Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do quartz counters bleach out or stain?

Posted by mjtx2 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 9:55

Wandering through Lowes kitchen area yesterday and got into a discussion with a kitchen salesman on the merits and cons of quartz. She said quartz will, indeed, stain, and that bleach or foods that bleach would actually lighten the quartz top. I'd always heard quartz was better for stains than granite. What's the truth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do quartz counters bleach out or stain?

IDK about the stains but I saw a remnant at a local store that had been sitting outside for some time and the top was a different color than the bottom part shielded from the sun by other remnants.

The color fades when exposed to direct sunlight. Part of my counter is next to the window with a lot of sunshine coming in the morning, that is why I abandoned the idea right away though I already had a pattern picked out.

Don't know if that helps any.

o

I've had my Silestone countertops since April of 2002 and have never had any staining or bleaching. I do have a few small chips on a well used section of it. I can't see them from above but can see them when I look across it. The front edge around the undermount sink feels rough to the touch though it still looks fine.

o

I think some people have written about the colour changing in light coloured quartz - I have Cambria's Bristol Blue (dark blue) and over 3 or 4 years now have had no change whatever, even though part of it is in direct sunshine.

We spill tomato, red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, whatever all over it on a regular basis (well, not intentionally). It's never, ever stained.

No chips in mine either.

o

"Quartz" is made out of quartz stone dust and resin. Yes, the resin yellows over time and exposure to UV. It shows most in the light colors, which is why they try not to install them outdoors.

There is a good previous thread on staining.

It is theoretically possible to stain the resin, and the right chemical that does not belong in a kitchen could even stain the stone dust, but in general spots will come off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here