiwi. I think either would have looked good, honestly. It's a pretty clear blue, not much green. Slightly grayed down.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Hooray!!! I'm so happy for you:) I tell you, every time I look at your kitchen, the tile you picked makes me smile. The color is so perfect for your space.

Now have to ask - how does one get on Houzz? I'd love to hear the story. Best, oldbat2be

• Jfay
    11 years ago

Oh, Yes. I remember that kitchen. It's still as lovely as ever.

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen. Saw that you are in Lakewood. We are in slc now, but our very first kitchen Reno was 10 years ago in Hollywood Heights. We have done 4 more since then. Our house went on the market last month for 3 whole days (presume sold). The pictures on movoto showed the only thing they didn't change was my kitchen-not one bit!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

So exciting for you! Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen being recognized! Super cool!

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Wow, your back splash and bar is stunning. Would you mind explaining more about the kitchen faucet that avoids wet hands dripping on counter.

Carol

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oldbat, I just posted pictures of the kitchen and they emailed me and asked if they could feature it. I was so flattered...

OntarioMom, that's an idea that I got from here actually. Several people here have done it. Instead of facing the controls to the side of the faucet, you face them toward the front of the sink. I don't think all faucets can face any way, you have to make sure they can work that way. It's been great for us...I love it.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Fabulous design & execution & tremendous recognition OP!
    Congrats.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Thanks youngdeb. Very interesting to know. If I ever get the pantry and sink wall finished, I might try that too.

• rebeccamomof123
    11 years ago

Awesome!!! And that backsplash is AMAZING, btw!

• localeater
    11 years ago

Your not only on Houzz, you just showed up in my inbox as "Kitchen of the Week". How exciting for you. You deserve it your kitchen is cool.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Youngdeb,

Thanks for the clarification on the faucet and avoiding drips. I see that the lever is on the side but the cylinder shaded controls face into the sink. I will try for the same set up. Thanks for the tip.

Carol

• cardamon
    11 years ago

Congratulations. I saw your GW kitchen on Houzz-looks fantastic!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms